Levels of the rivers over the long weekend

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing some panning and detecting over the long weekend, but with all the rain out west, i'm not sure of the current height of the rivers. I'd hate to make the trip only for the waters to be too high.

Can any locals in the Mudgee, Windeyer, Sofala / Turon River areas comment?

See Bom for river heights,
Looking like wet n wild for central tablelands from today through to late fri with snow forecast down to 1200m
Most rivers, streams would have plenty of flow come this saturday.
Take care, don't cross flood water- unless you own a patrol :p

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDN60146.html

Most local rivers are running well/swollen. Raining again today at Mudgee :rolleyes: I'm bloody over it!
There have been a few road closures over the wet period too but mostly only lasting 24-48hrs. There is a lot of surface water, full dams around so run off over roads or filling waterways over crossings etc. doesn't take much at the moment. Thankfully it has been running off reasonably quickly again here though.
Your biggest hurdle will be the surface water restricting access in some places, bog holes/boggy tracks, washed out gully crossings etc. There'll still be accessible areas around but others will be tricky or not worth the trouble.
The people/trusts that manage a lot of these accessible areas aren't impressed by people getting bogged or tearing up tracks that are boggy so if it looks too boggy give it a miss. The 4wd hoons think it's great fun but these tracks are largely unmaintained & don't get funding to repair them after these weather events.
I'd still make the trip but just plan it according to the weather. As Reeks said if a crossing etc. looks dodgy or your unsure of it then give it a miss. Not worth ruining your weekend.
Might be a good time to check out some of the history etc. around Hill End etc.?

The Turon was too high to cross at Strops Crossing last Sunday, we came in via Paling yards and turned around and went to Sofala via Wattle Flat. I wouldn't have been brave enough to try the upstream crossing either.
1475152295_imgp4143.1.jpg

Regards,
Tote

The Dept of primary Industries- Office of Water website is a good resource for checking current and historical water levels: Hit the "Rivers and Streams" real time data. For the Turon, open the "421- Macquarie River Basin" and the Turon @ sofala..
realtimedata.water.nsw.gov.au

I think this long weekend will be a good one to stay clear of any of the Southern and Central tablelands and Plains Gold Fields.

The locals and emergency services will have enough to do without worrying about weekend warriors getting in the way.

Just sayin :|

Cheers Creekbed

Latest posts