Leech bites and allergic reactions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
casper said:
oooh! Milan - so that's your secret, that's why your skin is so lovely oop's so fresh and manly looking .... :D

casper

Not sure what you are on about there Casper. Am I not manly enough for your liking? Hahaha

Beagleboy said:
casper said:
oooh! Milan - so that's your secret, that's why your skin is so lovely oop's so fresh and manly looking .... :D

casper

Not sure what you are on about there Casper. Am I not manly enough for your liking? Hahaha

LOL, I'm just stirring the possum cobber! looks like an alternative to the "poison" i use.

no question about your capability - you were there when I needed help - remember the rock "slide" at heart attack gully last year.

... casper

No offense taken mate. I knew you were joking. That stuff really works well for me. And it smells nice too.
And yes I remember you scarring us at the creek. Thank god we got out of there without any help and nothing happened to you. That's why you should never go to places like that on your own but with mates. :)

I know this is not leeches but may have a similar effect. I saw this on ABC's Catalyst program and was absolutely blown away by this and the effects of ticks.

This may be part of the reason as the leech may have similar characteristics and the unique enzyme/protein that causes the problem.

Here is the link and transcripts - http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4177191.htm

It also shows a new way for removal, I would suggest all of you on the East Coast read up on the removal.

Basically use a freeze spray. DO NOT SQUEEZE tweezers etc....

Best of luck, hope it helps.

Tea tree oil works a treat. You dab them and they recoil and drop off in a couple of seconds.
Leeches are an annelid worm and have no head, there is no risk in just scratching or pulling them off.

Goldtarget said:
I'll kick this off by saying I have noticed myself getting increasingly more reactive every time I get bitten to the point I really can't afford to get bitten again. I've spent alot of time in creeks and I don't ever remember as a kid having a reaction. The last 5 days I've had a pretty intense swelling and wrath of God itchiness. I finally went to the medicos and sort some info.

Turns out leeches can inject a histamine during attachment, and is likely the cause of my reaction. I still have lesser itchiness but swelling has gone. Like successive bee bites some people display a reaction. Up until this point I have found applying unmodified honey to the site has a wonderful ability to heal the site. Reading up some repellents can lessen the frequency of getting bitten and allowing them to finish feeding can reduce symptoms.

I'm sure there are others out there similarly afflicted and invite any input you guys have in combating the dreaded devils, I'm sure it will be helpful.

Mate I''ve had a rotton allergy for the whole last month, actually went to hospital today to see what they thought of my awesome rash, I've had chills and a fever a few times over the last 10 days also. Seems to be a lot of weird allergies getting around.

I got bitten by 2 ticks at Stuart Town and was starting to think I had Lyme or Scrub typhus, but the Docs say just a bad allergy. Got an appointment with a dermatologist soon...... hopefully......... I'll get it sorted............ soon. I think I've got a virus getting around too, chills, shivers, sore back and stuff and the allergy is probably separate. Driving me mad too so I feel for you mate.

Only thing that has stopped the itchies has been half a Zyrtec antihistamine every 48 hours. It's a good long lasting one but makes me a bit tired, better than itching though. It's a very benign drug in small doses and works well.

Been very lucky with the Leaches and have managed to not get bitten yet. Hope you feel better soon GT, these things can really get to you a bit when they go on for a while.

Westaus said:
I know this is not leeches but may have a similar effect. I saw this on ABC's Catalyst program and was absolutely blown away by this and the effects of ticks.

This may be part of the reason as the leech may have similar characteristics and the unique enzyme/protein that causes the problem.

Here is the link and transcripts - http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4177191.htm

It also shows a new way for removal, I would suggest all of you on the East Coast read up on the removal.

Saw that a while ago, great info. Pulling them out will release more protiens/histamines and the like from ticks or Leaches, felt my whole arm cramp when Syndyne yanked the tick in my shoulder with tweezers, lol. Was no other way out bush though, should carry some freeze spray from now on in the medical kit.

Here on Sydneys Northern Beaches is a paralysis tick hotspot, maybe the worst. I've had 2 get me before and they make you feel pretty average even after only being on you a few hours. You seriously want to make sure the head comes out completely or it will fester bad after a year or 2 as I found out. :(

mfdes said:
Tea tree oil works a treat. You dab them and they recoil and drop off in a couple of seconds.
Leeches are an annelid worm and have no head, there is no risk in just scratching or pulling them off.

One risk i can vouch for.

You will bleed like a stuck pig

Metamorphic said:
You will bleed like a stuck pig

That you will. Once I noticed I'd been bitten because my foot was squelching in the boot, and I was sure I hadn't trod on any water or mud. Turns out the blood had totally soaked my sock and started to puddle. This was in King Island. They breed them big over there.

Years ago I had an allergic reaction to a leech bite on my ankle while doing a canyon, I was fine til late that night, but then I noticed my ankle had swollen up so big I could not walk or drive, had to get a taxi to hospital. I tend to get the bastards off pretty quick and check my boots regularly nowdays.

Nothing funnier though than watching someone else do the leech dance, especially in a car LOL.

As well as your chosen repellant, I wear light nylon track suit pants, I tuck these into cotton socks and ensure my shoelaces are tight when I highbank in leech infested waters. The buggers cannot penetrate the clothing. When you walk out the water they drop off onto the grass where they dry up and die.
I hope this helps.

Should be a no brainer but carry antihistimines with you when you head out just incase you get bit. Loratadine based antihistimines don't make me drowsy. Oh and be careful about being ripped off on these products. I'd been paying $1 a pill from most supermarkets and chemists! Can be bought MUCH cheaper on ebay.

Repellant wears off fast if you're going to be in the water.
Might be time to go pantyhose shopping.

HaHaHa the lovely leeches bring back some horrible memories to say the least, I was using a 5" north of cairns and thought I'd had all my bases covered by the extra socks, clothing etc!! not to be, for those little buggers burrowed through two pairs of work socks and their body filled up with blood between the socks, wasn't pleasant to say the least.
I was pottering about again last year nth of Mareeba and come across a lady who swears by "roll on deodorant" for all bite and stings (not sure of any particular brand), especially wasp stings, this may be worth trying for you guys who are amongst the little buggers more than most, it would be worth knowing what the results would be using this remedy, even if it only stops the itching would be fantastic.
Cheers
BJ

I was out in the backyard and came into the house to have a shower and I thought I had a twig on my foot. Then I realised it was a leech!

I pulled leech off my foot with my fingers. I did not take much notice of it over following days. However since then I noticed a itching sensation moving from the bite area and difficulty breathing on occasions. I did not think much about the breathing as I am an asthmatic.

Now about two weeks later the itching has spread throughout my body, I have sever itching around my foot and swelling. After reading up on leech bites and the side effects, off to the Doctor today.

Little buggers.

Westaus said:

More on tics ................... ring barking FNQ used to have guys hospitalised with severe blood poisoning from tics. Cigarette on their ass makes them let go and if you don't smoke cover them in Vaseline ................ they can't breathe so they will let go again. Have seen guys with perforated ear drums from tics Nastie buggers

Dont know if this is the right area to ask this but....how the h$&@ do the missus and I keep the leeches from attacking us!!! A total newbie to this and was shocked and horrified at the little buggers...thought it was funny when the wife started telling me something was biting her until they started on me and we figured out what it was!! Any advice

Have been told that Bushmans repellant with DEET is good, tried it against other beasties and it worked, but seemed to have a bit of effect on my skin, not bad, just felt a bit warm, wife indicated that I looked a bit more reddish on the areas I used it. The DEET seems to be the thing that works, can be obtained in varying strengths, mine was 40% classed as heavy duty, do not like leeches at all.

Graham

Latest posts