Central Vic floods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD3

Reaction score
Hi guys. You paners and sluicers might be interested in some of central vic triangle rain totals since Xmas eve till now.
Wedderburn Xmas eve alone 175 mil. Dunolly 105 mil, and just about everywhere else from 90 to 150 mil.
110 mil where I am on the digs.
Roads at present are cut all over the place but the will open in a day or two. Have fun.
You can check roads here.
https://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/disruptions/302

Hi guys. You paners and sluicers might be interested in some of central vic triangle rain totals since Xmas eve till now.
Wedderburn Xmas eve alone 175 mil. Dunolly 105 mil, and just about everywhere else from 90 to 150 mil.
110 mil where I am on the digs.
Roads at present are cut all over the place but the will open in a day or two. Have fun.
You can check roads here.
https://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/disruptions/302
How's the road through Newbridge to Dunolly?

How's the road through Newbridge to Dunolly?
All are now open mate. But I went visiting today about 60 k away. All are open but watch out for thick gravels washed over the roads, slowed down 5 times for that and some shallow water which wasnt a problem if you slow when you see it.
Unfortunately several idiots hammered through the water and gravels, and you see em coming fast, so I pulled over and let them come towards me, on my side of the road mind you, throwing up big washed over the road stones and water. If I hadn't im betting id have a broken windscreen today seeing them, stones fly by.
Im a bit perplexed by the modern day "me, me, me, stuff you" driving thing.
Sign of the times huh! You are driving, there is a road issue for the drivers on the opposite side of the road, not yours. But, oh no, they have the right of way, you must pull over for them even though there is Zero Issue your side, they swing right out at you and abuse you for not giving the child privileged drivers right of way, after all they are better than you and need to get where they are going. Today I was coming through Dunolly, in the 60k area going home and was tailgated within 5 feet of my rear by a huge 4wd with the driver and vehicle full of passengers, kids and misses, with him abusing me like crazy flashing lights. And towing a huge off road van. And people wonder why I dont want to know anyone these days!
We had bigger falls in the Triangle than the news and weather sites showed.
Reason is that weather stations are often 50km away from places and they got less.
Two weeks ago, forecast here where we are 29c, actual temp by 2 gauges I have was 37c. Rain here by all weather sites where I am was 68 mil. My gauge 110.
Watching the Vic news is a joke. Following the weather sites often is too.
I dont pan anymore these days and younger I had a sluice, 12v. But id say if anyone likes it get to your favourite typically dry gully area and have a go. The water I saw go past our place was insane through the gullys.
Good luck mate.

Last edited:
All are now open mate. But I went visiting today about 60 k away. All are open but watch out for thick gravels washed over the roads, slowed down 5 times for that and some shallow water which wasnt a problem if you slow when you see it.
Unfortunately several idiots hammered through the water and gravels, and you see em coming fast, so I pulled over and let them come towards me, on my side of the road mind you, throwing up big washed over the road stones and water. If I hadn't im betting id have a broken windscreen today seeing them, stones fly by.
Im a bit perplexed by the modern day "me, me, me, stuff you" driving thing.
Sign of the times huh! You are driving, there is a road issue for the drivers on the opposite side of the road, not yours. But, oh no, they have the right of way, you must pull over for them even though there is Zero Issue your side, they swing right out at you and abuse you for not giving the child privileged drivers right of way, after all they are better than you and need to get where they are going. Today I was coming through Dunolly, in the 60k area going home and was tailgated within 5 feet of my rear by a huge 4wd with the driver and vehicle full of passengers, kids and misses, with him abusing me like crazy flashing lights. And towing a huge off road van. And people wonder why I dont want to know anyone these days!
We had bigger falls in the Triangle than the news and weather sites showed.
Reason is that weather stations are often 50km away from places and they got less.
Two weeks ago, forecast here where we are 29c, actual temp by 2 gauges I have was 37c. Rain here by all weather sites where I am was 68 mil. My gauge 110.
Watching the Vic news is a joke. Following the weather sites often is too.
I dont pan anymore these days and younger I had a sluice, 12v. But id say if anyone likes it get to your favourite typically dry gully area and have a go. The water I saw go past our place was insane through the gullys.
Good luck mate.
Ps. It aint over.
Few weeks ago the ants were building up the nests.
Then I went for a detecting go for some relics in Inglewood a drive away.
That day the ants stopped building up, they were evacuating the nests everywhere!
Said to the misses, "the rain aint over, was big a couple of weeks ago, they are outa there now!"
Today they are building up again! Within a day of floods!
More coming.
The best weather big rain forecasters are not the BoM, its the ants!
I had to laugh several weeks ago when a long range rain forecaster on the ABC said "there is no big rain coming in the coming months" 😆
There is more coming by the Ant Rain Forecast system.

JD3. Thanks for that. Had to go through 3 lots of water between Lockwood and Newbridge, the deepest was about 8", could just see the middle white line in a few spots to stay on course. I love playing games with tailgaters. When a bend to the left comes up, I cut the corner, which takes my left wheels into the gravel, then swerve back to the right, which scrapes up a load of gravel in front of them. I love to see how fast they back off, and stay backed off! Until they get a straight stretch off road, then they roar past abusing me, with me laughing at them as they go past. They try the same gravel stunt on me, but I just slow down. They won't play too long, as they're in a hurry to get somewhere.

Latest posts