Much out Lal-Lal way.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziii

Paul
Reaction score
Been doing some research on the Lal-Lal area & decided to go for a quick look out there last weekend, didn't go into the bush to far as I only have a 2wd & some of them tracks look a bit rough, we had seen a bit of rain the week before but it didn't look to wet though so that was alright.
Just wanted to get my bearings on the area to make it easier to work out where things were when looking on google maps & GeoVic 3 but had a little detect while out there for a couple of hours with my brother.
Only found the usual stuff, some bullets, lead shot some rusty metal etc, no gold for me yet,haha, wasn't really in the right area but thought we would have a go anyway.

Got ourselves a new Garret super sluice pan as well the other day so will have to find a spot to try that out, not sure how much water is in the creeks out Lal-Lal way though but probably not a great deal, hopefully enough to do some panning if I can get to a creek out there somewhere.
Has anyone had much success out Lal-Lal way, either detecting or panning, what are your thoughts on the area.

Gday ozziii,
I've gone out there about a dozen times to detect and have only got a penny.
It's a very interesting place regarding the various mineral types that were mined there but most of it was deep lead mining.
Just make sure you don't go panning in the Moorabool river and its tributaries as it's illegal.
Cheers Steve

Thanks Steve, yeah seems most rivers & creeks around this area are off limits, makes it hard to find a place to pan, oh well, nothing like doing a bit more research,haha.
I had heard the goldfields out that way weren't very rich but there might be something laying around worth finding, even a few coins or old relics would be nice. I found a few other area's I should be able to get to in my car where some quarts reefs & diggings were so will have to check them out if I can, might wait for the new coil we are getting though as it will be better & more sensitive.
I used to live out that way when I was around 7-9 years old, actually lived in the school house at one time & also just off Coalmine rd, not far from the Mt Doran diggings, never knew about gold detecting/prospecting back then apart from the mines we used to see while motorbike riding around Mt Doran area, wish I did.

Latest posts