Leech bites and allergic reactions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soap.

Moisten a bar of soap and lather your feet and legs really well, then let it dry, cover with socks and boots. You can also soak your socks in a very soapy solution and let them dry without rinsing. Leeches won't come near you until is washes off.

As a backup tape the bottom of your trousers to the top of your boots.

We find this is close to 100% prevention in wet undergrowth, creeks are always a challenge, just have to re-do on a regular basis.

Also keep salt handy and if you get a leech, pour salt over the bugger and they'll drop off real fast, but very few ways to stop the bleeding due to the anti-coagulant they excrete when biting. :(

Salt works to get them to let go. Sprinkle abit on them, they'll soon let go!
Also the person at the back of the trail gets more than the person at the front. The heat from the first guy attracts them. I seen them drop from.trees, live on the bottom of rivers, live under ground, even up on mountain tops.

Leeches can be fatal. I know I bloke who lost his leg from a leech bite. Bit him on the inside of his boot, he didn't think much of it, jumped on the tractor and slashed the paddock. The bite got infected a few daya later from the boot rubbing, red poison travelled up his leg, went to hospital and they gave him some bad news.

I hate leeches

Thankfully they stayed away today but now Ive read all your helpful suggestions I am now crapping myself thinking they could be in the trees....Im hoping you were joking Skip

Unfortunately mate no. Spend enough time in the bush up back creeks bass fishing hunting ect and you'll know what I'm talking about. Blood thirsty criders, guess they have a purpose just I can't think of one. Die ,, pass the salt lol

They will get in anywhere they can...

Be checking your ....will leave it there :lol: :lol: :lol:

All so tick's like it there as well :lol:

Goody :)

Many moons ago when I was young, I was up an old shakey timber ladder changing a lightbulb when the timber treads gave way and I fell through 3 rungs. Just as well I was so fit and young.
So I had heard about the miracle healing power of leeches and went down to the bush and found a couple. The area under the back of my thigh was black, blue and yellow.
So I put the 2 leeches on the bruised area and holy moly in 2 days that flaming huge bruise was GONE! I could not believe it but it was true and did happen.
Fast forward to today when I am nursing a huge bruise on my thigh from a fall on the weekend. But with this drought there are no leeches about.

Shitsandgiggles said:
Thankfully they stayed away today but now Ive read all your helpful suggestions I am now crapping myself thinking they could be in the trees....Im hoping you were joking Skip

They do like to hang on moist bracken though.

I have heard that a lighter can be a very bad idea. The leech can regurgitate the putrified contents of its digestive glands directly into your bloodstream if you try to burn it off.

I'd rather not chance it. Scraping it off by pushing along your skin with a fingernail breaks away their grip. You also have to watch the other end as it can also attach. Onec it's off, get it right off or it will just reattach.

Bleeding looks like a lot and takes a long time to stop because of the anticoagulant in their saliva, but blood is the best paint and goes a very long way, even it i't only a few mils.

Baz.

Latest posts