Where/How to make a deal with a licence owner to prospect and share found gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here and saved money to go on my second gold prospecting adventure. I am from overseas and will only be in Australia for 2 weeks in August.
Last September I only found in total one 0.6g piece using a Section 40E permit (-29.31237466232033, 121.77228157017987) and lots of trash but I am still fanatic about finding gold. This time I want to do better/have more luck so I booked a 5 day tour from "PIRATES GOLD PROSPECTING TOURS".
So I will have 5 more days and I am wondering how I can find someone who lets me prospect on their ground in exchange for some % of gold found. I think I will again fail at finding a good spot to place Section 40E blocks with no experience just from TV/forum search/google maps and using mineral tiles online. For me it is more about the experience finding something during that time so I am fine with making such a deal in order to have a higher chance of finding something not just be disappointed again by choosing a bad spot.

How do I find someone to make such a deal with (for example someone who does not have enough time to prospect himself or someone who is willing to let us join their prospecting). In this forum? Or somewhere else? Is it dangerous in the sense that I risk getting robbed (detector)? What do you think?
Please give me some hints. Thank you very much!

Best regards!

Hi all, I am new here and saved money to go on my second gold prospecting adventure. I am from overseas and will only be in Australia for 2 weeks in August.
Last September I only found in total one 0.6g piece using a Section 40E permit (-29.31237466232033, 121.77228157017987) and lots of trash but I am still fanatic about finding gold. This time I want to do better/have more luck so I booked a 5 day tour from "PIRATES GOLD PROSPECTING TOURS".
So I will have 5 more days and I am wondering how I can find someone who lets me prospect on their ground in exchange for some % of gold found. I think I will again fail at finding a good spot to place Section 40E blocks with no experience just from TV/forum search/google maps and using mineral tiles online. For me it is more about the experience finding something during that time so I am fine with making such a deal in order to have a higher chance of finding something not just be disappointed again by choosing a bad spot.

How do I find someone to make such a deal with (for example someone who does not have enough time to prospect himself or someone who is willing to let us join their prospecting). In this forum? Or somewhere else? Is it dangerous in the sense that I risk getting robbed (detector)? What do you think?

Best regards!
There are quite a few Pending leases around which would suit your 5 days after the Pirates tour. No need to bother with 40e permits or seek permission for active leases.

There are quite a few Pending leases around which would suit your 5 days after the Pirates tour. No need to bother with 40e permits or seek permission for active leases.
Thank you. So does that mean that such permission seeking is rather uncommon?

In the link I read "Secondly, should always contact the station owner to advise where you are camping and assure them you will abide by the rules." Can you please explain "station owner" in this context. You mean like cattle station? But is there always such a station and how to find the ownerCattle stationCattle station?

Thank you. So does that mean that such permission seeking is rather uncommon?
Some people do arrange an agreement with a licence holder. These are usually tribute agreements where you get agreed access to a part or parts of the licence in return to agreeing to give a % of all gold found. There often is an indemnifying clause so that the licence holder is covered if you breech parts of the act. Usually these agreements will have some agreement to stop you from pegging a SPL. They also like to know locations of all gold found and usually include the prospector doing an expenditure form.
You could always send a letter to a licence holder and ask if they would be interested in that type of agreement or even if they would just let you go onto the lease.
They are not uncommon agreements, but usually would be with experienced prospectors and people who have are known to the licence holder.

In the link I read "Secondly, should always contact the station owner to advise where you are camping and assure them you will abide by the rules." Can you please explain "station owner" in this context. You mean like cattle station? But is there always such a station and how to find the ownerCattle stationCattle station?
Station owner = pastoral lease holder, so the people who have the cattle, sheep or whatever station.....
Its always good practice to contact them either by phone, letter or email and tell them where you plan to prospect and possibly camp. You dont really want to be wandering around the bush and the kangaroo shooter mistakes you for a roo.....So contact gives them a chance to let you know if any areas are an issue. Its also useful if you happen to get lost so at least the station people know the rough area you are in.
Finding the station owner details is a bit tricky sometimes.....using tenegraph, click on "cadastre"on the left "layers" area. Then right click on the map on your area of interest. Select "find data on the map". In the left side "layers" area, "pastoral leases" will show up if there is one. Get the name of the lease, email the DMP and ask for the contact name and the email/postal address.

Some people do arrange an agreement with a licence holder. These are usually tribute agreements where you get agreed access to a part or parts of the licence in return to agreeing to give a % of all gold found. There often is an indemnifying clause so that the licence holder is covered if you breech parts of the act. Usually these agreements will have some agreement to stop you from pegging a SPL. They also like to know locations of all gold found and usually include the prospector doing an expenditure form.
You could always send a letter to a licence holder and ask if they would be interested in that type of agreement or even if they would just let you go onto the lease.
They are not uncommon agreements, but usually would be with experienced prospectors and people who have are known to the licence holder.
OK that's how it works then, thank you. I had thought people find each other in forums like this one but contacting directly licence holders makes more sense.
Station owner = pastoral lease holder, so the people who have the cattle, sheep or whatever station.....
Its always good practice to contact them either by phone, letter or email and tell them where you plan to prospect and possibly camp. You dont really want to be wandering around the bush and the kangaroo shooter mistakes you for a roo.....So contact gives them a chance to let you know if any areas are an issue. Its also useful if you happen to get lost so at least the station people know the rough area you are in.
Finding the station owner details is a bit tricky sometimes.....using tenegraph, click on "cadastre"on the left "layers" area. Then right click on the map on your area of interest. Select "find data on the map". In the left side "layers" area, "pastoral leases" will show up if there is one. Get the name of the lease, email the DMP and ask for the contact name and the email/postal address.
Thank you a lot for the detailed instructions!

Best regards!
Hi Germanguy, if you get the Trilobite app and pay for whatever state you plan to detect in, it will give you all the details of live and pending leases, it will also give you contact details of lease holders so you can contact them and ask permission/work out a deal to allow you to detect on thier lease, and it will show you exactly where you are in relation to where you are detecting so you don't stray on to areas you your not allowed to go on. Regards from Dave

Hi Germanguy, if you get the Trilobite app and pay for whatever state you plan to detect in, it will give you all the details of live and pending leases, it will also give you contact details of lease holders so you can contact them and ask permission/work out a deal to allow you to detect on thier lease, and it will show you exactly where you are in relation to where you are detecting so you don't stray on to areas you your not allowed to go on. Regards from Dave
Thats a very important hint, thank you very much, is the "Australian Geology Travel Maps" from "Trilobite Solutions" the correct app?