I found another trap for novice detectorists today

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax3022

Tony
Reaction score
After knocking off work at 4pm i raced to the beach once again to continue my learning of my machine, it gets dark about 5:30 so i was anxious to cover as much ground as possible. I was going well coming up to nearly $3 in coin when a bloke comes up to me and proceeds over the next 20mins telling me about ALL of the detectors he has owned along with EVERY find AND ringpulls he had found......... I'm a pretty patient and courteous kind of person but jesus....... :/

Finally while he was up to 1990 it started pissing down rain, i took my cue, made a beeline away from the beach and my new bestie :/ haha

Has anyone come across this much?

My mate reckons if this happens you take a step towards them and start making strange sounds...... Works for him aparently hahaha they don't want to converse with a crazy man pmsl

Well if the sight of me in my detecting gear dont scare em off , nothing will !

No need to be rude, just make continuous eye contact with him and cultivate a dribble that runs down your chin, wait for a break in the monologue and say politely "I'm still trying to be a good boy, ever since I got released...." then twitch almost imperceptibly and say "Mmmmhhm?"

Ha ha ha ...You sound just like the guy who was hi-banking next to me last weekend mate :eek: ...are you related..lol...Cheers Wal. :D

Nothing like having to hear someone's life story when you really don't want to. That's why it's better to work in pairs, you can walk off and leave your mate to listen to it all!

I had a fellow of middle european background (think former soviet union) bail me up for near half an hour. Told me allllllll about his detecting exploits across various places in Poland, Germany, Feiwoifewstan etc.

Anyway I took on board a couple of things he told me which resulted in me hitting an area I wouldn't have hit and it produced a 1911 Florin and a handful of KGV threepences and a mate got a 1886 QV threeence too (bastard, one of my goals is a English silver!)

Don't dismiss these guys as annoying as they are as you may get something from them!

I went to the nude beach at Point Addis !! no one came within 50 yards

I sell Penny Fox Whistles and most of my customers use email but some are old farmers who don't have email and have to call me on the phone. They have no one to talk to so feel the need to have a yarn to me.
I was on the phone for an hour the other night and couldn't get off when all I needed was an address. I'm fairly sure I now know how many blades of grass are on his drought ridden property.
Problem is, I can't be rude otherwise I'd loose a sale.

If you wear headphones when beach detecting you will find a lot of people will just simply ignore you.... {until you stop and take the headphones off}
Basically chat time on beach is after you finish detecting.

The Tide waits for no one.

Rec

Max Mate, .. Wear of these .. Or better still grow the real thing and wax up .. Works wonders for me!

1367392565_image.jpg

Pmsl thanks for all if the suggestions :D i think my main prob is i use earbuds and wear my bluetooth headphones over the top, along with my massive wide brim hat they probably can't see em :/
I have also tried " perdonne no habla engiss"
He backed away slowly after i kept waving and saying " welcome friend !" To everything he said pmsl i felt guilty but hey i only had 20mins of daylight left?!
Oh i'm going straight to hell hahaha but i had treasure to find ;)

Not a bad idea palmer but when i try to grow a mo/beard/goatee i end up lookin like joe dirt haha all bumfluff that won't join up at all haha

Latest posts