National Crisis, Dimmy Shortage

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been aware of the Dimmy shortage for the last month or so but it's getting to the point of national shame imo. Apparently the manufacturer for Dimmy's in Victoria at least is based in Maribyrnong which may have been damaged by the local floods.

If it continues I might have to have a chat with the elected members both state and federal 😅 it's un Australian.

Arhh the ol' Dimmy's, we always called em Mystery's... cause ya never know what ya may get inside; Pork, Chicken, Beef, Dog, Cat, Possum, Roo, Neighbour

bloody good though 👍

Years ago we use to get takeway Chinese from a place in town, was the best around by far, everyone went there until one day in the local rag it said they got bustard using possum in their special flied lice. Could never work out what the fuss was all about, was bloody nice but unfortunately that was the end of that business

Simmo it is called a Dim Sim, explanation is Dim as in dark , Sim as in something in middle, it is Chinese of origin. When I lived in Sydney many moons ago the Chinese restaurant not far from where we lived was done many times for cat skins in the garbage, have never eaten Chines, but the way things are going may have to learn.terrific.gif

Simmo it is called a Dim Sim, explanation is Dim as in dark , Sim as in something in middle, it is Chinese of origin. When I lived in Sydney many moons ago the Chinese restaurant not far from where we lived was done many times for cat skins in the garbage, have never eaten Chines, but the way things are going may have to learn.View attachment 6467
Actually dim sims originated in Melbourne in about 1945, so about as Chinese as chop suey that was invented in San Francisco around 1896. Made by ethnic Chinese but not historically Chinese but western, dim sims being mainly eaten in Australia and New Zealand. Dim Sim is not even a Chinese term but originated here , it is probably based on dim sum (dumplings). Chop Suey translates as "miscellaneous leftovers" which is what a Californian restauranteur originally made it from.

I've been aware of the Dimmy shortage for the last month or so but it's getting to the point of national shame imo. Apparently the manufacturer for Dimmy's in Victoria at least is based in Maribyrnong which may have been damaged by the local floods.

If it continues I might have to have a chat with the elected members both state and federal 😅 it's un Australian.
Cannot possibly see that as an issue bloke ? No cats in your area ? 🤔

Actually dim sims originated in Melbourne in about 1945, so about as Chinese as chop suey that was invented in San Francisco around 1896. Made by ethnic Chinese but not historically Chinese but western, dim sims being mainly eaten in Australia and New Zealand. Dim Sim is not even a Chinese term but originated here , it is probably based on dim sum (dumplings). Chop Suey translates as "miscellaneous leftovers" which is what a Californian restauranteur originally made it from.
Spot on goldierocks, Dim Sum dumplings is the original. Made in Melbourne by a bloke of Chinese decent, he first shared them with a friend who ran a Fish N Chip shop. The bloke running the Fish N Chip shop came up with the idea to fry them and the Dim Sim (Dimmy's) came to be.

Spot on goldierocks, Dim Sum dumplings is the original. Made in Melbourne by a bloke of Chinese decent, he first shared them with a friend who ran a Fish N Chip shop. The bloke running the Fish N Chip shop came up with the idea to fry them and the Dim Sim (Dimmy's) came to be.
Great Australian innovation, and a monument to multiculturalism - continuing even to evolve with the South Melbourne dim sim (round, heavier crust, more spice). I remain a traditionalist...

I'm starting to twitch every time I walk past a fis n chip shop. Definitely needs to be tabled as a priority.
I went out and bought some for lunch during this discussion and have stopped shaking - still available locally but apparently to become the culinary toilet paper. Our fish and chip shop may impose rationing....empty freezer shelves...horrors unimaginable, like the Great Tim Tam Famine.

Last edited: