minelab pinpointer interfering with metal detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys mike here .so I took my new pinpointer out for some treasure hunting and I noticed something .everytime I turn the propointer on my metal detector makes a funny noise .then when I go back to my metal detector it seems locked onto the number -8 or 12 and I have to press pinpoint twice to reset it to where it gets the 2 - - bars .so I was wondering have I set something up wrong or is this normal .

I also noticed I pressed the pinpoint button once to pinpoint a target with my metal detector and it got locked on like it was still screaming after I found the target and lifted the detector up of the ground .once I turned pin point off the problem resolved but not sure what these 2 things mean .maybe I didn't set the detector up properly or ? .just not sure .

I gotta say tho after getting the pinpointer I have fell in love with metal detecting even more no more sifting through the dirt to figure out where these little bugger targets are :).

Ive read on other forums people having trouble with the minelab pinpointer, try turning down the sensitivity a little seems to solve most problems. I have both the Minelab and Garrett pinpointers but have yet to use them.

ok well I got my answer .rang minelab up and apparently when the 705 is engaged in pinpoint mode the detector can become unstable so I need to disengage it before I place the detector down .but you guys probably already knew this lol :).

My Minelab Pro-find interfered with the GPX 5000. I use a speaker on the harness. So I soldered a small toggle switch into the speaker.

Flick the switch, no output, no interference heard. Then I turn the Profind off and the spkr back on.

Saves pulling the headphone jack every time I pinpoint.

Another tip. When you turn on your pinpointer hold it at arms length away from your 705 or other metal objects.

Some times the pinpointer gets unstable. Turn it off for at least 5 secs and repeat as above.

Hope this helps.

thx guys .yeh minelab told me that I was leaving my detector in pinpoint mode and that it can become unstable if left in that mode for to long and also detect the pinpointer .but anyway im still stoked I got one cause it saves so much time .went out today and didn't find anything accept beer cans but enjoying it anyway :).

mike90199 said:
thx guys .yeh minelab told me that I was leaving my detector in pinpoint mode and that it can become unstable if left in that mode for to long and also detect the pinpointer .but anyway im still stoked I got one cause it saves so much time .went out today and didn't find anything accept beer cans but enjoying it anyway :).

The best beer cans to find are the full ones.

Just before you empty them.

I have the Xterra 705 and Pro pointer 25 and yep always put the detector back to detection mode before pin pointing.

Pin pointers save you heaps of time. great aren't they.

Cliff

The Pro-find and Ace 250 don't get along together, makes it chatter like hell, I use the Nokta pinpointer with that. It doesn't affect the Infinium, GMT nor Explorer in normal search modes.

Latest posts