Metal detector hard cases

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalnLiz

Wal nLiz
Reaction score
Just wondering Guys....has anybody out there come across any hard cases...Alum. / Plastic / Fibr.glass...that would be compact enough to hold minelab or whites detectors...can't seem to find much out there in the market place....Cheers Wal. :|

Thanks Gold miner ...will check that out....been using soft cases for years and already squashed 2 sets of head phones....Not the best for long trips to WA with the kitchen sink packed into the back of the troopie...The only ones I've seen hold the detector and only 2 x 11" coils....trying to get something deep enough to hold at least 5 coils....might have to be a special build..Cheers Wal.

I have got one of the aluminium cases , they are very sturdy. only prob with them is that the coil area doesn't take 17'' coils.but are excellent to protect your detector etc.We travel over some very rough ground and i was worried about all the knocking about my detector was getting, so me n Dale persuaded the wives to buy us 1 each for xmas ;) Swan hill detectors make em $280 :cool:

Thanks for that Bill,..may have to go down that option yet....Looking at all the possibilities...saw a guy up in the Crooked River gold field a few years ago ,and he had what looked like a "Banjo" case which fitted the detector and 4 coils including an 18" minelab.....I didn't pay much attention at the time but it was certainly a compact unit....need to do something before the next trip over West....Cheers Wal. :)

Hi Mystyk59 and WalnLiz i have the mark2 hard case from Swanhill detectors i put my 17x12 nf in it but have to take it of the shaft to fit it in but i am happy how it looks after my detector although it is big cheers Terry

Thanks for that Terry...It's looking like that might be the way to go...I use the nf 17x12 as my main coil as well so am happy if that fits in the hard box. Might have to make up a soft case for the rest of the coils...cheers Wal. :)

Wal,

have you checked out the gun type cases as they come in all sorts of sizes and types. But they could be expensive to cash in on the gun market with ally types around $200-$300 -- i do recall seeing a plastic type one at Fyshwick for aout $70. with a few mods to the foam it may work,

Harry

I have the mk3 one terry and it doesnt take more than a 14' coil, it is long as well i got it as i thought it would be handier to leave my detector fully set up to go . The mk 2 is a better option in retrospect

Hi wal eBay item number 270982399568
Hard case for guitar $64
Free postage they have two different sizes
Less than a quarter the price if the detector cases
Bout the same size also
:)
Hope this saves you a buck mate :)

I am also having the same problem of finding a "good value" case. I know I could go and buy the one for $275 plus delivery off eBay, trouble is I have a pregnant Mrs that scornes at every purchase I make lately like I'm taking food for the babies mouth :p

There is a aluminum framed double gun case for $82.90 on eBay, item number 390563702656. My thought here is that I should be able to cut out the divider to make it much deeper. Trouble is here that the internal is 29cm wide and the gpx4000 needs 30 something to fit fully assembled, minus coil of-course. My thought here again is maybe it would fit on an angle using a combination of depth and height?

I was interested in some of the plastic/polymer gun cases as you can get nice ones that are also waterproof. I did find one that looks wicked and is also light to carry Vs the 9kg one mentioned above, trouble is the price is $200 and the detector would need to be disassembled and the coils carried separately.

Is it really such a hassle to assemble the detector in the field? It seems much easier to have a case that we can whip it out from in anger like it was a Thompson from a violin case and get to work straight away, is it really a necessity though? That's the question that has been spinning my head for 2 weeks now! If I find a working solution that is neat, light, strong and ideally dust and water resistant/proof then I will back posting here all the info and pictures.

Time for me to try and slip another $50 note out of my wallet from under the Mrs pillow, shhh don't make a sound.....she might wake :mad:

I made 2 out of electric guitar cases for my infinium and my gti 1500. Turned out a bit on the heavy side but good for road trips. You can stack stuff on top of them and not worry about finding bits of beepers every where when you pull up.

For the last month I have been using the Minelab cloth bag to house my detector and after some stuffing around I finally get a case to suit the GPX4000. The need was simple, a lockable hard durable case that is going to offer reasonable protection from prying little fingers, impact and the elements. The company markets this case as waterproof and dust-proof. The first case that arrived was bowed at the ends and in no way was it waterproof or even dust-proof and after contacting the company they replaced it with what they inspected to be perfect..... well the second case arrived marginally better but still not sealing 100% Sure I won't be using it as a surfboard but still I would like the product to perform as advertised.

All in all I am happy with the case, though it is heavy at 12kg empty, lucky it has wheels.
1368946742_1.jpg
1368946793_2.jpg
1368946847_3.jpg

So Adam, where did you get it and how much was it, and would you recommend them?

It sounded better in my head then the dirt sharks anyway ;) and I feel like a badass spy when I crack it open.

I didn't have any free safe space to chuck the detector in my work truck so I picked up this el cheapo hard rifle case that fits the new 705 perfectly. A few clicks and a twist then I'm off beeping in no time.
Now I don't have to worry about it getting damaged and everything can fit in there except for the big digging stick.

Anyone else got a hard case setup for transport?

jEqmAhE.jpg

Latest posts