My first treasure!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodstar

Rod Jones
Reaction score
Hi all
I found a 1949 half penny!
i thought i would take my detector to the local park and start practising and mucking around with the settings on saturday morning. its quite a large park near the beach and is always well used by the public for kids parties and BBQs. the first thing i dug up was a nail and then the next hole out popped this half penny :)
i spent about an hour and a half there and only travelled about ten metres due to the amount of stuff that lay within the ground. after i had finished i ended up with quite a bit of junk, ten cents and a half penny. i also got pretty good at cutting a flap of grass out and replacing it back over the hole, most holes you wouldnt even know i had been there!
so what is the best way to clean up old coins?

Rod

Great work Rodstar! Until you start to wave a coil about, you don't realize just how much metal is under our feet. What you'll also find is that old coins can turn up ANYWHERE! It's better to go 'low and slow' to make sure you cover the area, so the distance you cover isn't that important. I'd rather cover 10 meters for 20 coins than 100 meters for 1 coin. Just remember to have fun! Happy Hunting.

Well done Rod, you never forget your first :lol:

In terms of cleaning Copper coins I wouldn't bother, I've tried many different methods all of which have destroyed the coin even more. You best bet is a soft toothbrush and warm soapy water. Silvers are a different story and clean up very well with a little bi-carb soda and water, making a paste gently rub the coin between your fingers.

Thank you for taking the time to learn how to correctly cut a plug, unfortunately many jump right into digging a mess of a hole caring only for the potential treasure that lay beneath, this obviously has a negative impact on what we do. One thing to note (if you don't already know) is to make sure you cut your plug vertically and not on an angle, cutting on an angle cuts through the grass roots and can kill the grass.

Keep it up mate and I look forward to what you find next.

Nugget.

thanks mate, yep im doing the community a service by cleaning up the junk....... its kinda exciting too!

Well done,
I love seeing those old coins surface, As a few know that I am renovating the old house and just last week I picked up a 1952 penny sitting on top of the ground as bold as day.
Could be a few more just lurking under the disturbed ground.
Good luck on future hunts.
Cheers
Brad....

Might take my Kmart cheapo detector and hit up my dad's yard now, it's 3/4 acre with an old qld'er on it so should have ssome interesting things there

Hey BJ,
Mate the best places to check are usually under the bedroom windows, they old fellas came home from work and they used to air their duds out by hanging them out the window and quite often a few coins would go flying out into the grass, and not having lawnmowers back then the grass was usually long so any coinage flung usually was lost.
Also the front stairs and around the front gate and under the house, good luck and hope to hear about your success too.
Cheers
Brad.

the half penny i found is in the vicinity of a world war 2 coastal bunker, im thinking they must of had some kind of army camp here back in the day..... hmmm more research lol

Latest posts