How many hours a day do you hunt?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, 3 or 4 hours unless I'm onto something good. Then it's on until it's done.

I hunt as many how's as I can how many how's to you hunt.

Spell check in overdrive, pays to check we're all guilty of it. When I do get a chance I stay out as long as possible, sometimes it might be 2 hours or 8. Recently it's been zilch, I'm hoping for 4 hours tomorrow if I'm lucky. It'll be the first time since the Laanecoorie Bash for me, it's how it is for me at the moment.

This summer I've only managed a few hours a day on the cooler days. The days over 40 I just give it a miss as the ground is just too hot and noisey.
The rest of the year as long as the water situation is fine and the ferals aren't running amok, usually most days for as many hours as I feel like, could be 4 could be 8 or 9.

Generally when I get out to a hunt, if Ive got all day Ill go anywhere from 4-8 hours.

If Im trying to sneak one in after work, its until its too dark to detect anymore :lol:

I was out north of Kal last Sept. The temp only got to mid 30's by midday. Went out around 8am & wandered around turning gold into iron (& cupla tiny iron bits into gold) for around 6hrs. It wasn't extremely hot, but very dry air, & I was drinking about 1L/hr. Forget the people that say you need about 2L/day.
& Im not big on salt, but when you're losing that much water in a day you are also losing salts! I find a can of baked beans in the arvo good. Bit of protein, carbs, & salt. But any mildy salty carb loaded canfood is a good recharge.
A reminder about how long you are out vs how much water you drink.

The time of year has to factored in .Summer much less time looking for gold .Bit more fishing but a couple of hours early morning or late evening when work permits is the norm,The rest of the year is different go as long as the body can.Also have to factor in travel time.

I usually do 3-4 hours or until I lose concentration. After that I find that Im just not focussed. Although where I go is only 5 to 10 mins from home.

For me it is a simple thing called "whether" that governs my outings. Here are just a few.
- Whether the location is showing good signs or not, else time is spent moving somewhere else
- Whether I am actually pulling any colour from the location
- Whether the Weather is ok, not too hot, and not too wet. Cold doesn't usually come in to it
- Whether I am close to my base or not. I tend to go back for breaks if too close
- Whether the detector battery and my fluids are holding up or not
- Whether I am with company or not and how they are holding up.
- Whether I prepare for a long day out or not. Don't under-estimate this one.

So could be anywhere from a few hours to all day.

Rob P.

Latest posts