Jupiter Creek SA Not Giving Up The Good Stuff?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

Ben
Reaction score
Hi all, I spent all day at Jupiter Creek today detecting hard, here's my hoard. Just rubbish, no gold. I was picking up some very fine bits of wire as well as well-buried .22 bullets, so I'm guessing I'm doing the right things, just haven't got lucky yet. Does that sound about right? I'm using a second-hand GPX5000 which seems to be really good at what it does, I just need to do my part. I seem to have no problems picking up surface targets, but not sure if I'm missing deeper targets with the continuous low-amplitude chatter due to ground variations.

Regarding noises the detector makes, I'm thinking there's a bit of a pattern of biii-baaa (high then low) when crossing a non-ferrous target, and the reverse (baaa-biii) when crossing ferrous targets. Does that sound right, or am I imagining it?

Have a good day! Thumper.
1634285139_img_20211015_170325.jpg

Gday Thumper,
I run a 5000 as well and after detecting at Jupiter Ck.on many occasions, I have yet to find any gold, so youre no orphan mate.
At times there is bad EMI there... probably coming from the police training area or houses nearby, so it all gets down to how quiet you can run the machine on any particular day. I have always found it a frustrating place to detect and vowed never to go back there, but as you probably know, we have precious few areas to fossick here in SA...
Just thought I would throw that out there, so you dont get disillusioned.
PM me if you ever want to hook up for a swing there in the future..... maybe we could swap notes, cheers.

Hi OzzieAu and PeterInSa, thanks for the replies and for letting me know I am not alone in discovering only trash at Jupiter Creek. It does seem hard work for no return, but no doubt I will head back there again and maybe cross paths with some fellow tragics! Is Mt Crawford much better? Its a long way from me (Aldinga Beach) so not sure whether to make the trip.

I think a Victoria trip is in order, once these borders are open.

OzzieAu said:
Gday Thumper,
I run a 5000 as well and after detecting at Jupiter Ck.on many occasions, I have yet to find any gold, so youre no orphan mate.
At times there is bad EMI there... probably coming from the police training area or houses nearby, so it all gets down to how quiet you can run the machine on any particular day. I have always found it a frustrating place to detect and vowed never to go back there, but as you probably know, we have precious few areas to fossick here in SA...
PM me if you ever want to hook up for a swing there in the future..... maybe we could swap notes, cheers.

Thumper said:
Hi OzzieAu and PeterInSa, thanks for the replies and for letting me know I am not alone in discovering only trash at Jupiter Creek. It does seem hard work for no return, but no doubt I will head back there again and maybe cross paths with some fellow tragics! Is Mt Crawford much better? Its a long way from me (Aldinga Beach) so not sure whether to make the trip.

I think a Victoria trip is in order, once these borders are open.

OzzieAu said:
Gday Thumper,

Yep, more chances at Crawford, but gold is still elusive up there. Im also southside, so yes it is a fair hike from this side of town.
I usually make one or two trips a year to Vic, but have been restricted to our local flogged areas since lockdowns.
Maybe soon well get a chance to head over. :p

Thumper, I detect in WA Tibooburra and Vic, I think Tib is much more productive in finding gold every day than Vic, but generally its all small stuff. Vic is great for scenery/socializing finding the odd piece or 2, unless you are detecting on private property( as we were in the 80's/90/s an early 2000) or you have have done some good research. An seeing what a 6000 can do in a thrashed out patch in WA a 6000 in Vic would help also.

We are totally short changed by SA Gov. All of our best gold bearing areas are off limits due to mining lease restraint and the SA Government has the audacity to charge you for detecting at Jupiter Creek, it's a total waste of time if your looking for gold. It might be alright if you want to get some experience using your detector cause there's plenty of rubbish to be found but you'd be better off going to the GT or Tibooburra if borders are open where you'd be a good chance to find a bit of gold while learning how to use your detector. Dave

Jupiter Creek has been good to me over the years, even though I've come to hate the place, mainly due to being spoilt in Vic, and locally I find Crawford so much more relaxing. The EMI at Jupiter and the bull ants can both be brutal haha.

If anyone is looking for some inspiration to give Jupiter Creek a go, here's a selection of my Vids, all Jupiter Ck finds.

Got a bit two weeks ago @JC and was first in 6 sessions there.
SDC and Gold extreme 14 x 9

Chapel Hill was good for a bit almost every trip but now closed.

Mt Crawford has never been good to me unfortunately so now it’s a drive and camp @ Tib or Tarnagulla.

SA very disappointing for our hobby now.

Latest posts