Looking for gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Guys after 9years of metal detecting I think it's time for a change,I've been very successful in beach, parks,underwater,detecting many thousands of $$$$.Ive always had a thought of gold detecting one day and it's time to follow through on that.I will be looking for gold at Warwick I know there is a huge learning time to be successful but I do have a start after 9years detecting.I have a new detector coming soon have the pick,gps,and the determination,on saying that I will have some questions to ask any help would bo greatly appreciated.My research says go where gold has been found I agree.My first question is if there is gold shafts on an area they might be very deep down would there be gold on the surface.Thanks

for sure there can be detectable gold in areas with deep shafts. my limited experience in these areas has proved the old rules still apply....read the terrain and look to where the gold may have travelled esp nearby creeks etc. It can be less obvious where to start but i've had a little sucess in just this type of area...good luck:)

Whatever came out the bottom of the shafts ended up above ground :) stay as clear as you possibly can from them though, especially the ones with cracked ground around them. Welcome mate. Can you share photos of your other finds from detecting?

Welcome mate. Always worth a swing around most diggings. Research all areas you intend to detect and see if the ground was known for nuggets or fine gold. Sometimes deep shafts are the most obvious signs of workings. Surfaced ground regrows over the years and shallow workings are not always the pronounced mullock heaps we're used to. It's possible the easy gold may have been worked out of the shallow ground first and the deep gold mining began later. The old timers didn't just dig 20ft+ shafts if they didn't first find some good indicators near surface first. Look forward to seeing your first finds mate. It's a real thrill no matter the size of the gold.

small coil cranked right up you can usually ping a bit or two around the rim of shafts. when they were getting into the mud often they would build a lip around the edge of the shaft so water did not collect inside and this mud would end up with dirt from buckets coming out. its usually just thr top two inches all over that has gold, the drywasher always find a bit :)_

Latest posts