Data Providers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishfull

Peter Johnson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
G'day all.
I have been having a lot of trouble with my providers upload and download speed for ages. Some says it's ok next like weekends and Monday mornings it's woeful. I do understand that there is a lot of internet traffic at these times but as you can see from my screen shot today on a Tuesday it's pretty ...well terrible. I was in a Patong/ Phuket hotel last year and the download speed there was 140 mbs and here it's like 13.6 with Belong which is an offshoot of Telstra. Sometimes I just give up and walk away. Someone who used to be on this forum said he got NBN and it was always dropping out.
Why can't we have good comms in this country. Yes it's a big place. Go to satellite comms or something.

My rants now over.
Cheers

1551751950_screenshot_2019-03-05-12-28-53.jpg

We ended up with NBN fixed wireless as we are out of town, for the first couple of months we asked for a down load of 12 mbs and ended up with around the 4 to 5 most days, so we upped it to 25 mbs and now seem to not have a great deal of trouble, have copied some of our problems from another forum, we were not the only ones.

Post by 2lateagain on Mar 6, 2017 at 11:00am
Few months ago as we were off contract with Australias dearest phone provider and the NBN has just arrived in our area, fixed wireless, decided that we would go NBN as that is the way of the future. Chose a provider in one of the larger towns in Victoria who all spoke in a language I could understand. Signed up for internet plus phone. Received the modem very quickly and the aerial was fitted, good to go on internet, asked where the phone was and that would be about 2 weeks before connected as the dearest phone provider claimed that our client number that had been correct for paying bills for the past 2 years was not correct and they would have to work off the telephone number. :eek:

So it took some 6 weeks to get the phone switched over to NBN. Finally got it, but took another 3 days to get it so we could make calls, then we found we could make one call and then nothing, the phone was dead, but could receive calls. Told to turn it off at the power point so that it could all 'reset'. Just about wore the switch out turning off and on. Finally decided to try an old push button phone and found that that worked all the time. So rang the maker of the cordless phone that we use and was assured by an operator overseas that all their phones were NBN compatible. After much mucking around I found that by plugging in the old phone through a series of adapters it made the cordless phone work all the time. All now working fine. :)

and a later one

Feb 14, 2018 at 6:30pm

Post by 2lateagain on Feb 14, 2018 at 6:30pm
So one again we are being led up the garden path, it all seems to be someone else's problem. For a couple of months we have been getting a speed of around the 22 to 23 mbs, paying for 25 mbs, but over the last week it has slowed down again, this morning it was just making 10 to 14 mbs, lodged another complaint, second in 3 days trying to get someone to look at the problem, finally got an e-mail from AAPT to say that they want more tests done by me over the next 2 days of peak and non peak readings and if that is not done and forwarded in the specified time (2 days) the case is closed. As we will not be here tomorrow it now looks like the case will be closed.

This afernoon we got the following message from our supplier..

Thank you for the speed tests. I can see that the speeds you are receiving vary quite a lot. This is due to the nature of NBN wireless. As there is no physical connection to the house, the signal that you receive can vary due to many different things.

The service plan you are on is up to 25mb/s download and up to 5mb/s upload. Unless you are basically next to a tower, the speeds you are expected to receive will not be at those speeds. The speeds you are receiving should be more than enough to do most things on the internet.

In conclusion, the service we are providing you meet the specifications that they NBN Co set. There is nothing that can be done to increase the speed from our end.

Kind regards,

So we are paying for service that we were never going to get and to boot the phone seems to have to take a day or two off every so often and it not until you want to use the phone that you become aware that it all has to be turned off and reset again which takes about 5 minutes, so if we have an emergency we have to ask it wait and to use a mobile requires a quick walk around the yard to find a service, but I do know that I can get a good signal standing on the roof of the house. I think the future generations are going to be very upset with my generation when they find out that we actually took two steps back with the NBN in country areas.

Very p***ed off
Graham

Our biggest problem is that when the normal phone goes down we have to use the mobile to make calls and they cannot be done from inside the house, excellent reception up on the roof of the house or just wander around the block until you hit a spot like on the wall of the dam, but that does not help when we have to check settings on the modem, there is a lot of yelling back and forth. You will eventually have to go with the NBN, but we still have times when we go to use the phone and nothing, takes about 5 minutes from when it is all turned off until it all back working again for a few more days. The old tins and a length of string probably a good thing to have in reserve for emergencies. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

What speed plan do you have?
A lot of telco's were selling plans they could not deliver and the ACCC is urging people
to follow up and apply for a refund.
https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/nbn-customers-urged-to-check-if-they’re-entitled-to-a-refund

I am one of the lucky ones with FTTP, had the NBN tech install where I wanted it in the house [before they changed the rules]

Never had a drop out in 4 or 5 years I have had NBN..

The speed never deviates, I can be downloading 10 movies at once, Mrs watching a lecture on the big tv, and others
watching netflix, all at once.

1551754450_capture.jpg

My real estate agent has told me it will value add when I sell considerably.

Dunno what they'll do at our place. We have Optus HFC for the internet and home phone as well as Telstra Cable TV -no copper lead in at all. The NBN database says they will be doing a FTTC connection. Scratch head time.

Complain to the Telecommunications Ombudsman.... Or change providers as you are not getting what you pay for.. Tell them that you NEED the phone for Emergencies and you can't call If there is an Emergency, What happens then?.... Put it back on them that IF something happens You will hold them responsible for the out-come as they are not meeting their commitment with you.. Perfect reason Not to pay your bill... and find Someone else who can guarantee phone connection 24/7

I have just been switched over to the NBN(not better Network) through Foxtel and have had no issues with the New set-up, So far... But then again im in the City...

LW.....

That is what I have here in my business FTTC.
Had no problems with it and pay for a 50mbps service.
On a busy day I have had down to 44, never lower.
Initially had a few short dropouts but apart from that, No problems at all.
IInet.

I found out not long ago that I can put fttp.
Not really needed.

Activ8me wireless to the house and wireless inside the house to everything.

I have heard terrible reports about Activ8me dropping out, etc but I think that is for hard wired customers in suburbia. We are rural and have had 1 drop out in 3 years and that was for 1-2 days because of major storm damage or something.

Did this today.

1551769133_ping_test.jpg

5.44 p.m when all of the local kids in town will be playing Fortnite and watching Youtube. Both my sons in our house on Fortnite and me on the PC.

We are a bit the same as Redfin in that we can have X 2 Fortnite games going, be streaming a movie and be watching gold videos all without too many issues.

The 1 thing that plays HAVOC with our internet is when the microwave starts up!! Streaming movies buffer and Fortnite lags terribly. You can put money on there being a cry out of "How long until the microwave is finished" :lol: :lol:

Activ8me also gives you the option of just internet and not having to pay for a home phone. We don't want or need a home phone but when we went to go with Telstra it was not an option. Why pay for something that you are not going to use?

Wishful said:
Why can't we have good comms in this country. Yes it's a big place. Go to satellite comms or something.

I don't think satellite would be your answer. It's our link to the civilized world and it's pretty damn slow. Get's affected a lot by the weather and not necessarily just cloud/rain.
Here's my ping on a good day with no problems.

1551779891_ping.jpg

On a bad day it's also walkaway.

When ever I complain to Telstra they always run the ping from the local exchange, which is after the satellite link, and that returns a ping at 18ms (I think) which they say is acceptable. They will not include the satellite link in the ping. Although our IP address is given as Brisbane or near there.
Although also according to Telstra we are still running 3G, which he found unbelievable.

I'm just over it. When at home I use Wifi and I try to load up PA for instance then I just see this blue line that just sits there, so I disconect the WiFi and go to my telstra plan and so my mobile plan usage is going up. You gotta wonder whats going on.

Cheers.

That's strange. Because my Telstra results are worse than yours but generally not having that problem. Mainly videos not loading smoothly, server connections timing out or connection dropping out.

Well I'm from the dial up age so I'm happy with what I've got. Although I must add that I have no inclination to want nor demand 4k streaming etc etc. I surf the net, I watch some youtube, the rest of the household stream netflix, xbox/ps4 and their laptops etc/phones etc.

My download speed is only 19mbps and I'm in Melbourne city. But then I dont download movies etc.

I think your problem Wishfull is not your service but rather your ping speed.

I'm not an I.T. person but I suggest you change your DNS or 'Domain Name Server', hereinafter nameserver, in your router configuration.

One of the things that the Nameserver does is changes the web address that you want to go to e.g. www.prospectingaustralia.com into an I.P. address.

This is, I'd imagine, some rack server somewhere in the laundry cupboard of skynet lol

Anyway this server deals with many requests from many users, looks up each requests and then send your browser the information it needs to get to the wesite that you want to view.

Some nameservers are very slow, the Australia Post of the computer world if you will.

If you change your nameserver i.p. address in your router configuration you will see better results.

You can download something like DNS benchmark to 'ping' all of the nameservers near you and you're bound to find one that can ping in under 20ms, it should see you very happy.

All you do is change the DNS server I.P. provided by your ISP, Internet Service Provider - 'Belong', in your Router to the I.P. address of the DNS Server that gave you the lowest ping speed and your good to go.

I used a download/tool called 'namebench' from google to sort my internet out. Its not a regular program install but it did work well for me. Whenever my internet is bobbins, which is rarely, I extract and run Namebench.

I've just had a google. You should read this...

https://techonation.com/best-dns-benchmarking-tools/

It is also worth changing the channel your Wifi, if you use it, is transmitting on. Sometimes your neighbour/s, if you have them, can also be on the same channel and just like a two way radio the interference makes connectivity problematic.

Perhaps , if you can afford to, get an Independent Person who knows this 'Ping Pong' stuff to check out your installation and help you understand what is going on... If you are like me, I know jack about this stuff and would get someone in to look at it or I just call my Daughter who works for Foxtel to sort any issues I have out... Just an idea..

LW.....

Folks, if you can work out a GPX4500 then you can 100% work out the 'ping pong'. Google and youtube are your friends. Keep your money in your pocket and learn something new. :p

Wishfull, I am on the speed pack, 100 mbs with unlimited data.
The only reason I have that pack is I have a family of four here, 3 of which are studying and require fast streaming, usually all at once.
It is also expensive @ $100 / month, but everyone chips in so $25 a month.

Prior to NBN I had Optus cable, with average speeds of 3 or 4 mb download speeds.
If I was on my own I would still be happy with that.

Your 13mb download speed should provide seamless streaming and not unreasonable downloads.

Just make sure you are paying for the appropriate service, if not contact ACCC re refunds.
https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/nbn-customers-urged-to-check-if-they’re-entitled-to-a-refund

1551825640_capture.jpg

There are so many people who have been sold 50 mb sec packs which were totally not achievable.

Diggit does Namebench work on android phones.
It must be my phone dns because my PC laptop is okay.
Not knowing what I'm doing re dns change is a worry I don't want to stuff up my phone.

It seems to me that I need to go to Belong on my Wifi settings and do a long push and then go to modify network configuration. Then show advanced options. That's as far as I've gone with it.
Am I on the right track ?

Wishfull said:
G'day all.
I have been having a lot of trouble with my providers upload and download speed for ages. Some says it's ok next like weekends and Monday mornings it's woeful. I do understand that there is a lot of internet traffic at these times but as you can see from my screen shot today on a Tuesday it's pretty ...well terrible. I was in a Patong/ Phuket hotel last year and the download speed there was 140 mbs and here it's like 13.6 with Belong which is an offshoot of Telstra. Sometimes I just give up and walk away. Someone who used to be on this forum said he got NBN and it was always dropping out.

My rants now over.
Cheers

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1551751950_screenshot_2019-03-05-12-28-53.jpg

Maybe it's the ancient detector you have lol:
1551832661_20190306_110531.jpg

Latest posts