New Gold Detecting Pick

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It isn't until you go buy a new pick that you realise just how worn out your old one is 🤣
Bought a big brother this time, ground killer, time to strip 😎
View attachment 10942

I've found the easiest way to resurrect an old pick is to overlay a good piece of wear plate on the tip.

Pick.jpg

That way you can easily grind the worn tip off and replace it whenever you like. Don't weld across the back or it'll snap at that point.

I've found the easiest way to resurrect an old pick is to overlay a good piece of wear plate on the tip.

View attachment 10946

That way you can easily grind the worn tip off and replace it whenever you like. Don't weld across the back or it'll snap at that point.
Broke it in today, absolutely love it, cuts through the ground like cheese.
When the spade end gets blunt, can I use a grinder to sharpen it or will that soften the steel?

Broke it in today, absolutely love it, cuts through the ground like cheese.
When the spade end gets blunt, can I use a grinder to sharpen it or will that soften the steel?
I sharpend my old pick with a grinder....took a bit of grinding I can tell ya! And no where near the original shape, but has held up pretty well. It's my big pick, and dosnt get much use though to be honest, it was my only pick for a few years though.

I've learnt something valuable from this pick, keeping it sharp will reduce energy use big time particularly the spade side when stripping the gravel-less inches off the top to determine a possible deep target.
Most of my energy is consumed by the scrapes, but it has to be done.

depends on the steel mackka
you get
air hardening steel
water hardening steel
oil hardening steels
depends on what the steel is used for

people get the hardening and tempers process back to front mackka

harden then temper
when it is hardened the steel can be quite brittle that is why you temper it

you don't want to forge a nice cold chisel and first hit with the hammer and it explodes into thousands of pieces and shreds the wrist mackka not good mate
that's why you temper it to a certain hardness
different colours define how hard you want the steel to be mackka

that's why you have to be very carefull when using a angle grinder to sharpen the pick
if it is to hot to touch you have more than likely already started to change the temper
here is a little chart mackka

temper colurs.JPG
dull red to bordering on bright red are about the scope for hardening most steels (heated till it is non magnetic what they call critical temperature)

from light straw to dark grey are the common temper colours
cheers mate hope that cleared the muddy waters for you mate

Last edited:
forgot to mention too mackka that the smiths were in a darkish environment
you could see the true colours that way ,that's why the old blacksmiths shops were a dark place
joe blogs in the shed at home with the angle grinder in the normal light of a shed the colours are quite higher
faint straw would be about dark straw

Wear after 2 sessions..
View attachment 11126

That's a lot of wear. Youre obviously digging too much gold ;)
That pick of mine, made from an old rusty plough disk, in the above photo has done two full seasons, more than 1500 (small) nuggets. I wouldn't have any reason to sharpen the blade end because it's hardly changed.

That's a lot of wear. Youre obviously digging too much gold ;)
That pick of mine, made from an old rusty plough disk, in the above photo has done two full seasons, more than 1500 (small) nuggets. I wouldn't have any reason to sharpen the blade end because it's hardly changed.
My last session I thought ide start with a little exploration dig, thought ide strip inch by inch and goldmonster it to see if theres any fly poo.
Striping gravels with the spade end did the damage..
20230910_112901.jpg
It only took 2 hrs, zero colour but the profile view revealed an interesting anomaly..
20230910_112613.jpg
15 mins to back fill and rehab..
20230910_114719.jpg

Latest posts