Kalgoorlie WA Western Australia information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All

Been a bit quite, mainly due to a computer deciding to chew a SSD on me. I am heading up to Kalgoorlie in a couple of weeks for a short work trip and I will have a bit of time here and there to do a bit of a swing around. I am not sure of the best areas to head given that it will be short trips. Probably have to work within a 50-100k max radius due to time and other commitments, but if anyone has some general ideas I am keen to listen.

I know no one is going to tell me their secret spot :) but if someone may have had some success say 30k's approx Nth East etc... would be helpful. I will be looking at Geo Map and tenements beforehand to try and get a few locations to look around.

Will keep you all updated and I will take some more photos and information as well for those interested. Hopefully I may be able to add to my little nugget as well.

Look forward to hearing from anyone !

Westaus

Likewise if anyone has a tenement close by that they would be happy to let me have a swing around I am more than happy to pass on all information and abide by any rules set etc...

hi all
1st up I want to say thanks for all the info on here from all the forum folks. NUGGET you have done well mate having a good bunch of people on here.

is there any members on here that are local to the kal area that are interested in helping out.
I have been out prospecting quite a lot of times now an boy have I walked some kms :) still waiting for that 1st piece
I have found some really good country that thought be good gold bearing ground.its got greenstone in the area as well as quartz with colour.salt and pepper ground and ironstone.
im just seeing if there is anyone around who is quite willing to lend a hand on how to read the land and if im on the right path with my research.
I have been using the gpx 4800 series with factory settings with either 14x9 or 18x12 coiltek mono coils.
im hoping this will be enough for now to get things moving as we all know.so many questions to ask when new at this very highly addictive past time.
ps nugget if I have put this post in wrong area am very sorry
regards jason

Jason .. On having read posting from various sources .. there are many people still waiting to find their first .. don't became discouraged and doubt yourself.. My understanding of what you should be looking for is exactly what you describe .. you may have to walk only another metre before you detector comes to life .. There are people who detect on the beach ... their lead is easy to find... its the white sand that stretches between the ocean and generally a road running parallel to the water... yet some will walk many days on the lead to only find junk.

Hopefully someone will be able to validate your research.

Peter.

Heading off tomorrow morning and I hope the weather holds off. Looks like a bit of rain is forecast but shouldn't be too heavy hopefully.

Everything is organised and the car packed really well this time. Managed to get the large storage box in sideways which makes a huge difference.

I have hired the new SDC 2300 to take out for a swing, as I don't have a lot of time and want to be in and out of the car quickly, I thought I would see what this is like.

Will keep you updated as I go and maybe see you out there.

Wesaus

Do lots of research and study many maps, read about all the 'secret' spots.
When you have a clear picture of where everyone else has gone then you know where not to look :)....

Best of luck Westaus, the SDC is finding plenty of Gold (not mine yet after 1 quick trip), so if your coil goes over it it will find it. I'm heading out later this week for a serious detect. I have reports via txt it is doing very well in a heavilly detected area. :) Head to known spots and hopefully you'll get some, don't lack confidence in the maching either, they are great.

Gidday Jason..I have the same problem as you do mate in the kal area. I look for the same signs that you have described, travel and walk many kilometres and have found zilch, just loads of bits of tin and wire ,bullets and foil some mean person (putting it nicely) has buried 1 metre underground. Plus a nice sore back to take home to Missus.

I am swinging the gpx5000 and use the fine gold settings that a friend uses, 11in mono and 16in mono, incidentally he finds gold on a regular basis. not big (as yet) but yeah!!

He did tell me to look for signs where other prospectors have been (detector holes, covered or uncovered), they may have missed some bits, also to ground balance regularly if your prospecting junk areas.

thinking of going on the prospector day tour with Mark at finderskeepers...will see if the missus can spare $150...will post something after im done. Have also found Loamers post on here , very helpful.

Never give up Rob

hi all
thanks for the replys.
nar to young to give up rob.
so you are based in kal here as well?
I did the tour with mark bout 5months ago before I brought the 4800.he is the main reason I purchased it as that's what he runs for his tours
jason

Hi westaus.
If you get this while you are in kal I can show you areas in that km radius of Kal where I've been hunting.maybe you mite more luck then me.
Send me a message and quite happy to meet up and show you on map where its legal to go on pending ground.hope this helps out and not to late
Jason

Hi there fellow prospectors,
Jason,..yes mate I am based here in Kal and I try to get out as much as I can now that I am in between jobs, and the weather is nice and cool. I think you and I must be walking in each others footsteps by the sounds. No doubt you have to walk over them before you find them.

Not really sure whether I should spend the money on that tour ,because me mate keeps finding pieces of gold using the same settings an prospects in the same areas that I do . unless hes not telling me the trade secret.. he has been at it for 4 years so is pretty experienced. The only difference is he runs the 17in NF elliptical coil and I run the 16in round NF. I may have to slow the swing and fine tune the ears and eyes in, I think we may be missing one vital element.....look out when we find it aye?

Carry couple small lead sinkers around with you , they make the same sound as gold nugs, till you find a real one.
Anyone out there, please correct me if I say the wrong thing , thanks

Good luck and go hard!!
Rob

Hi Traveln,

Mate, if there is one bit of advice I can give you, and to all prospectors is;

When starting out, or using a new detector, go to the so called "Flogged Area's",
Use a small coil, low and slow, think outside the box.
If there is a rock in you way, move it, detect under it, between old stumps, push your way under trees.

If you can find a bit of gold in "Flogged Area's" you will find it anywhere.
It's a great learning tool.
Best thing is, everybody will tell you where 'Flogged" ares are. Especially in Kalgoorlie where there is a permanent prospecting population.
They want you to go to the flogged areas, keeps you away from their secrete spots. So ask around.

I found my biggest nugget between 2 rocks this year, in an area where I would make as much money setting up an Ice Cream truck to cater for every Retiree in Australia.

Why, because everybody before me took the easy route.

GD

Hi Jason

Damn... Sorry just logged in and saw your offer. Thank you that is very kind of you, unfortunately I am heading off in the morning, but I will certainly drop you a line when next in the area. With a bit of luck I will be back later in the year, and it will be a bit warmer. Phew been cold here, Perth is warmer.

I will put some details up in a day or two to show some of the areas we went. Like yourself fairly close to Kal itself.

Take care everyone

Hey guys so I'm very new to detecting have owned an sdc2300 since the start of September but don't live local to any gold field that bears larger gold :mad:

My cousin lives in Kalgoorlie he moved there a few months ago and I'm going to see him mid November :)

And of course I'm taking the sdc2300 and spend a day or 2 poking around!

Just wondering if there are any books or maps I should buy to find some areas to detect over there as I know there are a lot of privet claims and what not :)
And it's also going to be the first time I have left the eastern side of Australia :lol:
Safe to say I'm excited !

Your machine is a proven gold getter and will find small gold that other machines miss. I have been to WA twice with the SDC 2300
and have gotten over 150 nuggets with it.

Wow 150 nuggets !!!
If I got 1 I would be happy!!!!

I really gotta do some research on where to go cause I have no idea !

Or how far out I need to go !

I got the sdc for my 21st chose the sdc
Because it's light weight and folds up so I can take it anywhere !!!

Thay say newbies have all the luck because they DON'T know where to look, and thus don't look in all the usual spots that great research and knowledge point to ,... and gold is where you find it. ;)
good luck on the trail. :D

Use this - http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/GeoView-WA-Interactive-1467.aspx

Easiest and great tool to get started.

Open the program and then select tenements. That will tell you exactly where you can and cannot go. It does not tell you though if the land is private or crown land. That is harder to work out.

It allows you to print the map you are looking at as well, just remember to show coordinates and you have a scaled map.

Also you can get your miners right in Kalgoorlie they have DMP there. So just go and get it when you arrive, have all your ID and away you go.

They will also help with some ideas (usually) and assistance. Like everywhere you get good and bad people that want to help or not.

Latest posts