Is it safe to Sluice downstream from a known Cyanide processing mine?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking at running my Walbanker downstream from a mine that used to process via battery crushing and then using Cyanide to obtain the gold.
I know you can find mercury downstream from mines that used mercury to amalgamate, Asides from not putting any gold in my mouth will this gold be safe to handle?

Cheers

I personally wouldn't care.. but there 'may' be a percentage of contamination surrounding the area still after the years. Wear gloves mabey and keep skin water contact minimum if your worried. Bit hard sluicing and not touching water though lol

Cant say you would need the stream & sediment report on that area form your DPI on that area. cheers
Jembaicumbene

If it were me personally I would think like this, Any toxins wether it be cyanide, mercury, etc. etc. you don't see the affect it has on your body toxins create free radicals in your body's bloodstreams leaving your cells open for attack to any virus etc. etc. just a thought ... but on the other hand just don't play with the water collect all the mercury I would be interested if the mercury holds any gold? and enjoy the day and post us some pics ;)

If your equipment is aluminum I would strongly suggest you do some research on the effects of mercury on aluminum .

Quote, Well, not really. What mercury actually does to aluminum, as seen in the video below, is penetrate the protective oxide (rust) layer of the aluminum, allowing it to rust much more rapidly. The mercury allows the surface of the aluminum to be constantly exposed to the air, creating a continuous rusting process that in effect eats away the metal.
Of course this normally doesnt happen, as an oxide layer naturally forms on the aluminum almost instantly, protecting it from further rusting. However, mercury inhibits that process, and it looks awesome, even in time-elapsed video. End quote.

Taken from.

https://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/mercury-eats-aluminum/

I once read that Cynide breaks down quick in the environment? I am not a chemist so be careful, i think there maybe be risks from elevated heavy metal toxins though a cautious approach would de OK, just don,t drink the water and wash your hands and gear after exposure. :cool:

Latest posts