Jupiter and noisy detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capertee gold

Works over rated
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK just a article I'm reading in Gold Gem & Treasure
About the effect of Jupiter on your detectors threshold
So while detecting a spot today that ive been to many times before i just found it impossible to get the machine quite today
The ground is quite heavily mineralize but , I normal have no problem running the GP with an 11 inch mono in the area
So back to the Jupiter article
Jupiter emits intense variable radio signals from 40 MHz down to just a few kilohertz
So in basic terms if jupiter is above the horizon during the day (and i can confirm this now looking out the back right now as its nowhere to be seen) it can interfere with your detector.
So just wondering if anyone else has had this problem .
And does it seem highly feasible
Cheers Mark oh this is my first real post so go easy

It is extremely unlikely that radio emissions from the Jupiter would affect metal detector. Most of those radio emissions are in 4 to 40 MHZ range, very short and would have about 1uV signal strength on yagi antenna tuned to above frequency and pointed on Jupiter. The short wave radio stations around the world operate on same frequency and will have many times more powerful signals then signals from the Jupiter.
Karl

Tough one. I remember the old Jupiter radio scanner from a Dick Smith Electronics book years back and it was a rather simple device.

I do highly doubt the interference is possible, but I'll keep an open mind about it.

At the moment there are a few large solar flares happening. I would imagine that these would have more of an effect.

You also have to look at atmospheric conditions. Many years ago we used to look for certain conditions to try to 'bounce' radio waves to try to get more distance from very low powered transmitters. If conditions are right you can get electrical noise from towns and industrial areas many kms away reflecting back from the atmosphere.

Just one of the hazards living in a modern world I guess.

I think you will find that EMI is more down to Military Radio waves from thousands of miles away and the odd storm within a few hundred miles from your location and at certain times of the day this happens, Some days it will be worse than others due to Skip as those signals will travel further, and when you Tune your machines you are actually using it as an RDF (Radio Direction Finder) by pointing the coil in the direction of the source of the Noise.

Try this link, Dave Johnson from first Texas explains it well Here,
http://detectorstuff.com/dave-johnson-time-of-day-and-electrical-interference/

GaryO said:
All the talk of solar flares and skip is bringing back my old CB days :)

Well skip is the cause in a nut shell, In the UK skip can be found from between 9 to 11pm up until around 7:30 AM ish, Add on the Time Zone difference OZ being 8 to 10 hours ahead and the UK and that the US is 5 to 8 hours behind the UK (GMT) and then you can work out where is coming from by taking a reading with a Compass and then looking at a world Map.

grubstake said:
Ridge Runner said:
Nuggetbuster said:
who is the author of the article?

Dave Johnson is the best VLF designer/Engineer with over 45 leading VLFs to his Credit,

I think Nuggetbuster is asking about the author of OP's Jupiter article in Gold, Gem & Treasure magazine.

Ooops, beaten again! :lol:

Yeah That's why I normally click the quote button so people know who I am talking to, Sometimes I forget and jump right in, then its too late,lol

Well I can prove that theroy wrong now jupiter's rise time was 5am this morning
I was out early 7am till10am and the GP was running silent as a baby
Maybe the solar flares thing is a more phesable answer
And there is no power lines or towns for miles so ruled that out too

Latest posts