Mild Ground Around Vic. Suggestions Please?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, was wanting some advice please on where to detect in Vic on mild ground (not hot / heavily mineralised ground). I have a couple of nice mono coils I want to really give a good crack at (without doing my head in on the hot ground when I use them). Any specific areas would be greatly appreciated :Y:

Nuggy fever said:
..just thought to ask - Vic is a big place, surely there is somewhere :perfect:

Once upon a time there were, but mild ground is the easiest to detect - even with yesterday's detectors - so I think you'll find such places got pretty much done to death long ago.

grubstake said:
Nuggy fever said:
..just thought to ask - Vic is a big place, surely there is somewhere :perfect:

Once upon a time there were, but mild ground is the easiest to detect - even with yesterday's detectors - so I think you'll find such places got pretty much done to death long ago.

...I am curious where would these places be? (even though they have been done over as you mentioned)

Theres lots of mild ground in Victoria, but its not gold bearing.
When the SD 2000 came out minicab said PI detectors detected deeper targets in mineralised ground, rather than mild ground.

Geovic is your friend Nuggy Fever https://gsv.vic.gov.au

Learn how to use it and it soon becomes apparent why gold occurs in certain areas. Check the various Radiometric surveys and it starts to become obvious what occurs where and why. Potassium indicates past Hydrothermal activity, Thorium is often a good indicator of Ironstone occurrence, Magnetic surveys also indicate mineralisation. It's worth bearing in mind though, if you choose to avoid mineralisation altogether, you may also be choosing to avoid finding gold :) Many of the minerals that cause havoc with a metal detector, were either deposited where they are by the very same processes that put the gold there in the first place, or are the reason the gold precipitated out of solution and is where it is.

Personally, I think the take home message is to learn to live with the mineralisation by either adjusting your settings for it, putting on a DD coil, or buying a Z or similar that laughs at it at the push of a button.

Just my rusty bottle caps worth :D

Deepseeker said:
Learn how to use it and it soon becomes apparent why gold occurs in certain areas. Check the various Radiometric surveys and it starts to become obvious what occurs where and why. Potassium indicates past Hydrothermal activity, Thorium is often a good indicator of Ironstone occurrence, Magnetic surveys also indicate mineralisation. It's worth bearing in mind though, if you choose to avoid mineralisation altogether, you may also be choosing to avoid finding gold :) Many of the minerals that cause havoc with a metal detector, were either deposited where they are by the very same processes that put the gold there in the first place, or are the reason the gold precipitated out of solution and is where it is.

Personally, I think the take home message is to learn to live with the mineralisation by either adjusting your settings for it, putting on a DD coil, or buying a Z or similar that laughs at it at the push of a button.

Just my rusty bottle caps worth :D

Thanks, appreciate the detailed info - sounds like I need to get these settings sorted.. :Y:

Swinging & digging said:
Theres lots of mild ground in Victoria, but its not gold bearing.
When the SD 2000 came out minicab said PI detectors detected deeper targets in mineralised ground, rather than mild ground.

...was worth a try to just find out the areas, doesn't matter it may have been cleaned out but the SDs was just trying to see what personal experiences there were :Y:

Hey mate, you never stated the type of machine, might help with some responses in your thread.

There is still quieter ground out there that hasnt been worked (or at least overworked), but the days are numbered and localised knowledge is going to be a big help.

As things dry out the monos will settle a little if that helps.

Try picking an area then get into trove and use pipeclay and gold in your search. This might help narrow down a list of diggings you can reach and put boots on the ground.

Ive found gold with sdc, GM and Nox 800 working mullocks and surrounding areas where the gold was recovered in the pipclay. The bigger frustration is then the junk and lead. And dealing with the snakes and flies, the mud tree branches and maps.

I like to split my time from the huge mining mullocks which noone used to crawl all over to the diggers holes where the pay layer starts only a couple inches down and drops away.

White Hills was called that for that reason for example. And out in places say like Redcastle and Bailleston theres mullocks mined from god knows how many feet (maybe hundreds) piled 40 odd foot high and 30 feet round.

But off the top of my head, Bendigo, Rushworth, Reef Hills, Buckland, Tarnagulla, Heathcote all have spots where the biggest distraction will be EMI not ground noise, but equally have hot areas.

Youll just need to zero in a bit, and maybe pick up some tips if need be. Id take hot ground and a bit of frustration but thats jmo.

OldGT said:
Hey mate, you never stated the type of machine, might help with some responses in your thread.

There is still quieter ground out there that hasnt been worked (or at least overworked), but the days are numbered and localised knowledge is going to be a big help.

As things dry out the monos will settle a little if that helps.

Try picking an area then get into trove and use pipeclay and gold in your search. This might help narrow down a list of diggings you can reach and put boots on the ground.

Ive found gold with sdc, GM and Nox 800 working mullocks and surrounding areas where the gold was recovered in the pipclay. The bigger frustration is then the junk and lead. And dealing with the snakes and flies, the mud tree branches and maps.

I like to split my time from the huge mining mullocks which noone used to crawl all over to the diggers holes where the pay layer starts only a couple inches down and drops away.

White Hills was called that for that reason for example. And out in places say like Redcastle and Bailleston theres mullocks mined from god knows how many feet (maybe hundreds) piled 40 odd foot high and 30 feet round.

But off the top of my head, Bendigo, Rushworth, Reef Hills, Buckland, Tarnagulla, Heathcote all have spots where the biggest distraction will be EMI not ground noise, but equally have hot areas.

Youll just need to zero in a bit, and maybe pick up some tips if need be. Id take hot ground and a bit of frustration but thats jmo.

Thank you, great info - in terms of the detector it is the 4500 and also occasionally a TDI pro when my mate is tagging along - maybe the settings, but just can't seem to get them spot on if you know what I mean... :Y:

What coil do you use, and with what settings? The 4500 is a very good machine that can handle mineralised ground, with the right settings. Let us know and we can help.

Just remember Nuggy,

"Gold rides to town on a Iron horse"

Plenty of people using mono coils here in WA and "mild ground" is not an option over here!! :fire: :fire: :goldnugget:

Nuggy fever said:
Hi everyone, was wanting some advice please on where to detect in Vic on mild ground (not hot / heavily mineralised ground). I have a couple of nice mono coils I want to really give a good crack at (without doing my head in on the hot ground when I use them). Any specific areas would be greatly appreciated :Y:

Hi Nuggy, don't be worried by hot ground, we all have to learn to deal with it as its just part of the learning process.

I have a 5000 but have used a 4500 too.

With a 4500 the factory pre-sets find gold, even in hot ground. Use baby steps with setting changes until you start to understand what the changes do.

Probably the most important things to get sorted at the start is getting a good EMI manual/auto tune and a good ground balance. Re-balance every step if need be.

Anyway, good luck, I hope you find gold.

Latest posts