Missing Prospectors & other Persons (WA) Western Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mudgee hunter said:
I think if you get yourself in a bad situation and you need to use it, the cost of savings this persons life is accurate, fast and dosent end up taking so many hours of trying to find them, that is even are noticed before they die. A recovery fee Maybee, but cop the whole fee of 100 people looking for you for days 200kms off target. Insurable policy against the fee of needing a call out perhaps.

This is another good reason why a sat phone with SOS function is maybe a better option as in the pre set messages you can have options that when sent describe the situation and it's level of priority . ie life threatening and non life threatening. Example run out of fuel compared to fallen down a cliff with 2 broken legs and internal injuries just doesn't require the same level of response. Prime example is ditch a plane in Bass Strait and you have approx. 20 minutes before hyperthermia kills you .................. that's if the sharks haven't before hand. This is probably the biggest problem with Epirbs at the moment as it simply sends a distress signal which leaves rescuers with not a clue of the situation they are dealing with

Another option is the Yellow Brick Road tracker powered by the Iridium network. You can hire them if you are planning an expedition. The beauty about these is they are active and will transmit your position on a regular basis, so where you are is always known plus you can and receive short messages.
https://www.ybtracking.com/products-yb3

I rely on having brightly painted cars and being pretty lazy so they don't go out of sight. Few years ago I painted one with glow
in the dark paint so all I had to do was wait until dark and then head towards the green glow.

" Police are seeking information from the public to locate missing 48 year old man Justin Paul DAVIES.

Mr DAVIES was prospecting in the Cue area with other family members. Around 6pm last night, Monday 8 January, Mr Davies was due to return to a camp at Webbs Patch, located approximately 24km east of Cue. His current whereabouts is unknown., WA Police say

Mr Davies is described as light skinned, 175cm tall, medium build, with brown eyes and greying brown hair. He was last seen wearing a long sleeve dark green shirt, shorts, a black and red baseball cap and boots."

Never good to hear ................... a hat a bit more appropriate to suit conditions than a baseball cap might have been a good idea to start :rolleyes: Hopefully he will turn up with nothing more than the tops of his ears sunburnt :Y:

another one
1515570754_4.jpg

Any updates? Unfortunately with today and yesterdays temp a sad ending is almost ineviatable

Very sad.

Our country can be very harsh for the ill prepared and even the prepared.

Take care out there

Yeah sadly some things there is just no coming back from and in an environment as harsh as the Oz outback can be and is, any mistakes can be fatal.
Early days as yet and may have been a heart attack or other factors involved ................. thoughts are with family and friends of this man.

RM Outback said:
X 2 Bogger well said.

Thanks RM ................... what makes this an even sadder event is apparently he was only 20 or 30 K from Cue . Sat phones, epirbs, GPS, whistles, compass and more can make the difference between being simply disorientated for a short while to never returning ever. Electronic devices aside there is one other item that I never leave my quad or vehicle without and I mean EVER ........................ that's a 50 cent bottle of water hanging from my belt.
Unfortunately Mad Tuna who would know the environment there better than most could foresee the likely outcome.
Guess I'm very saddened here as it is looking like a loss of a life that may well have been so easily avoided.

I spent 3 weeks at webbs patch last may and feel it is a reasonably easy area to navigate around in. I lean more towards snake bite , heart attack or heat stroke, but whatever it is a sad loss of another brother prospector
Jim

Sadly has been confirmed ....................... 2.5 k from his camp :(
But then is hard to believe the press as one report says experienced another report says first time prospecting. Judging by choice of hat I would guess it was the latter. Regardless a tragic loss as he also leaves behind a wife and several children.