Leech bites and allergic reactions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm from Taree in NSW and I've visited a few places around the hood, such as Ellenborough Falls and Barrington Tops. On a couple of occasions I went bushwalking and was attacked by leeches. They were everywhere... in the streams, on the walking tracks, hiding under leaves and rocks, waiting to pounce. One time I got home and found one on my back under my shirt, and another in my shoe. Eeeek! So I'm wondering if leech attacks are par for the course while panning creeks and other wet areas. I can't stand the buggers.

Was up on Brown Mountain Trout fishing once.
Wondered where the quite rustling on the ground was comeing from.
A stampede of black leeches fair plowing through the scrub to get to me. 8)
The Leeches won. :eek:
I took off.

spray your arms and legs with rid or aeroguard, they stay away

Yeah they are pretty thick and gross in places in around streams and wet leafy rain forests. I had over 100+ leaches drop in my shoes one hike not to mention plenty more on my neck and legs. Got some carnage pics of my feet in a pool of blood. yuck! I now wear tall gum boots in leach infested areas and spray them down good with bushman repellant. Works a treat but sometimes the suckers will still get a hold of you when brushing against branches etc..

Part and parcel, just think of them as slimy mozzies that itch for 10 times longer. hahaha

its all about perspective i suppose

rather 100 leeches in my boots than one brown snake nibbling my toe

1412767092_leech.jpg

BUGGA paying to get sucked dry by the slimy little critters. that is the ''ladder '' of sucksess. :lol:

Nothing like a good old blood letting. If Bushmans is unavailable to the urban prospector I've heard a small teaspoon of concrete in chi latte at the fav local caf before leaving the comforts of the 60km zone also works wonders. :D

Thought I'd just add to the convo, I come across soo many leeches that I had to look up leech removal on google. I dont know how many of you know this, but most the old techniques on leech removal dont work. Putting salt on them, pulling them or burning them with fire will always end up with the leech vomiting its infectious goo into your skin. I read ( and I use this technique ) that the best way to remove them is in one swift movement, getting a fingernail under their mouth and scraping them off. You have to do it quick so it doesnt have the time to grab onto you again.

Life savers wear pantihoes to stop bluebottle stings ect... I wonder if they will stop leaches in their tracks??? :)

kawman said:
Life savers wear pantihoes to stop bluebottle stings ect... I wonder if they will stop leaches in their tracks??? :)
In one word no, but you could always try them out and post some photos

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like I'll have to restrict fossicking to leechless territory or stock up on Bushmans and gum boots. I think my most satisfying experience was discovering a bloated leech on the floor of my car (near the accelerator pedal) and flicking it out the door onto a hot dirt road. Watching it writhe in the hot dust was delicious revenge.

A couple of years ago I was up the top end of Big River busting for a crap and was hanging on so long I was getting the shakes, decided I had to go now or crap me daks so ran off behind some bushes beside a small creek in the shade and just as I dropped my daks and started to squat I noticed the ground was moving, literally moving with thousands of small leeches, WTF, so the daks came back up and I ran as fast as I could and headed for a sunnier spot about 40 meters away, it was the fastest dump I'd ever taken then spent the next 20 mins at the car checking for leeches, never seen it before and hope to never see it again.
In all my years of fishing I'd never really given them much thought up until then............yuk :|

Back when I was a kid(teenager) I went to bed one night after an avo mucking around in the bush. I thought I had a big zit coming up on my forehead, so I kept squeezing it up during the night. In the morning I bolted into the bathroom to pop the now massive lump on my scone only to see an egg where my forehead used to be and a paralysis tick in the middle of it - lesson learnt.

It can be rather embarressing to do the "Tick leech" dance around but,
It is worth it especially with Ticks. :mad:

Latest posts