It is where it is

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was asked this morning to try and find an engagement ring lost at a spot last night watching fireworks. I arrived at the spot and looked around and was surprised by the amount of rubbish on the ground as I never would of picked this for a spot where people would gather, so after cleaning some up the person arrived and showed me the general area they where. With tons of luck I found the ring within 1/2 an hour but also got some tones on the way and left them and marked with my foot to come back after they had left. Well got about $48.00 in coins and then this ring wow I looked up at the sky and thanked the 'Goddess of Gold' as it would appear she is looking over me at the moment. 6 grams 9ct maybe diamond, will go back another day and do some more work on this area.
1451631883_20160101_165424.jpg

So you handed the ring into the nearest police station and with a receipt you will be the legal owner of that ring in 90 days if the owner dosent claim it ?

goldwright said:
I was asked this morning to try and find an engagement ring lost at a spot last night watching fireworks. I arrived at the spot and looked around and was surprised by the amount of rubbish on the ground as I never would of picked this for a spot where people would gather, so after cleaning some up the person arrived and showed me the general area they where. With tons of luck I found the ring within 1/2 an hour but also got some tones on the way and left them and marked with my foot to come back after they had left. Well got about $48.00 in coins and then this ring wow I looked up at the sky and thanked the 'Goddess of Gold' as it would appear she is looking over me at the moment. 6 grams 9ct maybe diamond, will go back another day and do some more work on this area.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4651/1451631883_20160101_165424.jpg

Yeah mate, the gold gods are shining very brightly on you. Well done on finding your friends ring, well done on the bonus ring too. I went looking for a mates ring once also and got a bonus gold ring too, never found my mates though, he did 6 months later under his bed, lol.

Thanks Heatho, could not believe it when it came out of the ground. 5 $2 coins where sun baking too, so will be a good producer in the future me thinks.

goldwright said:
Thanks Heatho, could not believe it when it came out of the ground. 5 $2 coins where sun baking too, so will be a good producer in the future me thinks.

Sounds like it mate, the finds will hopefully just keep coming from there. Some sites just keep giving. :)

goldwright said:
Tater said:
So you handed the ring into the nearest police station and with a receipt you will be the legal owner of that ring in 90 days if the owner dosent claim it ?

Ring was about 4 inches down mate, I think the search for this ring would of ended quite few years ago.

Makes no difference " stealing by finding " outdoes the myth of " finders keepers" .

goldwright said:
Tater said:

Ring was about 4 inches down mate, I think the search for this ring would of ended quite few years ago.

Makes no difference " stealing by finding " outdoes the myth of " finders keepers" .

finding
by Brendan Wilkinson

Offence under: Section 74, Crimes Act 1958

Overview: A person can be charged with theft if he or she finds or accidentally comes across something belonging to another and then keeps it or deals with it as if he or she is the owner.

Example

For example, Ms XY sees a wallet lying outside her house and keeps the contents of it.

In addition to using the $50 found inside, she also attempts to sell a diamond ring she finds inside the wallets coin compartment.

She gets tracked down by the police after she puts the ring up for sale on eBay turns out it was made to order by the owner and easily identifiable.

Although Ms XY has come to the property innocently, she appropriated it by keeping it and dealing with it as an owner.

The finders keepers rule does not apply.

you call that an example? :lol:

i found 82 cents the other night so i'll take that to the police station too will i.

little bit of difference between a wallet and a ring i think.

i'd like to think most people are honest and if they find a wallet would check the i.d or address and contact the person it belongs to.
:mad:

What rule books say that police officers have to do what you are saying. I don't trust them and they would most likely pocket my find themselves. What's to prevent this. When you have no proof of anything...they can do what they want. If I did hand in an item to be classed as 'lost n found' I'd want a copy of the report, have photos where I found it and photo of me holding it with detector in hand, and also a time and date of when I can pick the item up if no owner is found, all as official paperwork. ( is there a time limit???? Wheres the laws for how long the police can hold an item or is this just judged by any old officers descision on the day )

An owner of a ring would need full documentation of purchase history to proove it was thiers, and in the case if there was proof, it is a 'mistake' of ownership to what no charges can validly be able to be applied to a hobbyist metal detector.

Its not directly stealing and it hasn't been found. Its been detected with an electronic device sold on shelves for a hobby. Who's gonna pay for the batteries, time etc for the found to be made..by our own machines..in our own time.. etc..

There would be a battle on my end as the laws don't define metal detecting. A tourist could hire a detector..get coins and rings..and take them home. Imo its a design from late 70s early 80s for an engagement ring. Possibly exactly the same as my fathers, ( how can you identify a ring that's production made? ;) ). If you do have concerns you can equire not through police, but through solicitor or legal aid. Police do not know laws in full and is why they are public servants which then hand the material and gathered evidence for dispute and resolution to the court of law.

Wallet is certainly different but still a different story if its buried 4" under.

If the owner of a metal detected 'property' is found, then the person who lost it should be charged for littering as well. It makes as much sense as the current conversation to me.

-

Keeping the thread relevant to the title, great finds goldwrite, sounds like you had a mad hunt with some great finds. Handfull of coins and an awesome ring. I'm jealous :D

Brendon,... Miss xy took the ring out of a wallet, if anyone did that they would be stealing for sure,.... now I have about 10 full buckets of crap that I've dug up that I have yet to sort through, its all still covered with dirt and full of harmful led dioxide and asbestos fibres from old sites,... how about I just try and hand that in to a police station and have them document it all,.. they are just going to give me a stupid look (they do take all the live bullets I find though),... this is a wonderful hobby, enjoyed by many like minded people,.. and this part of this discussion has been covered already before on this forum,. Do a bit of a search mate. :D

Tater said:
goldwright said:
Tater said:

finding
by Brendan Wilkinson

Offence under: Section 74, Crimes Act 1958

Overview: A person can be charged with theft if he or she finds or accidentally comes across something belonging to another and then keeps it or deals with it as if he or she is the owner.

Example

For example, Ms XY sees a wallet lying outside her house and keeps the contents of it.

In addition to using the $50 found inside, she also attempts to sell a diamond ring she finds inside the wallets coin compartment.

She gets tracked down by the police after she puts the ring up for sale on eBay turns out it was made to order by the owner and easily identifiable.

Although Ms XY has come to the property innocently, she appropriated it by keeping it and dealing with it as an owner.

The finders keepers rule does not apply.

That's a really crap analogy Tater, as a newbie you should do as Silver said and search the forum as this topic has been covered in previous threads. Secondly, this is a members finds thread, not a lesson on law and order thread. Cheers.

Tater said:
goldwright said:
Tater said:

Coming on with strong opinions for a newcomer to the forum there Tater. As said by Silver and Heatho, experienced detectorists are very aware of the "Theft by stealing law" You must have " a reasonable chance of finding the owner." A gold ring with no markings dug 4 inches down in the soil has zero to very little chance of being returned to it's owner in my opinion.

Yes there have been tales of people handing items in only to have some less than honest police officers keeping the goods.
If you want to continue this conversation then start your own topic because you have really detracted from goldright's great find.

I will leave this here for a while than tidy up this topic by removing some posts.

Peace

Latest posts