Some general advise for WA Laverton area please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am in Laverton now. I arrived a couple of days ago and already found my first piece very close to town. I am as happy as Larry. However, there is way too much rubbish on the ground here for me to keep my sanity. My plan is to head either east (White Cliffs rd) or North East along the Great Central rd. Have any of you more experienced people have advice of which would be a better direction? From the gold I have found and what I have read online, I have a bias towards ground that has visible black stones and dark coloured quartz. Am I on the right track with this thought process?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• gold.jpeg
    gold.jpeg
    581.4 KB · Views: 1
I'm about 60k out of Laverton north on the Bandya Rd, on a large pending area. Much of what I'm finding here (not that it's a lot!) is in ironstone with little or no quartz. I'm afraid I haven't looked at the two areas you have mentioned. When you do decide, please let the pastoralist know you are on their land, there seems to be a lack of that courtesy here at the moment!

Hello everyone,

I am in Laverton now. I arrived a couple of days ago and already found my first piece very close to town. I am as happy as Larry. However, there is way too much rubbish on the ground here for me to keep my sanity. My plan is to head either east (White Cliffs rd) or North East along the Great Central rd. Have any of you more experienced people have advice of which would be a better direction? From the gold I have found and what I have read online, I have a bias towards ground that has visible black stones and dark coloured quartz. Am I on the right track with this thought process?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Be sure to contact Steve - Erlistoun Station - Laverton, Western Australia.
You follow the correct procedure and you will be received accordingly.

I met a young couple out from White Cliffs area when farther north at Cox's find, Banya.
The Lass had 12 grams of tiny, tiny dead flat smooth clean gold.
10 days with SDC2300 she said.
The gold in hand you have shown looks like it is likely from ground denoted as geologic Czl area on your maps.
If you can find pending ground in the area where you plan to go, where marked in part as Czl, you might try there.....
Cheers Wilko.

Hello Steve. I'm unfamiliar with this. When you say marked in part as CZL, are you talking about Tengraph when I right click on 'Find data on the map' when choosing a tenement?

I'm about 60k out of Laverton north on the Bandya Rd, on a large pending area. Much of what I'm finding here (not that it's a lot!) is in ironstone with little or no quartz. I'm afraid I haven't looked at the two areas you have mentioned. When you do decide, please let the pastoralist know you are on their land, there seems to be a lack of that courtesy here at the moment!
Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Hello Steve. I'm unfamiliar with this. When you say marked in part as CZL, are you talking about Tengraph when I right click on 'Find data on the map' when choosing a tenement?
Do you have the Trilobite app? Very useful, gives you topo maps, geo maps and can track you in realtime without phone reception. This is what Steve is referring to.

Slow! Definitely a learning curve! I seem to have the ability to find a square kilometre with only one peice of gold in it! At least things have stopped breaking (touch wood!) ..... except tyres! they seem to 'break' quite often! Guess I've got about 20g or so, but I've definitely lost weight 😁

Just a shout out - if you haven't seen a weather chart - you're about to get wet.

Complex lows developing offshore and about to cross the coast.....

Morning!

Geology, shown on geologic maps, referenced as to the type of ground, Czl Czf Czc, etc.

You will have access to 1:100k & 1:250k geology maps via Trilobite phone app mapping subscription, or WA Dept of Mines Offices - (Leonora the nearest to Laverton) - for regional paper format map sets..

Seen here with a tutorial....of sorts...

https://museum.wa.gov.au/museums/kalgoorlie-boulder/clz-not-all-laterites-are-created-equal
Wilko
Thank you. Very helpful!

Latest posts