Off Road / 4WD Caravans

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave's Office

Have Detector Will Travel
Reaction score
Out Of all the vans I have researched, the MDC caravans appear to be the best, especially if you intend to take them off road, not cheap but I think it's a case of getting what you pay for, I'm going to town on Saturday to check out the one I think suits my needs.

Out Of all the vans I have researched, the MDC caravans appear to be the best, especially if you intend to take them off road, not cheap but I think it's a case of getting what you pay for, I'm going to town on Saturday to check out the one I think suits my needs.
Dave,
It appears you may have missed some important reviews for you to make that recommendation.
Have a read of reviews here: https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/market-direct-camper?page=1

Pay particular attention to warranty responses and undocumented promises.

Thanks for the heads up Terry, I hadn't read the customer reviews yet only test reviews by so called "experts", good communication is the the most important thing with any business and that seems to be more of a problem with some of those reviews than the the product itself.

Thanks Grubstake, I hadnt seen that one. Not surprising the dealers are finally starting to complain as under the consumer laws they are evidently responsible for managing any warranty claim on the vehicle theyve sold. With it being this way, there is little incentive for the manufacurer to improve their builds until the dealers gets sick of managing the repairs and stops ordering from them.

Thanks for the heads up Terry, I hadn't read the customer reviews yet only test reviews by so called "experts", good communication is the the most important thing with any business and that seems to be more of a problem with some of those reviews than the the product itself.
Dave,

Apologies to Dam it for wandering off topic.

'good communication is the the most important thing with any business' - good communication isnt the most important thing when you are spending lots of money on a van or claiming warranty.

I think for people to take the time to write negative reviews, they are either royally pissed off or have been totally screwed over and may not necessarily highlight the real issue/s for fear of litigation.

Unless the manufacturers have improved substantially, those complaints are possibly only the tip of the iceberg with some companies actively discouraging complaints and NDA's being used.

If you're actively looking for an MDC style camper, make sure that you inspect thoroughly for any signs of flooding. Earlier this year many vans. damaged in Brisbane floods went to auction starting at $1.

Some background info
From another site:
"the Company is Australian but the vans are imported from China virtually fully built. All that was left to do is bolt some bits on and attend to some gas/electrical work and fittings.
When a friend bought one last year I got to have a good look at their Brisbane operation. Each van body is attached to a steel frame/pallet. The wheels are attached to brackets near each corner of the pallet with plenty of other bits all attached to brackets around the frame. Did not get to see inside one when they came in from the docks (wouldnt show me) so no idea what is already installed internally. Got to see inside plenty ready to leave the workshop though.
The workshop had plenty of people putting the final bits and pieces on the vans. Mainly electrical/gas I thought."

- Cost effective strategy provided your QA in China is spot on!

Heavens above, the thought of buying a new van is getting frightening.😱
It's a good time to buy a used van, I reckon. You would hope that warranty problems may have been rectified, but in any case you can go out viewing accompanied by a checklist of reported failings and subject the actual vehicle to a comprehensive, thorough, personal inspection.

Plus, given present fuel prices and other economic pressures, I'd imagine more than a few mortgage-stressed owners would be looking to quickly unload a little-used, recreational luxury item, presently sitting idle outside their homes.

It's a good time to buy a used van, I reckon. You would hope that warranty problems may have been rectified, but in any case you can go out viewing accompanied by a checklist of reported failings and subject the actual vehicle to a comprehensive, thorough, personal inspection.

Plus, given present fuel prices and other economic pressures, I'd imagine more than a few mortgage-stressed owners would be looking to quickly unload a little-used, recreational luxury item, presently sitting idle outside their homes.

Have to agree with your comments Grubstake.
For those considering purchase, whether new or old, here's a checklist predominantly for new vans but still applicable for used.
https://www.caravancouncil.com.au/rv-buyers
The one thing I would emphasize when looking at vans is that if there's ANY sign of water damage or leaks, walk away.

There are a few good manufacturers out there but when I was looking even for the most basic was 75K 🤔 That's what gave me the inspiration to build my own. Topped out at under 20K which gives you an idea of the money they are making 😉

There are a number of similar camper brands all out of the same factory in China MDC being one of them. I have a few friends who had them.
All had problems but mostly minor one like things rattling off, screws falling out and spare wheel and bracket falling off.
Apart from bad after sale service and little niggley problems they were all quite happy with them but have all upgraded to a van.

I'm checking out the MDC van tomorrow, with a bit more trepidation than I might have had.🤔
Had a look at quite a few of these and we nick named them the christmas tree vans. Bits and bobs pop riveted all over them and when you give them a good shake they all fall off :rolleyes: :D In honesty if your going to use the van for sealed roads and a bit of beach camping ect then probably no issue, if you plan on dragging it up the OTL and over a few thousand K's of corrugations then you might nick name it bread crumbs perhaps 🤔 Pop rivets and corrugations just don't agree regardless of van brand so be wary if you see this form of fastener being used extensively.

I'm checking out the MDC van tomorrow, with a bit more trepidation than I might have had.🤔
I too have looked at MDC’s camper trailers, and they look reasonable, but I’ve read a few horror stories. Ive also been looking at the Cub Campers(particularly the Frontier model), they’re more expensive, but it appears to be a better product.

We have the Stoney Creek SC-FF LE.
The LE just means that it is electrically operated in its opening and closing.
That has been problematic and I have modified that system!
It's an awesome camper, but I agree with above, there are so many similarities with other brands, so the majority of parts etc come out of China for what ever brand!

SC-FFLEHeroDJI_0318_optimized-1-e1581546185322.jpg

Owned an MDC Cape York a few years back, purchased new and cost us heaps to fix up with only verbal support from the manufacturers. First failure was the brake drum seals, with less than 500klm on the clock they didn't exist, the axle contact area was like sandpaper. Had to have rings made and bonded to create a new surface for an undersize seal. Second big problem was weight distribution, so much of the stowage is forward of the axle, hitch weight gets out of control very fast. We would never buy one again.... it's made in China!

I have a test, it's called 'The screaming kid test': You've found a campsite, your tired and the kids are winging, it's raining cats-n-dogs and food is the only thing to shut the kids up. From parking the camper in position, how long does it take before you are dry in the camper with a hot brew started? You don't have to fully rig the camper or even un-hitch, that can happen in the morning, but everyone needs to be able to sleep out of the weather. It's a very interesting test, the MDC Cape York would take about 2 hrs, our last camper, a Complete Campsite Exodus around 3 mins! Yes there is a very big price difference, but the principal remains the same and will have a major impact on how long you'll own the camper. And... if the Salesman says it'll only take 5 mins, get him to prove it.

@Dihusky I agree in principle.
We started with swags, moved on to cheap tents then canvas tents, then a soft top camper trailer... all take time to set up..
This SC camper we have, yup, it is better, quicker and an improvement in conveniences...still takes time but...
To go the next step, we would probably go to a hybrid van, next step, a full off road van...
Then when it gets too bloody hard to set anything up... we will give up....

Everything takes time... how much of it can you afford to waste will determine what equipment you purchase I 'spose????

Owned an MDC Cape York a few years back, purchased new and cost us heaps to fix up with only verbal support from the manufacturers. First failure was the brake drum seals, with less than 500klm on the clock they didn't exist, the axle contact area was like sandpaper. Had to have rings made and bonded to create a new surface for an undersize seal. Second big problem was weight distribution, so much of the stowage is forward of the axle, hitch weight gets out of control very fast. We would never buy one again.... it's made in China!

I have a test, it's called 'The screaming kid test': You've found a campsite, your tired and the kids are winging, it's raining cats-n-dogs and food is the only thing to shut the kids up. From parking the camper in position, how long does it take before you are dry in the camper with a hot brew started? You don't have to fully rig the camper or even un-hitch, that can happen in the morning, but everyone needs to be able to sleep out of the weather. It's a very interesting test, the MDC Cape York would take about 2 hrs, our last camper, a Complete Campsite Exodus around 3 mins! Yes there is a very big price difference, but the principal remains the same and will have a major impact on how long you'll own the camper. And... if the Salesman says it'll only take 5 mins, get him to prove it.
I agree with the Kid Test, I am looking at either a normal Caravan or an Off Rad Camper/Trailer that is a living room on Wheels be it with a rear mounted slide out Kitchen, My Van is Great yet compact I can just pull up and get in the back, I have gone away 14 or 16 times in the past year and I like the fact is all I have to do is find a place to park up,

I can access the slide out kitchen via the back Tailgate or just raise the top of the slide out part and get cooking, I either leave the sleeping laid out or just fold/roll it back while driving, Getting setup takes 5 to 10 seconds by which time I have a coffee in hand,

The Idea of a Caravan appeals to me, But the Trailer would give me another place to sleep and extra storage space leaving just the heavy stuff in the Van, Even with all the gear I haul I never get even close to 25% of the weight I can carry,

Latest posts