Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need something that does a better job at blocking the wind noise. Sunray Pro Golds are awesome for this. See my website for details.

PhaseTech said:
You need something that does a better job at blocking the wind noise. Sunray Pro Golds are awesome for this. See my website for details.
We're happy with the Sunray Pro Golds on the SDC but they have a big hinge near the ear piece that doesn't fit with the Funnel Web hat. Even on really windy day they still give a good clear sound. Unfortunately the SDC2300 doesn't handle the wind near as well. When we get home and I knock off a few of those hundred or so jobs waiting for me I intend to put a speaker on the top of the control panel so that the sound is directed to the operator instead of out the RH side. I hate having to modify something bought new to get it to work properly but with the SDC you have little choice.

Chuky boy said:
Yeah I'm right handed so the speaker is on the right side sounding away from me. Impossible to hear on a windy day. The sdc is definitely made to be used with head phones.
Couldn't agree more Chuky.
Speaker system is worthless except on very calm days when there isn't any external sounds to mask the subtle signals. I reckon the headphones that come with the sdc a pretty crap as well so i also bought a pair of the Sunrays and i've found them much better for staying on your head without the need for a hat to keep them in place, and getting dragged off your head when you put the detector down to dig a target, and they're more comfortable and better clarity in my opinion.
They're all hot on your ears and uncomfortable though in the warm weather unfortunately.

In hot weather just use a Frillneck hat. The flaps cover your ears and you just put the headphones straight over the top.

PhaseTech said:
In hot weather just use a Frillneck hat. The flaps cover your ears and you just put the headphones straight over the top.
I'll check em out Phasetech, never heard of Frillneck hats before. Cheers :lol:

I just had a look at the Frillnecks. We call them 'araphats' in the fishing industry. I wear 'soar tubes' (no hat involved) over my face when i'm out in the kayak or boat to avoid sunburn so i'll give one of them a go over my ears to see if they reduce the sweating from the speakers over my ears and don't interfere with the sound.

Been using the Frillneck for several years now.
Added advantage is the area of face exposed to flies can be adjusted by pulling the frills further forward and using a peg to clip the bottoms together.
Headphones are the only way to go with the SDC as wind distorts the small sounds.
Your choice of headphone, but you will need the adaptor from Nenad and they break if not treated VERY carefully. Strap them to the detector and brace the plug the phones go into.
Alternatively throw the warranty away and put a proper plug in the detector.
When the warranty is over I will be doing exactly that.
Minelab have produced a superb piece of electronics which is enclosed in a clumsy and semi functional housing.

I can't stand wearing headphones especially in the heat. Not to mention cords catching etc. To me they are an all round pain.
I've got my SDC set up with Nenads lead to an Avantree Bluetooth tx/rx low latency unit then have a booster/speaker on my harness hooked up to another Avantree Bluetooth tx/rx low latency unit attached just below my right ear. Using the volume control I don't find windy days a big issue - not as big an issue as hot, sweaty ears anyways. I still pick up very faint variations in the threshold & still get very small gold, a lot that doesn't register on my 0.02 incremental scale, as well as very faint signalling speccis. Both the stock headphones & speaker now sound too low in volume if I go back to them for comparison. Not saying that I get everything, I don't reckon anyone does, but going on the miniscule size of some of the gold I do get I reckon I'm not missing too much with this set up either.
Using the low latency Bluetooth tx/rx units is great too - no umbilical cords :lol: If I was going to use headphones in really bad wind etc. I would still use the Bluetooth & booster/speaker due to having no attachment to the detector, having volume control to adjust to suit conditions & to enhance what is pretty ordinary audio on the SDC in my opinion.
I'll try to get some pics of my set up posted sometime next week.
p.s. I've been using Nenads lead now since only a few weeks after they were being sold - have to be nearly 12 months or maybe longer? I've never had an issue with mine but I always tether any leads on my detectors especially at joins or places they can/will be moved or pulled on. When I post the pics I'll show this on the SDC. Loose, dangling leads on something constantly being moved, put down/picked up etc. is asking for trouble regardless of manufacturer.
A couple of smaller bits from last week in mildly windy & noisy underfoot conditions with the above set up:
1448678007_14486778790520.jpg

I agree mbasko, I too have settled on the Avantree LL Bluetooth combo and earbud headphones, I must say the setup is amazing and I pickup pieces that dont register on my scales [ < 0.01]. I also find the in ear blocks out the wind and dont cause me to sweat on hot days. The other thing I like is I can run with one out for safety at nightime. I find the Anvantree batteries last around 10hrs so no issues seeing a full day out. The other thing I love is when my wife comes I pair to unit to the SDC and we detect together.

I agree that any dangling lead will cause trouble and was trying to reinforce the instructions printed on the manufacturers sheet, not criticizing the lead itself.
Using headphones can put a lot more stress on whatever is used to "tether" the lead and its junctions. At $100 plus for the lead it is a good insurance policy to tether it.
Headphones are not for all, they suit my hearing, or should I say lack of, plus I detect throughout the year here in Leonora. Headphones keep flies out of my ears and reduce the buzzing noises. Yes they get hot and sweaty but the benefits outweigh the downside, at least for me.

If you work any remote areas like I do from time to time, it is worthwhile investing in a spare "Nenad lead". If for some reason it fails the pathetic squwaking of the standard SDC speaker will drive you nuts and you will wish you had a spare.

As I said earlier, when the 2300 is out of warranty I will be fitting a standard headphone socket purely for the functionality it will provide. No extra cables to brace, no extra junctions to get dust in and most importantly it is "standard".

A homemade foot at the rear of the machine allowing it to stand up straight, some padded wrap around the handle, a normal minelab armcuff adapted to the flimsy plastic foldup thing, decent audio and you have a fanatastic tool.

Enjoy

Nenad.

Your leads should of come standard in the box of the 2300 you think even the shops would buy ashit load of them off you and they add them to the pack because the audio is so low on the unit ,

Have you thought of making smaller and longer leads ?

Cheers
David

Hi all thanks follow all the advice. I'd love to try the Sunday pro golds but I don't have the coin at the moment. A family member had these spare and has let me borrow them. I took the out for a 4 hour session today and they did an amazing job, way better than the originals. :D I'll post some results soon.
1448783497_image.jpg

Chuky boy said:
Hi all thanks follow all the advice. I'd love to try the Sunday pro golds but I don't have the coin at the moment. A family member had these spare and has let me borrow them. I took the out for a 4 hour session today and they did an amazing job, way better than the originals. :D I'll post some results soon.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5620/1448783497_image.jpg
Happy to meet up one day and you can try my sunray pros mate. I can run my standard headphones no problems.

Back to the original question about boosters, the Minelab dealer in Karratha was selling an aluminium bracket that screws up to the handle area. You pluck the original screws and using the supplied longer ones screw on the plate. Then you clip your speaker to it and now the sound is coming straight back at you, which is where it should be. Lots of different boosters available so again it is your choice of what to spend your hard earned on.

Latest posts