Minelab 15x12 mono commander coil information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I got the pro pack with my GPX5000 which has the 15" * 12" Commander monoloop included, and was wondering what others thought about this coil?
A forum search didn't reveal much information on it.

Cheers

Haven't found much info on the 15" but what I was able to find was that its supposed to still be sensitive to small gold, almost as sensitive as the 11" mono, and it also has a slight depth advantage to the 11" which makes sense due to the larger size.

I still need to do my own in-field testing/comparisons between the two, which I hope to do in about 2 weeks time. I will post the results just in case any one else was curious about the 15" Elliptical Mono

Cheers

G'day oldfella, below is a piece found with the 15" Commander by Mrs Redfin.
From memory it came in at .16 at about 2 or 3 inches.
But she does have very good ears hearing.

1409225846_f01.jpg

Hi Redfin
Thanks for the reply, wow, I didn't think that the 15" could pick up such a small nugget. Congratulations to Mrs Redfin :)

As I said I would, here are my findings with the 15" * 12" Mono.

Test environment :- Medium mineralised soil, Power lines 200m away with underground telephone lines simular distance.

I compared it against the 11" Commander Mono on like targets as most 5000 users are familiar with the performance of the 11". I was using Fine gold settings, and as expected, the larger the coil, the less gain I was able to use whilst maintaining a smooth threshold.

Other than being a little heavier and not handling EMF quite as good as the 11", it could find nuggets almost as small though the targets were softer in tone. And there appears to be a small depth advantage on larger Gram+ nuggets. I currently use it for deeper ground after I have cleaned up with the 11".

The new Sadie is mainly used on heaps and tight spots, it too is a surprisingly versatile coil :)

Cheers

On the 2 gram plus bits, use Enhance - it will have a slightly smoother threshold as well ;)

Both 15inch coils are great with a 3500 and a 15 dd we found 29 gram in a week at Bendigo when the coils first came out. They are very stable coils the only draw back with them is the weight but they are good regards john :)

Anyone put one of these on and played in deeper ground? Had one on for half a day and pulled some deep targets out using the 3000 on ground I'd worked over including a deep faint hit on a 303 slug (?) that sweetened up nicely (don't tell the blokes with a 5K they missed it ;) ) great little test run if not a bit heavy, running in deep, mono, switched over to DD sharpened it up with about 4 inches off the top. Couple of deep 22 and a nail way down in the pipe clay on a well hit gully. Any good comparisons or success stories? Certainly chirped the old girl up if not a little noisy on the ironstone and deep (not amazing deep but enough to get me sweating in the cold). Looking for feedback before committing. Cheers.

1433830586_img_20150609_161439.jpg
1433830602_img_20150609_161500.jpg

On closer inspection probably a bigger caliber slug, second pick shows roughly how it was jammed in slightly to one side though. Picked up a musket not long after remembered as I was going through the trash collection to take a pick of this one.

Necromancy thread revival, I found a little piece (half a gram) last week, and could see no evidence of other detector holes in the area. Its pretty clear, and am thinking of going over it more carefully on tuesday.
Iam thinking of whacking on the 15 x 12 1st, then go back over with the nf 14 x 9 evo.
Am I thinking correctly, or should I just keep working the 14 x 9 and learn that coil better 1st.
Was thinking I might get better depth, and find some bigger pieces. The area is pretty tame, a nice laterite outcrop on high ground, that tapers down to a small creek behind it. Was going to "mow the lawn" from out side in, with the 15 x 12 then change to the 14 x 9 and repeat the process, should be an all day job.
If im on the right track , I would appreciate any setting advice for my 4500.

thanks, dave.

Not sure if it was emi, or ground noise, but could not get it to run stable, dumbed it down so much, I just took it off. Will try again when the dry season kicks in properly, in a clearer area.

Latest posts