Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here in Sydney the EMI is so bad I can only use a DD in cancel mode on the 5000 sometimes, it gets rid of any interference, works great.

DD are said to be more stable in severely mineralised soils and you can use the iron reject setting. Searching for gold probably best using the mono unless there is too much EMI or ground balancing is really hard.

DD will not search as deep as mono either but I'm sure you would still get small nuggets with it in fine/gold. I've only used the mono a few times, at Sunny Corner and Ophir, noticed a big depth improvement over the DD.

Need to get out soon and test my 8x6 mono NF coil.

Hi Goldquest, How did the machine perform after you got it back from Minelab? Cheers, Mark

Hi. We have recently purchased our 5000 and as we live near the coast we thought we would head off for a detect on one of our local beaches. We experienced heaps of noise and are now wondering about changing settings and/or coils for detecting the beaches......any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

Hi there, which coil and settings were you using?

I mainly use the 11" DD on the beach. With search
mode: Deep or General and timings: Coin/Relic or
normal. Coil set to DD mode. Cancel if EMI is
severe.

Were you able to ground balance it? Sometimes
Deep and Coin/relic can be too sensitive to EMI,
in that case I usually go to General and Normal.

What was the noise like? A constant dragging
type of sound or beeps and pinging types of
sounds.

A constant dragging could be black sand or saturated
sand. Non-repeatable beeps and pings (false signals)
could be RF or EMI.

Always do an auto scan first and then a proper ground
balance after selecting settings. General and Normal are
a good place to start though.

Hello Heatho.....thanks for the reply. We had not changed any settings or coil from when we were detecting in the whipstick.....we were using a 12" nugget finder coil, although we did actually wonder about fitting the DD. we did the auto tune, and managed to find a quiet spot every now and then to ground balance.
There was a lot of black sand, so I'm guessing that was an issue. Thanks for the advice.....will give it another go with the DD and the other settings in place! Will let you know how we go. :)

Like Ballsup, I'm interested to know the latest with your 5000, goldquest? Are you getting more depth now?

Gday just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with their mains charger for GPX 5000, ours has played up almost since we got it it seems that where the 3 pin plug slides into the black box bit isn't connecting properly we used to just jiggle it or push it harder together and it would start charging now can't get it to work at all. Think maybe send it back to minelab? :(

Only a few days till i buy the GPX 5000, im getting the nervous feeling and a little scared because i dont want to buy it then regret it. Anyone that owns one felt the same? Should i hire it first and see how i go with the knowledge and research of the Golden Triangle or just skip the hiring and buy it off the bat. Could i get some advice of some people that owns a GPX 5000 please. Perhaps some successful stories. Dont need to know where the gold was found just that gold has been found using the 5000, and maybe some time frame. Hope to hear some advice. I need it.

Thanks.

Andre.

Mate if you can afford it and want, get it, you'll love it, hope you are buying it from a reputable dealer who has genuine stock and not off ebay or the like.

I bought mine not long before Winter and have only done a few trips, no gold yet but I have found plenty of coins and other stuff, these are great detectors and do what they say. Read the instructions now and keep reading them, if you get stuck there are plenty of other owners here who will help, including myself.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks heaps Heath. Will be bought from Minersden in Bendigo. Did you do the gold hunting in Sydney or the golden triangle in VIC?

Have only tried around the Bathurst and Orange region so far, will be heading out a lot very soon. Extremely keen to try the Golden Triangle, will hopefully come down in a couple of months time for a week.

Love the look of the gold you guys get down there.

Andre,
If you're unsure just go onto youtube and have a look. There are hundreds of clips with people using 5000s and finding some good gold.

Cheers
Mick

Hi everyone, I was in the backyard today testing out the gpx5000 settings with a NF 12" round and was trying to make sense of it all but I couldn't get past the unstability all I could get was a constant wobble sound. I auto tuned, then manual tuned, I tried all the standard timings then ground balancing after each attempt. I tried JP's Gpx detector settings incl. fine gold, sens smooth, sens extra, backing way off on RX and stability, even with both set to 1, slow motion & V. slow and combinations of them all but still no joy?, I couldn't get the bugger to settle down? I'd really love some settings advice if possible please!

some background notes: I would classify the ground at home as soil/clay sediments where the first 400mm-600mm is soil and then turns to clay. The area is pretty open and I didn't think EMI would be to much of a dramma if thats what it is? My other thought is my proximity to the bay, I would be roughly 1km as a crow flies from the bay but I don't think Salt conduction would be an issue this far away. I guess I may have to give salt/gold timmings a try?

I've never owned a GPX 5000 but my initial thought after reading your post was EMI. I've heard the GPX's are very susceptible to it due to their high level of sensitivity.

No worries mate, most GPX users will tell you not to bother firing it up in the backyard because of EMI and other suburban elements, so there's a good chance that's the problem.

Hello
It could be a telephone cable under the ground or electricity from your house.
the gpx 5000 will pick them up from a fair distance.
regards trashmagnet

Thanks Trashmagnet, I might go and spend a day in the gold fields just testing, learning and finetuning. I reckon that will sort me out!

Latest posts