Missing Prospectors & other Persons (WA) Western Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We see it on posts here all the time. Not too many take it seriously. Just because you have good navigation skills it doesn't mean you can find your way in this type of terrain. Most of the WA goldfields are void of recognisable features to aid in accurate navigation. Anybody can easily lose their way and if they do few will survive at this time of the year.

Just read an update,they found him,hitchhiking back to victoria
No Comment :rolleyes:
Moneybox we went out last fri,lookin on new ground,forecast was 42,camelback etc,no probs,we were on our way home by 1pm,it was real warm but plenty of water and all good,when i got home i had to go and load a dozer on a truck that arve,well that turned into a major job,was in a yard for 2 1/2 hrs,no shade,didnt take any water,could of got some off the boys at the yard but thought i was ok,got home and scraped the back fence with the tray gettin it in the yard (wasnt as good as what i thought i was) missus came up to open the fence and i said go grab some water im really dry,downed a bottle before i got out of the truck,then another.
Went inside layed down and half hr later both legs cramped up top to bottom and im startin to vomit a bit,id never experienced it before but it was minor heat stroke,makes ya realise how quickly things must turn bad here in the bush if its summer and ya got no water.....

It's not just water you need, you also need all the electrolytes that you lose when you perspire, the main one being magnesium. You have to drink things like Gatorade, Staminade or Powerade and on top of that if need be multi vita and mineral tablets. Loss of magnesium can lead to heart attack and as experienced by Goldchaser severe cramps.
When the temps are as high as what they are now you need at least four litres per day, one of the worst mistakes you can make is to take many small sips over time. Your body needs irrigating and to facilitate that chug as much fluid as you can to ensure your organs are hydrated.

Whisp said:
It's not just water you need, you also need all the electrolytes that you lose when you perspire, the main one being magnesium. You have to drink things like Gatorade, Staminade or Powerade and on top of that if need be multi vita and mineral tablets. Loss of magnesium can lead to heart attack and as experienced by Goldchaser severe cramps.
When the temps are as high as what they are now you need at least four litres per day, one of the worst mistakes you can make is to take many small sips over time. Your body needs irrigating and to facilitate that chug as much fluid as you can to ensure your organs are hydrated.

Just cant bring myself to put powerade or staminade in my camelback wisp but i might start carrying a little bottle of mag supplements then during the hotter months,pop the odd one on them hot days has to help hey,nuggets can go in the jar to,kill two birds with one stone....

Mate, the days of of the big tough bronze wal are over, aint none of us as bullet proof as when we were 18. Carry a small container of the dry powder and mix it as required, I always mix less powder than indicated on the destructions that way I can drink more over a longer period. I cannot overstate the dangers of electrolyte loss and along with that loss of fluids.

Whisp said:
Mate, the days of of the big tough bronze wal are over, aint none of us as bullet proof as when we were 18. Carry a small container of the dry powder and mix it as required, I always mix less powder than indicated on the destructions that way I can drink more over a longer period. I cannot overstate the dangers of electrolyte loss and along with that loss of fluids.

yeah im hearing ya,500gr bottle of electrolyte formula sitting in the corner of the kitchen bench,just noticed it (wifes a bit of a fitness girl),will try it out next day out,now if it was in the beer fridge i might of noticed it :)

yep PLB's should be mandatory plus a sat phone.

There also should be penalties for gooses who spark a search from thier own stupidity or unpreparedness, but then the dilemma is people not setting off thier PLB for fear of a penalty.

madtuna said:

There also should be penalties for gooses who spark a search from thier own stupidity or unpreparedness, but then the dilemma is people not setting off thier PLB for fear of a penalty.

Have to agree and also main reason purchased a Sat phone over Epirb. Many have a sos button that can send out pre set messages to several nominated people (Up to six which can include SAR) which includes co ordinates plus the many other uses of actually being a phone. Plans available thru Pivotel for only $15 a month no other cost unless phoning out. Oz sim card so any calls to the sat phone are standard mobile rate so the boss can call you and chat for a few hours each night if so be it ;) Carried in a penguin case its both waterproof and near on indestructible. Helped me out already when spiked two quad tyres on a tree stump in the middle of whoop creek.
No matter the situation important to stay calm as when panic arrives many times logic leaves and magnifies what is already a not so good situation. There is no coming back from death unfortunately.

1514502149_sat_phone_in_case_1.jpg

Whisp said:

Pretty spot on Whisp ..................... watch how a few elite athletes cross the finish line of a marathon dehydrated gives you a pretty good idea of how you would function in the middle of nowhere dehydrated :Y:

Had to beep and talk the wife back to the car the other week,her 5yr old etrex playing up a bit,she hit go to nearest and car was 1klm off,weve worked out its playing up just on the nearest button,go to waypoints and it seems ok,shes been using a spare lately,cant trust that one anymore,wouldnt of been lost where we were though,she knows the area well.
Alot to be said for knowing your surroundings,so if the shit hits the fan,gps,sat ph etc fails,we allways make sure we know ,east west north or sth to the nearest main rd,its not 1850 a used or main rd is usually not that far away in wa depending where you are.

madtuna said:

Many years ago MT, they talked about (at least in QLD) about mandating having a plb or similar for workers etc in the bush.. especially if they were on their own.
I bought that POS Spot messenger and it did indeed give piece of mind to friends and family..
The law never came in and mine safety now just ask what your evac plan is and where is your muster point....
I dont travel too far away from camp these days and have a sat phone (inmarsat) and gps on me..

I think if you get yourself in a bad situation and you need to use it, the cost of savings this persons life is accurate, fast and dosent end up taking so many hours of trying to find them, that is even are noticed before they die. A recovery fee Maybee, but cop the whole fee of 100 people looking for you for days 200kms off target. Insurable policy against the fee of needing a call out perhaps.