how small would you bother keeping?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greglz86

Greg Anderson
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just got back from my first attempt at highbanking for sappires and im stoked with how I went. I brought home some beauties that I will post some picks of later.
When sieving through the stones I would use a 1/4 inch and the 1/8 inch sieve. The rest went into a pan and when I looked through the pan I was seeing dozens of tiny gemstones. Many of them looked as though I should be keeping them.
I was just curious on how small of stones do other member keep and possibly have cut? Is it worth my while getting a 1/16 or smaller sieve to go through the stuff I brought home?
Cheers Greg

Nah Greg, anything that drops through the 1/8th sieve is only good for looking at. They look great in a little glass vial filled with a clear light oil.

Anything clear and the right shape in the 1/8 sieve though is worth sending to Thailand for cutting. Anything clear and chunky in the top sieve is woooohoooo! :)

Thanks mate. Still might hold on to them though. I reckon they would look great on bottom of a fish tank. ;)

Look stunning when sprinkled onto a sheet of glass and coated with casting resin. Classy looking coffee table top, especially with a small led light shining up from underneath. Chuck your tiny little zircons in with them as well. ;)

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Look stunning when sprinkled onto a sheet of glass and coated with casting resin. Classy looking coffee table top, especially with a small led light shining up from underneath. Chuck your little zircons in with them as well. ;)

Cheers Wal.

A Kiwi bloke I met at Inverell had the same idea Wal, he was there for 3 weeks and had a 500ml coke bottle full. :eek: He was staying another 3 weeks, never saw how many he ended up with after 6 weeks there......... Bet he's got a nice coffee table though.

WalnLiz said:
Seen a couple made, and if done right can be a very sought after item bringing in some "Real" cash when sold. ;)

Jeez, you had to say that, lol.How many ounces of stones do you think is needed to make one?

Farout now I'm gonna need a 1/16 to go through the wash tubs at the end of the day........ maybe........ :)

I keep my stash of gems and gold on the coffee table, doesn't matter how small they are the little vials are great discussion points when someone new comes over. A lot of people love to look at them so no harm in keeping pretty stones. Unfortunately im a little obsessed so have a bunch of rocks sitting on a plate as well, just cant bring myself to chuck them away! All the blood sweat and beers that went into finding them.

The coffee table thing sounds like a top idea. But I reckon I could sell them to some hippies. I will just call them soul, love or healing beads or some crap like that. Sell them at a doof when they are high as kites.
Id make a killing haha.

G'day Greg and Fiona, If you can pick them up without tweezers I'd hang onto them. You never know a good stone until a professional has had a look at them, especially that beautiful deep dark one, that initially just looked like spinel until held up to the light. Take care mate, Jon.
P.S. I like the Hippie idea. ;)

Thanks mate. It was great seeing you out there. Your going to see us out there a bit more often now ;)
Greg and fi

You keep this up Greg and there'll be no point in any one going out there....I reckon your nickname should be 'Hoover', from now on. Have a good one, Jon.

Just an idea for small gems if you collect them, these rough holding pendants are held shut by strong magnets and are very cheap on ebay in many shapes and sizes. My other half found them on ebay as she felt the poor little gems never got to see daylight always tucked away in vials ect lol.

1411356838_rough_pendant1resize.jpg

excuse the poor picture i took, the wee stones look much better in the pendant in daylight.
Rod

Mungoman said:
You keep this up Greg and there'll be no point in any one going out there....I reckon your nickname should be 'Hoover', from now on. Have a good one, Jon.

Oh, and welcome to the forum mate :)

rod said:
Just an idea for small gems if you collect them, these rough holding pendants are held shut by strong magnets and are very cheap on ebay in many shapes and sizes. My other half found them on ebay as she felt the poor little gems never got to see daylight always tucked away in vials ect lol.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ages/2474/1411356838_rough_pendant1resize.jpg

excuse the poor picture i took, the wee stones look much better in the pendant in daylight.
Rod

You wouldn't have a link or title for that pendant would you? They look great, but can't find those on ebay :(

Thanks for the welcome Jaros and Greg, much appreciated. Went out yesterday and found a couple of blues that I was happy with, was confronted by tiger leaches, nasty little buggers aren't they? I had a look at the hole Greg, and sat down and had a few thoughts about other spots that might be worthwhile...thinks to Himself, it's time to invest in a highbanker. :)

Latest posts