is this find anything to.be concerned about?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this today on a hunt near old bullet shells. Its very heavy for its size. Could it be a rifle grenade tip?
1410275206_cam01771.jpg

1410275234_cam01770.jpg

1410275274_cam01769.jpg

When i say near i mean 30 metres away and there were only 2 bullet shells there very old world war 2 onwa possibly. Or is this unrelated

Not too sure if its brass. It could be has the yellow gold look. It is very heavy and solid i mean it weighs a kilo.
I think there is one very similar in the pic. On the far right hand side

Maybe not a kilo but hslf a kilo. And yes pretty sure its brass.
Should i clean it or leave it in that condition. Dont want to take the patina off it

When I searched I had '1800' in the keywords so 18th century is all I can say for now. If you scratch or scrub a little area with brasso you will be able to tell if its brass if you wanted to. It could be iron though.

I doubt it is a grenade as I searched for a similar looking rifle grenade of springfield and enfield and they look very different compared to the shape of your object there. BUT if you are worried, get a pin or nail and slowly scrape out the little hole as far as you can, DONT DRILL IT OUT just in case. Use a drill bit and rotate it slowly by hand, letting the junk fall out. Keep a bucket of water nearby and dunk it into that as often as you can. If it is a grenade ( which I very much doubt ), getting into that hole and soaking it will ruin any gunpowder if it were in there. If it's a plumb bob, that hole probably goes all the way through.

Even if you are super paranoid, you dont have to do this by hand, you could make a jig to hold, drill and drop in water from a distance using wood and string. If you live near me, I can do this for you if you want, but chances are we are miles apart. ( Can you update your profile so we know what area you are in? )

I just noticed in the photo I posted that maybe brass was just a decoration on the bobs, and the main section ( what you have ) could be iron.

old brass bed knobs
no.1
images

no.2
images

no.3
images

no.4
images

no.5
images

I'd say no.4 is it.

Looks very similar to a bed knob. However it is not. Its a plumb bob. The top still has some fabric/string in the hole.
Thpugh it does look very similar i cant imagine thwre being string at the end of a bed knob. Lol
The area i found it screams early 1800`s surveying equipment which they would have uaed plumb bobs. Near the ocean in ghe froest past the sand dunes.

Yea i believe so hamish. Im sure it was used to navigate the area a long long time ago. How it was lost fascinates me and whos was it? Mathew Flinders? Is just a stab in the dark.
Im soaking the cross i found nearby in apple vineger to hopefully reveal some more insight.

Latest posts