How can I get over fear camping alone?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goody2shoes said:
I slept on the ground all the way around Australia a couple of Years a go...

Only problems I had was with ant's, mozzies, and big bloody water rat's,

Goody :)

And the good news is that if you stop in places where's there's any possibility of water rats - leave your bonnet up overnight, and you're far less likely to have your engine's wiring loom chewed to bits. Otherwise, Ratty thinks to self: "Great nest, solid roof, lots of nesting material (wires have lovely soft plastic covers, and look at all those delicious coloured flavours! ...) What could possibly go wrong??" :argh:

http://unsealed4x4.com.au/u4x4/issue046/#239

(Check out the article with pics in the link above, called 'When Water Rats Attack'.)

EDIT - inserted link.

a grown man scared of camping over night that's funny my 12 yr old daughter camps out by herself you maybe need to grow a set :eek:

This has been a great read so far for me. But can anyone find a solution for vgh .Maybe as simple as don't go on your own.No its to good a read to be that simple.

Crocs are the only wildlife I'm especially wary of.

Years ago I was camped out at Willie Creek just north of Broome. I wasn't far away from the pearl farm. For those familiar with the area there's a deeper section of the creek with a sheer drop. On low tide you have a high ledge to fish off but once the tide moves in it'll creep up to the edge in a matter of minutes. Ofcourse, I knew little about tidal systems in the North at that time. I was getting set up for a fish right near the edge just as the tide was turning. I had my back turned away from the water getting a rig set up. Taking my sweet time tying my rig and sorting through my tackle box I was finally ready to cast a line. I turn back toward the water, rod in hand, and SPLASH! Through the spray I see a big yellow/green tail with black spots slap down at the surface and knock away the end of my rod. It's a bloody croc! My rod swinging round has clearly set him off. The tide had run in fast and brought the water level up near flush to where I'd been crouched setting up.
The locals had mentioned there was a resident 3.5 meter croc moving about that estuary so I can only assume it was this fella or another big boy from the area. Raised the hairs on the back of my neck to think he was watching me and perhaps seconds from lunging out at me. Since that experience I have a very healthy respect for these beasts. I'm probably a little more cautious in keeping my distance from the edge of waterways than the average joe these days but IMO you can't be too careful.

yep...i hate crocs...sneaky buggers...i think the only time i freaked out camping was in tassie...I was out in the middle of the night doin an old mans business and i could hear an absolute screaming guttural noise...scared the hell outa me...really!!!..and then i thought theres nothing here that would hurt me??? as soon as i got back in the tent it stopped...it was so loud it woke the missuss...what the hell was that she said...I didnt know...coupla days later we were at gunns wildlife park and we were checking out the the cute devils...then they fed em...nasty little things ...LOL...but there was that nasty noise...so there was a tassie devil close to camp... :cool:...so just start out close to home...and get used to it...if you still get the worries just go to a van park or camp with others...I used to get the willies being by myself when i was younger,,but now im ok.not eveyone out there wants to hurt you ..theres more good people out there than bad..good luck

madtuna said:
Feel free to come out camping with me if you want company.
Theres plenty of room in the deep freezer with the other 2 backpackers, 3 prospectors and this 1 guy who Im not sure what he was but he just looked at me funny.
Free air con then ? Tempting :playful:

lordo.1 said:
This has been a great read so far for me. But can anyone find a solution for vgh .Maybe as simple as don't go on your own.No its to good a read to be that simple.
I don't take a mirror or anything too reflective. Sometimes I look at myself the wrong way.

1557528997_kn.jpg

Why don't you just take a buddy or two along with you? Or you could just stay in a motel or get a cabin/van in a caravan park?

The thought of having an angry bear rip thru my tent and tear me to shreds makes me shudder - but my inner voice said to me that I need to challenge myself. So I did, and now I camp solo in State Forests a couple of times a year down here in Victoria, so far so good :Y:

casper

casper said:
The thought of having an angry bear rip thru my tent and tear me to shreds makes me shudder - but my inner voice said to me that I need to challenge myself. So I did, and now I camp solo in State Forests a couple of times a year down here in Victoria, so far so good :Y:

casper

Have a beer around a campfire with Ivan? :lol: :fire: :beer:

Latest posts