I'm loosing 7 grams of gold tomorrow!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I've always had an interest in gold that stems back to seeing the diggings when out motorbike riding as a youngster.
I was lucky enough to do a little bit of panning as a youngen and that interest, now passion and hobby has always lingered.
When I finally decided to go and look for some myself just over 12 months ago the misses thought the price on a gpx 4500 was a little extravagent.
Being recently engaged I suggested to her that I would like to have her wedding ring made out of the gold I had hoped to find. I explained to her that I wanted to give myself the best chance at it and get the right equipment for the job. Funnily enough her tone changed instantly and all of a sudden it was an excellent idea (should have been a salesman haha).
In this last 12 months I have been very lucky, found my fair share of yellow for a newby and met one of the best blokes I know through this hobby who frequents this forum also. Had many day trips out with him and some have been better than others. Each and every time we always have a blast and talk shit the whole way there and back.
Had a few great weekends away combining motorbike riding and gold detecting with my fianc.
In recent times a friend of mine and his wife have jumped onboard with the camping and riding and he has recently got a 4500 as well and is absolutely hooked. The girls aren't into the detecting but love the rest of it. What a life hey!
Tomorrow we are off to see a family friend who is a master jeweler to get the ball rolling with my fiancs ring. He has requested 6 grams for the job and will handle the whole lot from refining the nuggets to the end result.
The misses has hand picked 7 grams of the cleanest gold from my small bits collection to go into her ring. Here's a few pics of what is soon to be her wedding ring.
It might sound a bit wanky, but for me this feels like a sense of accomplishment and I'm absolutely stoked to see this gold going into her ring.
1464336364_rps20160527_174538.jpg

1464336386_rps20160527_174558.jpg

mate what a great story and result. I had a great laugh, I am trying to sell my truck at the moment would you like a job

Walshie

What a softie. Nice gold

It must be serious if your giving It up.

I won't tell anybody.

I very politely said to my gorgeous girl. DONT COMPLAIN YOUR GETTING A NEW BATHROOM when I bought the sdc the other day.

So far it's worked

Good stuff , definitely sounds like a lady worth marrying :)
Are they intending on using the whole 7 grams on the 1 ring ? Considering they usually add metals to harden them it would end up a 10grammer .

Gaz

Ps.. its not Wanky at all .

Haha thanks for the replies guys. Selling the truck might be a little out of my area of expertise reynard haha. What is it?
Haha thanks jsi, definitely have a soft side. Last weekend I was forced to show my not so soft side while out on the gold with a mate. Story for another day. Congrats on the SDC mate, hopefully the gold pays for that bathroom and some!
Your spot on garyo. The jewreler wanted 4g for the half which is gold and 2g for the half which is white gold that houses the rocks mate.
Haha tazziedaz, I hope your luck is about to change mate.

Tassie Daz said:
My wife said, "Gee we'd never have gotten married" LOL

I don't want to hijack the thread but I told my love that i want her to wear my gold - she chose ear rings - beaut! I thought I have target to work towards and no deadline (win win)....... well not exactly, with smelting losses I reckon over 2 years I have enough for half a gold wire sleeper ring SO WELL DONE WALSHIE

Haha ear rings, that does make life a little easier. It can be hard to find as we all know. Lucky she didnt want a thick mafia style necklace haha.

Mate that's tops but several points .................... firstly don't worry about losing your small bits after all your getting married and secondly will be funny to hear her talk with friends about the ring and where you got it .................. she will simply say "he found it"
Good luck to you and best for the future
ps Re the KTM ....................... if it ain't orange it's a lemon :D .................... have a 525 and have to be the best dirter I've ever owned and trust me I've had a few

Great storie Walshie. Very romantic. The lady's never forget so that is some serious browny points ...... And over a life time of marriage you'll probably need every one of them. Ha ha
Good on you man!

Thanks reeks. That's a good way of looking at it Pablo.
That's true bogger, yet to come across someone else that has had their ring found in the ground haha. Your not wrong mate, KTM just do everything right, especially in the bush. Would love a new 2017 350xcf. I've decided the 250sx is gonna be a keeper. The recent purchase of a gpz kind of made up my mind for me haha. Are you in Vic mate?
Haha dignit, your probably dead right

Walshie ex Vic Qld now .......................... used to do all the blue light enduros and rode mostly Neerim area. But I'm an old bugger mate I used to race in the Hattah desert rally ........................ you might be old enough to have heard about it lol
KTM ...................... ready to race straight out the crate and had them all Suzukis, Yamaha but nothing come close as the KTM's have all the top gear already bolted on
Enjoy all you do and once again congrats as it sounds to me like even without the detector you have found gold in your lady in any case ;)

Ahh yeah cool. Yeah I'm famiar with the blue lights and hattah. My little bro is racing hattah this year.
Yeah spot on mate, got all the good gear straight outa the factory.
Thanks mate, likewise.

Thanks mate, going out tomorrow for a swing. Who knows, I might replenish the collection of small stuff. I'll bring the gopro and try to get a few vids, there's plenty of small stuff there so were gonna do some raking and have a go

Latest posts