NBN Choices

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaros

In Remembrance Nov. 2023
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone here suggest which NBN provider is a good choice to make regarding NBN. We should be getting it next year about February. We don't download movies etc. we are pretty light users. I have sort of thought about Exetel with 50-60 Megabit download speed. I'm not too sure whether to keep our home phone with Optus Cable Broadband which uses HFC cable and the NBN will be Fibre to the Curb which I think is a pretty good connection.
Any advice welcome.
Jaros. :(

they're like the banks. they're all B$%^&*()s
save the coin till Feb then just go 5G (assuming it will be available) :D
Im with iiNet. have been for a long time. they're fairly good. Their call centre/help line is usually fairly good.

For fiber to the curb It depends on which company you prefer to deal with as their prices are almost identical for now.
I can only say Avoid Dodo at all costs, worst customer service I have ever had to deal with.

But If you can access the iinet HFC service I highly recommend going with it over the fttc. The HFC is much faster, is priced well below the closest equivalent NBN option and the 12 month half price deal isn't bad either.

Yep AVOID DoDo we have a building in town where we asked for a new connection to use WiFi for multiple tenants, pretty simple. Oh no it wasn't all they managed to achieve was to disconnect an existing line used by a tenant that resulted in no service for 2 days, no website no banking no connection to the outside world :mad: their absolutely hopeless. At home we have wireless NBN internet through Telstra was supper fast in the early days now more have hooked up it's a little slower. Don't have any options other than wireless but I'm happy with that :)

I agree with a comment above. Stick to HFC.
5G is coming but I imagine the pricing will be up there with the speed!
1571008054_72182647_396438027958519_6748838225676075008_n.jpg

We don't have a landline at all but our mobile service is quite good.

1571009974_speedtest.jpg

This is using the Telstra Netgear Nighthawk modem that distributes our WiFi throughout the house or motorhome. The penalty is the cost of mobile $79 p/m for 80gb.

Stick with the big boys, we've been having major problems with the tin pot companies in the building I manage, 1 day qualified technicians etc, check to make sure your installer has an ACMA license and Public Liability otherwise show him the door!

Another thing to consider is land lines are going and all phones will either be mobile or VoIP, Telstra is cutting off the copper system as the proliferation of mobiles has made it uneconomic and expensive to maintain.

Most of our new connections in the highrise are Telstra, iinet, or Optus.

BigWave said:
For me it'll be a toss up between TPG and iiNet.
Don't expect much difference between them, but would be happy to be told otherwise........

They are both one and the same company, TPG bought out iiNet in 2015 for about 1.5bil

I am with Exetel and have found them generally to be very good to deal with, if they are going to have an outage they inform you beforehand. If you are going to keep a landline on NBN be aware that when you have a power outage you will also lose your phone if you are FTTH, not sure what happens if you are FTTN. I find mobile coverage to be such that I don't bother any more with a home phone.

We got rid of our home phone years ago.
I'm now with Boost mobile owned by Telstra.
$30 a month for 20 gigabytes with unlimited calls.
I just connect my laptop via wireless internet from the mobile phone, you can't go wrong and much cheaper than NBN.

If you're a business, there's 5g wireless which is faster and cheaper than NBN, which is only available in the cities at the moment.

Tpg own Internode as well, we have been with Internode for over 10 years...very good service from adsl right through to NBN.

Hey DD.
I won't argue with what you say as the writing is there.
But this is where it gets misleading because any foreign ownership can be Australian under the guise of citizenship..

All I'm saying is, I like to support Aussie owned, true and true. :inlove:
I know that comes with limits as well.

yeah Im with you on that Diggin4gold, & not looking for an argument, as I like to support Au biz too, & sometimes we do get (deliberately?) mislead, but im pretty sure that TPG (& hence iiNet) has at least a large Au holding by way of D & V Teoh. As far as I know they are both Au Citizens & live here ... but anyone correct me if Im wrong?
I dug up this to back that up.
1571051488_dampv_teoh_-tpg.jpg

Vodafone isn't AU owned tho'.

I have both HFC Optus cable and a Foxtel coax for the tele. I presume the telstra coax is better due to its construction.
Do you think I can get the tech to use the telstra cable? :(

diggin4gold said:
We got rid of our home phone years ago.
I'm now with Boost mobile owned by Telstra.
$30 a month for 20 gigabytes with unlimited calls.
I just connect my laptop via wireless internet from the mobile phone, you can't go wrong and much cheaper than NBN.

If you're a business, there's 5g wireless which is faster and cheaper than NBN, which is only available in the cities at the moment.

I did the same, but paid the $300 one off payment for 240gb for 12 months. :Y:

I am with IINET and am very happy with them.
My business here in Bega is FTTC.
In a power outage, I have a UPS holding the modem and interface units up.
The interface unit powers the ntc in the street in the case of a power interruption.
The whole lot shuts down when the batteries get down to 15%.
About an hours run time.
Then I switch to a Laptop and 4g hot spot.

Whisp said:
I am with Exetel and have found them generally to be very good to deal with, if they are going to have an outage they inform you beforehand. If you are going to keep a landline on NBN be aware that when you have a power outage you will also lose your phone if you are FTTH, not sure what happens if you are FTTN. I find mobile coverage to be such that I don't bother any more with a home phone.

Latest posts