Interesting...All about road tolls.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that he has brought the anomaly to the surface a lot of others may take his lead and refuse to pay as well. Interesting to note that the toll companies have ceased trying to make him pay and won't take him to court, they must think he would have some chance of winning and are refusing to take the risk.
The situation in Sydney with their tolls is disgraceful, it costs me nearly $40 to go from my son's place at Kellyville to my daughters place at Pyrmont and back, pure extortion. I traveled for over 300kms in Florida on tollways and it cost me $11.

This guy will eventually be told by courts to pay.
I asked our legal guy at work today, and his response was that they (Toll etc) were well researched, and that there's Constitutional differences between:
Taxes, Duties (viz: Stamp Duties), Levies, Debts Due etc., and that it would just be a matter of time and the number of litigants, before the matter would be brought to court.
Sorry guys, but I'll keep my toll account paid.

numpty said:
people in melbourne are paying tolls too on roads that were payed for by the people then the government sell it to a private company who then charge people more to drive on roads that we payed for.......... disgrace!

They might as well sell the rural road network as a resolution to fix them,they are beyond a joke in Vic. After all that's what they did with the metro freeways so they could blame others (the purchaser) for their lack of governance.

I don't know how true it is but I was told that the toll company gets a set number of years to fleece Sydney motorists then the roads revert back to the state and will be free, only problem is the set number of years start from when the tollways are finished and there is always continuing work being done on the roads so that the start point can't be reached. Sounds suss to me but with the past corruption in the NSW Government it wouldn't completely surprise me.

A lot of Sydney's toll roads came about when Bob Carr was premier of NSW. Funding was provided by the Macquarie Bank. After Carr retired as premier and left politics, he went straight onto the board of the Macquarie Bank. (far be it from me to suggest any form of corruption might have been involved here.)
Footnote: Now that tolls have been reintroduced on Sydney's M4, traffic is bumper to bumper on other alternative roads and back streets. :D :D :D

Latest posts