How and where to sample a placer deposit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone I have an area here that is like a placer deposit half exposed resting on a slate bedrock it has been worked in the past but there are many other deposits the same that have not been uncovered having never had anything explained to me about where does the gold concentrate in these deposits and where should someone start looking for colour is it in the slate or in on or under the hard pack any help would be greatly appreciated..
1458717787_img_3900.jpg
1458717807_img_3901.jpg
1458717835_img_3902.jpg
1458717855_img_3903.jpg

Hi
Like this and will follow with interest.
Your 2nd pic shows some loose gravel at the bottom which if you can remove and inspect the bedrock may give a clue.
Saw a vid where anything stuck to the bedrock was scrapped and collected for panning on the basis that gold will sink untill it can go no further. They ignored the loose topsoil. The hardpack would have been soft at some stage. Also look for crevises. If the top of the slate is soft or discoloured try scratching down a couple of mm.
If the gold is still moving the hardpack may also become your bedrock, if that makes sense. Sample,sample, sample.

I am also inexperienced and want to investigate some "virgin" country which will included dry creeks and gullies.

Time for the experts to help.
Cheers
Bob

I can fully understand what your saying Bob and it does make perfect sense the way you have described it ;) cheers for that, now if you were on lets say fresh (virgin) ground that one knew was identical to the ones in the photo that were just below the surface should you be looking to sample the most mineralized area directly on top of the hard pack and dig down through it or should you look for where the brim (edge) of the hard pack rests on top of the slate and would one start sampling at the top or the bottom and work your way under the hard pack if this new area was in a gully lets say ? and my final question is when I decide to dig I would like to be within my legal boundaries so to speak and I was just looking at the rules and obligations and I noticed that the depth that was allowed is no longer stated in the rules and obligations http://www.energyandresources.vic.gov.au/earth-resources-regulation/recreational-prospecting-and-fossicking/rules-and-obligations has it been revised and does it come under health and safety now as in you need to have fall protection in place by someone who is qualified by Work Safe to erect fall protection as I thought the rule was you cant dig over 2 meters well at least that was what I thought any clarification in regards to depth would be a good start as it may not be worth the bother.. GC

As I said I am inexperienced but I would be looking for exposed bedrock which you can trace back into a bank for example or fault lines and crevices which would trap gold.
Worn rocks above the bedrock would indicate you are actually on a watercourse.
Regarding my virgin ground intentions, I plan to poke around the creeks in the Greenhills/Bago Forest area near Batlow as there is some evidence of workings in the area.
Thats the plan anyway.

I have both Vic and NSW Fossicking permits which on the surface appear similar and a figure of 1 cubic metre in a 48 hour period is mentioned. I wish I did not look that up as it looks as if a 12volt trommel would fall under " mechanised extraction and PROCESSING of material ".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaQnxdR0PYs Try this "Aussie Bloke Prospector"

If push comes to shove you may have treat the hardpack as bedrock and sample both. My bet would be on the Bedrock.

Cheers
Bob

PS Be very careful if working under overhanging banks.

Thanks heaps again Bob for your thoughts very rarely you find water worn rocks as in like river gravel but you can find them here and there within some shallow wash material in certain areas of the reef hills Benalla as the only creek that ran through it is under about 20 ft of overburden but is there none the less ! I wish you all the best in your endeavours what ever they maybe , the rules change from state to state I would look into the 12 volt set up for the trommel as like in S.A don't quote me but I think they say no mechanical extraction but they allow you to work a trommel like the one you described 12v so I would just check it if I was you as it maybe ok to use.

Previously on this forum I mentioned I was a thermot welder for 20yrs but to quite honest with you all I was primarily an operator of heavy earthmoving equipment so trust me when I say ( I will not work under a overhang wether it be soil or hard pack) you have my word on that lol unless its shored up properly that is .. ;) GC

p.s Thanks for the link the video is very informative in fact some would say priceless !! :cool:

Hi greencheeks 77... Whilst your pictures are good it is sometimes difficult to get a proper handle on the conditions of the actual site.It is unclear (to me)whether the slate you talk of lay's just under the loose material in the hole in pic2. what does seem to me to be the case is that it looks very much like a former test hole ,due to the regular squared off shape of the thing. You will find that you will get a variety of ideas about where to proceed from here. I can only give you my take on it and how i would approach this ground.....Firstly the overburden or hard gravels you have on the surface are as hard as they appear due to the fact that at some time in the past they have been fairly extensively overladen by some other weather event and were subjected to a long period of pressure as a result.I would not dismiss the likely hood of those gravels being rich in themselves.. so I would extend that hole by say a spade width and puddle the resultant debris in a pan or tub suitably large enough for that purpose,then pan it out and see what results you find...don't be surprised if your pleasantly surprised... :cool: :cool: .if so then you know you have a good alluvial deposit at your disposal :) albeit, one that will require a great deal of processing. Next i would clear the floor of your dig till you reveal the hard surface of the slate.if that slate as been open to the elements ,as it looks, then you will find you can actually scrape into the slate surface an inch or two..that's good'' for that's where you will find a LOT of gold..if its there... as it should be... as it will have dropped out of that hard packed gravels you see overlying it when it was wet and sloppy.From there on in you may well be faced with ever growing extension of the diggings you already have before you... only your initial trials as i have humbly suggested will tell....... One of the things my old grandfather told me in asking him where to find gold was...""ITS ON TOP OF THE SLATE SON.. YA GOTTA DIG DOWN TO THE SLATE... SCRATCH THE BEJESUS OUT OF THE SURFACE MATE,,CLEAN IT UP WITH A BLOODY GOOD BRUSH..that's where it is"" ;) I hope this may give you the confidence you need to go at it. Based on the pictures you have provided this is how i would approach this site AND SO YOU MAY HAVE TO WEIGH UP WHETHER OR NOT ITS GOING TO BE WORTH YOUR TIME AND EFFORT..I'm not yelling by the way..just trying to highlight those things i deem important. Good luck with it ...ROSSCO :cool:aka reefer

sorry if this is a hijack,
I have been detecting a fairly similar site and the nugglets I have retrieved have generally been in the darkest red or orange areas with the most minerally look that nearly sparkles , but a couple were in water courses and I believe they had washed there. I am pretty lucky as I am 99% sure no ones touched the site for a hundred years.

I am really struggling to decipher exactly how they dug and worked the site. in greencheeks last photo there is a mound behind the pond between the trees , is this tailings heap or a undug area ? if its undug would they have had gear working on it or was it deemed to be barren ?

the site I am playing with has many of these mounds and the trouble with my site is the ground looks hard but it is very loose to work, even out of the surfaced area it looks like a pick would barely mark it, but it is loose and you can nearly drag a pick through it. all this makes it very hard to figure what has been dug and what hasn't .

they seem to have dug willy nilly with trenches 4 to 12 ft deep from original ground level in allsorts of directions with most of the ground between dug 2 to 3 ft . there are many mounds that look totally undug some with stones piled on them some with out. are these barren ? or would sieves and rockers been on them ?
there is very little bedrock and they seem to have dug to a clay level and stopped generally .
as I said it baffles me to how they worked it as there would be 5 different colors of ground in the area dug and as much work was done in each , there is a creek 100 meters away at about 20 meters lower , would they have taken the dirt to the water or the water to the dirt it seems like the dirt has gone .

I know its hard without pictures but I am not willing to do that publically and yes I probably should have started my own thread but it sorta fits here , so any help would be good even diagrams of how other old sites were worked.

oh yeh the test pits in the picture , at my site the trenches they have dug up hill out past the surfaced area ,nearly all have a pit dug about 6 ft further up then the end of the trench , dug to about the depth of the trench. why ?

Here I will try to confuse you all now with an illustration :eek: here in the first pic the reef of gold was at the top of the pic out of sight in the picture and I imagine worked its way down the hill over time the orange circled areas are just the high points of the slate bedrock and as the gold travels down between the high points acting like a channel, and above the red mark is all the overburden, as they worked there way up the hill the sunk test holes to follow the direction that the gold was coming from hence the holes you see in your own area they were the most concentrated of mineralized pockets and some reached down to the bedrock in this case it was slate and the blue circle is from someone that was more clued on than me :lol: now pretend you took the photo and then turned around and took the bottom photo now that is where the hard pack meets the slate and the orange marked area is hard slate covered with some loose rubble .. really I hope it makes sense :rolleyes:
1458964386_reefy.jpg
1458964625_slate.jpg

It makes perfect sense to me Greencheeks... the bottom area in front of that consolidated gravel is where i would begin testing. It appears that it is the lowest point down from the top picture,,,right.. so gold will find its way over time to where?.. the NADIR..ie...the lowest point!,,,You HAVE to start somewhere...right? so start with that loose detritus overlaying the slate. ;) then try breaking through that aggregate and test some of it... my guess is that if there's gold it will be low in the gravels there... sitting on and into the surface of the slate.cheers ROSSCO.. Aussiefarmer..those pits at the end of those numerous trenches suggests to me that they were constructing a banjo.. that is they dig a long trench(six.ft) into which they would lay a blanket and then cut and fit timber riffles across its length..at the head of the trench where you see what looks like a test hole is in fact a pit leading to the riffles on top of which was placed a sheet of roofing iron or top of a drum into which they had poked a pickhead through and all over to form a grate. gold bearing material was placed on top of this and water applied by bucket or other means.the gold was of course caught in the riffles in the same way as a rocker or modern day highbanker way. I dont think they would have taken water up to them however if there is evidence of a race having been there then they may well have..other than that i am at a loss to decipher your dilemma...cheers :cool:

Yeah its hard to put it into words when i dont understand it myself , i have seen other workings and usually i can seen how they would have worked it and see patterns in the digging or even colours in the ground but my site seems willy nilly but to shift approx 500 to 1000 tons they must have knew what they were doing.
The trenches would be 2 to 4 meters wide upto 50 meters long and 2 to 5 meters deep , tthey stop about 2 meters before the pits that would be 1 to 2 meters square and upto 2 meters deep. To me they seem to have dug a type of ground and maybe the pitts were to see if it started again maybe, it is on steep country so i have thought maybe they were there to stop water rushing down the trench .
The dirt in the trench looks nothing like the ground that was surfaced and really doesnt look like gold would be there. They all start from the surfaced area so surely they were chasing the color .

Seems like those pits were to catch the gold bearing tailings?
perhaps those trenches are the result of hydraulic sluicing rather than hand dug. there are similar workings at the shoalhaven in various places i've seen that are similar to what you describe but they were done utilizing extensive water races.I'm at a loss to explain these obviously extensive excavations... but if you are detecting nuggets in and around them, then who cares..hehe :cool: good luck with it all my freind. cheers.... Rossco

As for greencheeks77 if you believe the gold has come from above i would be digging a trench across the undug upper level of the site looking for high mineral content and maybe river worn quarts or atleast smokey quarts, i believe most sites were never fully dug just the richest parts and were usually abandoned for promises of better rushes. Imo

Cheers Rossco & Aussiefarmer and everyone that has helped me understand where to start searching I don't think I will dig on this particular area but instead I will scratch around in another area that is identical but not yet touched, now that I have a better understanding of the ground I feel confident that I can locate some nice little nugg nugg's or pickers as some might call them ;) thanx :cool: GC

Latest posts