Marysville, Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Heading to Marysville in the next few weeks for a few nights with my better half.
Wondering if it's worth taking detector/sluice/pans to have a scratch around.
Rarely get to anywhere east of Melbourne and just wondering what's around that area.
PM or post any info/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Cheers Tom

Marysville is not a great place for gold - a tiny bit of alluvial on Tin Creek west of Buxton (more farther west but not great), a tiny trace near Buxton , and some east from Cambarville. There is good reason for this, as the area is largely granite (and granite has very little gold in most of Victoria). Mineralogically there is a little more - wolframite at Wilks Creek and gems such as topaz in various places, lots of common tourmaline (in my youth I got a solid crytal cluster the size of a football near Tin Creek, pure tourmaline and nothing else, individual crystals to many centimetres - some 2 cm in diameter - and perfectly terminated). However much of the region is National Park and restricted streams. You might be better looking at the waterfalls and walking in the forests, such as the trails along the old timber tramways (a beautiful area, now recovering from the 2009 fires). Build up brownie points for a later trip to an a different area with more gold potential.

Tks Goldie,
Most probably just settle back and enjoy the scenery, think I have a lot of old Stereoviews of some of the old wooden tram tracks and waterfalls from around that area, may just try to visit some of those spots.
Tks for the feedback ..... Marysville scenery YES, gold NO.
Cheers T.

Yeah, you won't be disappointed. If you are feeling fit climb the Sugarloaf in the Cathedral Range as well - spectacular views because lots of open rock faces without trees in the ways (a bit like the Grampians). I used to walk the timber tramways in the 1960s and some are now great walking trails - and have a look at the falls in town at night (flood-lit). They can do with some visitors as it has been a hard road back from the fires.

Latest posts