Kids want to learn prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad Mike

mike rogers
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have my kids who keep asking about looking for gold and gems
I have some gold pans and stuff but we havent found anything other than pyrite
We spend hours digging and washing in these pans and the disappointed looks arent good
Hoping to try again next week on the shoalhaven or uo in copeland
Any ideas
:) mike

G'day Mike and welcome to the forum.
Whereabouts are you located? Allways nice to find somewhere a little closer to home to go for a dig.
If heading to the shoalhaven, have a look at Oallen ford. The gold is small, but plentiful and there are normally a few others having a dig that may be able to give you a few pointers.
If you see us out there say g'day.

Welcome Mike,

Unfortunately it's not uncommon to come home empty handed. As long you're having fun and enjoying time with your kids it's what really matters, of course some gold and gems would be nice too :p

If you need any advice please don't hesitate to ask

Best of luck next week and be sure to let us know how you go.

Nugget.

G'day

Much better places closer to you than Copeland. It can be hard to get a show there. It's my closest field and I rarely bother. Shivan knows what he's talking about at oallen and there's always the Ophir/Hill End/Sofala area with plenty of spots between.

Cheers

Chimpy

My father lives at copeland and has the creek run through his place
But we havent been successful there either
I will have to head to oalen ford after work

G'day

Pm me the location of his land and I will see if I can give you any pointers. A lot of the Copeland alluvial ground is very shallow and the gold is patchy, you can go all day for no colour or maybe come across a nice small patch. Very random. The original workings at Back Creek were noted for their shallowness and it didn't take that long for the old timers to pick the eyes out of it. Hope that helps

Cheers

Chimpy

Welcome to the forum Mike. I'm sure by joining this forum your luck will soon change for the better. There's a lot of information and advice within these threads which can help speed up the learning curve of the newcomers. Best of luck and look forward to seeing some colour in your pans soon.

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts