Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a used SDC off Gumtree a couple of weeks ago for $3,400 and with it came the original owner's paperwork, showing that he paid $3,790 cash in early July, which seems like it would have been a pretty good price at the time. I have no idea whether a similarly good price would be available from that dealer today though.

As a newbie, I don't have access to the PM system yet, but if you shoot me an email Nuggetino, I can give you more details.

thanks grubstake and sabogan. I've made a few calls and sent a few emails and seems $3700-3800 is the norm if paying cash.

That's an OK price, especially since they're so easy to resell if you find the SDC isn't working for you and the amount you stand to lose on doing so is pretty minimal.

Is there a trick to getting the skidplate off the coil for cleaning purposes, or does brute strength, ignorance and the power of leverage rule? It's certainly well-designed to never fall off, but I don't want to crack it in the process and I'd rather not sacrifice my fingernails if there's an easier way.

Hi grubsteak,

I was in the same position as you regarding not wanting to break the thing while removing it for a cleaning.

A fellow forum member mentioned trying something like a small spoon to gently pry it off and that worked very well in my case. If there's something better to use then anything is worth a shot provided no damage is done to the coil surfaces. There's definitely plenty of SDC's out and about now.

The skid plate is actually quite soft and flexible when off. I was shocked at the amount of dirt, sticks and leaves that had actually built up in there over a two week period. I'll definitely be covering the hole at the rear of the skid plate with tape next time I take it out for a swing. :)

All the best and kindest regards,
Shauno.

I just use my fingers to prise it off carefully...

Start near the coil shaft stem and work your way around...but don't pull too hard otherwise you might cause of bit of damage to the skid plate where the notches are, and it won't sit snugly when to put it back on.

I use a small teaspoon. There is a section on one side that once you get off then the rest seems to come easily. Needs a bit of practice :D
I was worried about breaking the skid plate but it is pretty flexible, like Shauno said, & I haven't managed to yet.

Thanks to all - mission successfully accomplished!

Using teaspoons as levers was the suggestion that helped the most and then working slowly around the rim until it's 2/3 detached. The skidplate is much more flexible than I expected once it's off - I'd guess that it's ABS plastic and pretty tough.

They're actually not tough at all - ask the Minelab service department about the complaints!

I'm on my third one now, after about 30 detecting days. I've never worn through any other skid plate before, either.

If you hold one up to the light, you can almost see through it!

Marty said:
Bought a 3 month old unit for 3k 2 days ago , needless to say smiles all round
You've done very, very well there, I believe. Hope it's a winner for you.

BTW, I'd highly recommend Black Al's amazing cover, if you're looking for some protection for your investment.

Just wanted to let you guys know that claims that SDC is good with electrical interference are completely false.
I have taken my SDC to places where I found gold with my ATX very close to power lines and SDC completely failed the test.Mashine was totally inoperable.I was unable to get any closer than 150-200 meters to high voltage lines.SDC becomes erratic even tuning down to level 1 don't make much difference.Tuning and re- tuning does nothing.Also weather changes result in getting many false signals.I had my mate with me and he was getting same results with his SDC.
On the other hand SDC has proved to be able to find gold in absolutely "flogged" areas.And size of some bits is literally microscopic.Less than 0,02 of a gramm.Some soil had to be taken home to pan to get gold out,it was that small.
Superior ground handling and simplicity of use definitely,head phones not so good had to upgrade to RPG with adapter also coil cover wear out quick (perhaps that is why they never available in abundance).

Regards,Alex

Worked ok for me

1415412044_image.jpg

Yeah might just be way to much voltage for the SDC to handle Alex, though under less voltage they seem to perform well as per Wally69 nugget.

Actually Wally and myself found an area where the SDC could not handle the hotrocks, drove us nuts. I think these are the extremes of conditions causing these issues.

It handles most conditions well I've found, planes are no problem for it usually.

Hi All
I am wondering if this is possible with good quality audio?

What I want to do is use the adapter lead (Nenad's lead) connect this to a booster & then use a wireless set-up like this,http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA2085
which Detrackozi recommended in another post, then use a wireless receive unit on my pack strap with a speaker.
Is it possible to do this & still get good audio? I may need the booster just before the speaker in the system?

As you can most likely see this tech stuff gets my head spinning.
cheers
Lee

I have a working wireless set up and it works great with my 5000, however when I tried to use the same wireless via a patch lead and BnZ booster I found that the transmit unit interfered with the 2300 in a major way no matter were I placed the transmit unit the 2300 was so sensitive that it had no worries at all picking up the tran's unit , move the unit just a fraction and the 2300 would false

I ended up using the BnZ via cable connection no problems

My Advice dont bother as the 2300 with its earlier timings is able to pick up a wireless transmitter with ease

Marty

Hey Marty
Thanks for that info.

Mate can you further explain the wireless set-up you, some pictures too if that's not too much trouble, please????
cheers
Lee

Latest posts