Howdy from Cairns

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick intro to say Gday,

I moved to Cairns with the family about six months ago, driving up from Victoria. Its been good being up in this neck of the woods!!

As well as bringing 12 fishing rods on my roof rack I also brought my 4500. I have been successfully removing many shotgun pellets from the Victorian goldfields over the past two years and enjoy getting out the bush.

Slowly learning the ropes up this neck of the woods over the wet season and looking forward to having a swing in the new year when time permits.

Welcome to the forum Warble. Get up 10 posts and the members only section will be accessible then and you will be able to find out when the Cairns members have a get together at the Red Beret for a few drinks.

Cheers

Doug

Thank you gents, great to be here and have enjoyed reading the interesting posts from around the country.

Welcome, I'm also from Cairns. By now I'm sure you will have discovered that in Queensland it's all about access & permission. We don't have access to crown land like Victoria sadly. Good places for a swing are Western Creek Station, Flat Creek Station, Dells Hole, Gilberton Station. These are all in the Georgetown/Forsayth area, 4 - 6 hours drive from Cairns, and you will get gold every time. There is nothing closer to Cairns with general permission.

Thanks SteveG,

Will be awesome to check out the above locations in the coming dry season. Not as much access as Victoria but a few less detectors swinging over the ground and always happy to pay to detect as keeps the lifestyle nice and relaxing. Kicking back in the bush with the machine humming nice and quiet.

Six hours in the car flies by when your itching to have a swing!

Regards

Gavin

That's it mate, once you've done the drive a few times it seems like nothing really. All of the Georgetown stations have very nice hosts and there are great hot shower / toilet facilities which makes it easier, especially if you are taking kids

Latest posts