How do forum members clean their finds?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clean to keep? Toothbrush and warm water, then sonic cleaner (el cheapo from Alidi does the trick). You can also use brikkies acid and mag-cleaner to clean off the quartz and ironstone- be careful with any chemicals and there are a few 'formulas' and tips on this forum. I only ever clean nice jewellery gold keepers.

To sell? Bugger it - let the buyer buy the little bits of dirt - it all adds up in weight.

G'day

Much the same as Loamer but no toothbrush (I'm lazy)- straight into the ultrasonic cleaner, into the mag-cleaner, then a final dip back in the ultrasonic

Cheers

Chimpy

Robin - here are two examples.

1. Straight out of the ground. Note how clean and the small natural hole. This is what I call jewellery gold - worth more than its sale weight because it looks different and its basically ready to go as some form of jewellery. it was 13 grams so a bit on the heavy side for a necklace however. A quick run through the sonic cleaner and keep.

1396345618_a1gold.jpg

2. straight from the ground - dirty, nothing special to look at to make it worth more than its weight price. I didn't bother cleaning it. About 6 grams (I think). Off for sale.

1396345710_a2gold.jpg

Ive tried quite a few different things for cleaning up gold and nothing beats Alibrite, youve just got to be careful using it ie wear gloves and glasses. Drop your nuggets in a plastic container with the Alibrite for about 3 days and give the container a bit of a shake once a day or so. They actually come out looking so clean that they almost look fake- some people like that while others prefer the more natural dirtier look-each to their own. :)

RobinW, if you post your nugget to me, I will clean it for you for free. You will have to be quick, as I am relocating to a small town in central South America, I will send you my new address early in 2016.
Actually this offer applies to anybody else that has some dirty nuggets as well. My wife calls me GOLDEN HEART.

RobinW said:
What about gold tax when he leaves the country :eek:

Tone it down there Robin W ..... Don't want to give Tony Abbot & Co any more ideas for ripping us of (oops sorry, not ripping us of just getting the country back on track, yeah and purple pigs fly).
Cheers Tom

Young Simmo said:
RobinW, if you post your nugget to me, I will clean it for you for free. You will have to be quick, as I am relocating to a small town in central South America, I will send you my new address early in 2016.
Actually this offer applies to anybody else that has some dirty nuggets as well. My wife calls me GOLDEN HEART.

FOR REAL :eek: .........stick to a tooth brush and cleaning fluids RobinW, this sounds like it has problems written all over it, very much smells like a different type of NUGGET :|

The quickest and best way I've found to clean gold nuggets is an aluminium cleaner called "Ali Brite". Supercheap stocks it. It has 5% Hydrofluoric acid, I need to list nuggets on eBay as I find them. Have tried everything else. Stainless split shot is good if you don't mind losing a bit of weight. The end result if using a combination of Ali Brite and split shot is you can see your reflection in the nuggets! My method is simply Ali Brite bath for 2 days. Also, It will eat out quartz and iron if left for about 8 weeks.

i use ultrasonic cleaner on gold but I believe gold is almost indestructible by solvents so you are fairly safe to use nearly anything.
As for modern coins and even most pre decimals I use a Lortone rock tumbler with a bit of aquarium gravel. Rare pre decimals I only clean with warm soapy water.

If you are going to use any acids you SHOULD use a neutralizing agent like bicarb of soda.

yes of course Boots, I should have added that, I usually use a teaspoon of bicarb with 50 ml of water then thoroughly rinse

Latest posts