How much junk?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm heading out on Sunday for my first attempt. I'm just wondering what amount of rubbish and old-timer junk you would reasonably expect around old digging areas.

I know it would be highly variable but if I'm not finding any lead shot, nails, buttons, etc is it an indication that the ground has been well picked over?

dig all targets ! dispose of the crap and treasure the rest ! it is up to you what is rubbish !

bit like the question of how long is a piece of string

I plan on digging everything, especially while I discover the ins and outs of my machine. I guess I'm really asking, if I'm out there around some clear signs of previous activity and don't hit a signal, or the only stuff is 20th Century stuff - should I persist or head on down the road.

Do your research, pick a spot and stick to it mate. No point moving from one spot, to another, to another.

That'd be up to you bishop, What sort of machine will you be using ?

Suggest you employ a bit of raking whatever happens. The Green machine has a good reputation for falsing, but I'm only a video watcher of the garrett.

I have found most of my nuggets in areas where I also dug a bunch of lead. Junk doesn't mean an area hasn't been picked over and likewise no junk doesn't mean an area has been flogged.. Finding lots of old buried lead shot on the other hand is always a suretrash areas. I've dug 1000's of blanked signals in the past and never had one turn out to be a nugget so have my faith in the metal discrimination. Not sure about the ATX either where discrimination is concerned.

expect to dig 100 targets and none be gold
but if you get below 4 inches deep might be hopeful

This much?

1422072908_cam00502-optimized.jpg

This much maybe? Results from the first time out. At least I know the machine works. Pity that it turns out the smaller the junk the deeper it lives.

1422260276_img_2111_copy.jpg

Latest posts