Mushrooms

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlS

Karl
Reaction score
Anyone knows if the mushrooms started growing in Pine forests around Oberon? I'm thinking to go there this Saturday early, spend few hours panning and on the way back pick up some mushrooms.
Karl

Don't worry, I been picking mushrooms since I was small kid. In old country we had over thirty different mushrooms we collected. Here in Australia I pick only four.
Karl

It's like anything else in life. If don't know what are you doing you will occasionally stuff up. The difference is that with some stuff ups you may suffer bit of embarasmet or skin knee. With some stuff ups you may finish six feet under. How many people died in last fifty years for eating puffer fish. Yet Japanese chefs know how to cook same fish as delicacy.
I have been collecting and eating mushrooms for about sixty years. My grandmother teached me. In those times people were much wise as what is edible and how to prepare it. Times were hard after the war and there was not much food around.
If you got common sense it is possible to learn which mushrooms are safe to eat, especially because there is so few mushrooms to use from here in Australia. But, always remember if you stuff up there is seldom second chance.
Karl

Colin&Lee said:
It's certainly a skill I'd like to have. Pity we don't have edible wild Truffles here in Oz yet ;).

Cheers

Col
Do some research because I think there are.

Yep, was there 2 weeks ago fossicking & the place was crawling with mushroom hunters with BOOTLOADS of mushrooms. I'm don't know how long the season is but mushrooms I had seen on that occasion in the public fossicking area were not there this past weekend.

Good luck or rush!
Laurence

KarlS said:
It's like anything else in life. If don't know what are you doing you will occasionally stuff up. The difference is that with some stuff ups you may suffer bit of embarasmet or skin knee. With some stuff ups you may finish six feet under. How many people died in last fifty years for eating puffer fish. Yet Japanese chefs know how to cook same fish as delicacy.
I have been collecting and eating mushrooms for about six years. My grandmother teached me. In those times people were much wise as what is edible and how to prepare it. Times were hard after the war and there was not much food around.
If you got common sense it is possible to learn which mushrooms are safe to eat, especially because there is so few mushrooms to house from here in Australia. But, always remember if you stuff up there is seldom second chance.
Karl

Hi Karl, I am an also mushroom connoisseur and also have been thought by my parents and grandparents. I pick mushrooms not far from my house where there are large pine trees. It is good the locals don't picked them. More for me. :D

grab a bag of mushroom compost and put around a few plants in your own yard it looks after your plants and you get to eat any shrooms that pop up.

Mushrooms on the old pine or rotten wood, people need to be carefull, you may have the best night of your life or the worst

LD. said:
Yep, was there 2 weeks ago fossicking & the place was crawling with mushroom hunters with BOOTLOADS of mushrooms. I'm don't know how long the season is but mushrooms I had seen on that occasion in the public fossicking area were not there this past weekend.

Good luck or rush!
Laurence

Thanks for info Laurence. The season will last for while as long there is moisture in the ground and it is not too cold. I will go there on Saturday with kids and wife. Do couple hours of panning and then pick up some mushrooms.
Karl

The season is starting now (a late start) and yes there's lots of fungi coming up in the pine forests. Look for deep gullies with green grasses as these areas produce early flushes when conditions are less than ideal. I have also been picking, studying and photographing mushrooms for around 4 years now. Mushroom hunting and metal detecting are my two favorite hobbies and carry over well. When I'm looking for mushrooms I'm scanning the ground for mineralization and when I'm detecting I also take note of cool fungi that pop up nearby.

I'm in SA and generally our season starts later than the rest of the eastern states but there's already lots of lactarius deliciosus, agaricus sp., suillus luteus and even some boletus edulis (porcini) mushrooms popping up in the adelaide hills. Here's some shots of my finds from a couple weeks ago. Only one of these species is edible (raw) and that's the orange pine mushroom (lactarius deliciosus) The mushroom season should run through to around august

13375514694_ff1a407f1d_c.jpg

13375515114_ee809bc675_c.jpg

13375516264_ecb7b5edcb_c.jpg

13375338883_01c2a13a4b_c.jpg

13375516294_e6aaea8e92_c.jpg

lactarius deliciosus (above)
13375544224_1b11d7926e_c.jpg

13375546584_db75891f5d_c.jpg

13375544944_396d100271_c.jpg

13375338333_274581aac9_c.jpg

Good on you Karl, as you know it's a nice spot for a picnic too, enjoy! :)

G0lddigg@ said:
Colin&Lee said:
It's certainly a skill I'd like to have. Pity we don't have edible wild Truffles here in Oz yet ;).

Cheers

Col
We definitely have truffles here mate

I have 5 perigord inoculated trees in my garden ;). I meant wild ones like in Europe :D to fossick for your own ;) take your pet pig or dog for a walk

Cheers

Col

Hi Nuggetino
Nice pictures of mushrooms. You are very lucky if Boletus Edulis grows in your area. I have not found one in Australia yet.

Latest posts