Need some advice about steel carport please guys

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys ,
Just brought a steel 2 car carport , got it cheap so pulled it down got it home , when I pulled it down I found it had never been fixed to the ground ? , so I'm planning on putting it back up soon , my question is about fixing it to the ground , as I want to leave it at its current height , I was thinking of getting some steel that fits inside the currant posts and cementing into ground then slipping posts over it ? Or I was told that I could use. Post stirrups ? But I thought post stirrups are for wooden posts ? We're I am it's sometimes gets bad wind storms , so need to fix the posts right , also the carport is 21 foot wide so needs to be fixed right ,

So please guys what do you think is the way to go ?

Hi Koori , if you are in high wind area, I would make certain that its fixed/concreted in . Your idea is good, but dont just slip the posts over, but bolt or weld them in, so the wind doesn't pick it up & deposit it across the road.

Cheers Paul

Edited for typos

Hay Koori,
What size are the posts? I'm assuming they are square tube, if so you should be able to find some tube to fit inside them.
Your local metal supplier should be able to help you out just make sure they are galvanized, the same with your bolts.

Like HB said make sure they are well anchored into the concrete footings. Drill a hole through the tube and put a piece of rod (say 10mm) or a bolt through it before you concrete them in so they can't pull out. Bolt the legs of the carport to the ground posts with 10mm bolts.

I'm no Engineer but for a carport this size I would think your footings should be at least about 300 x 300 x 400 or 500 deep.
Minimum standard coverage for steel in concrete is 50mm.

Hope this helps you out. Like I said I'm no Engineer, all my experience comes from the University of Life.
If you want it properly spec'd you should go and see a qualified Engineer.

Cheers
Mick

Thanks guys , will go with the post inside idea , and bolt thru the posts , thanks for the help

Hi koori
Saw your call for help so I will throw my 2 cents in.
I have an engineering company in melb.
High wind area + carport = parachute.
One bolt through the post may not be enough.
A base plate fully welded to each post.
You will need minimum 2 x M12 tru bolts with embedment in to concrete 150mm on each post.
The footings detail sound about right
If you need more detail email me at [email address removed for privacy reasons, please use email link in profile - Nugget]
You will get one opportunity to get it right, your neighbor may not appreciate a carport in their lounge room
Cheers Ryan

Thanks Ryan , appreciate the help , was thinking around the foot and a half to 2 foot for each post deep

You shouldn't have too much troubles with that. I grew up in the Riverina, the soil structure and wind loads in the region will be ok.
My rule is, if you are unsure? Over engineer it !

I just put up a shed and the footings are 500 diameter X 1000mm deep min.
Hope this will help.
Cheers
Brad...

Latest posts