Where are the alluvial gold bonanzas of the past?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some beginners may find this background useful

The discovery of placer gold in Victoria in 1851 led to a major rush, and by the end of the year, Bendigo, Ballarat, and Castlemaine had all been discovered. For the next decade most of the 2 to 3 Moz of gold produced per year was from placer workings, and for a time nearly half the worlds gold production came from Victoria, although annual production was in steady decline after the first ten years, increasing slightly around the 1870s when the technology to mine deeply-buried alluvial gold (deep leads) was developed, and in the 1890s depression when large-scale quartz mining became important.

1605772394_fig1.jpg

However, have you ever wondered why, despite the number of nuggets that continue to be found in Victoria today by metal detecting, you rarely hear of much gold coming from alluvial (placer) mining in modern Victorian streams, compared with the apparent richness of the past? Despite half of Victorias historical production being from placer gold?

1605772547_fig_2.jpg

It is very easy (and therefore satisfying as a hobby) to get some colours but difficult to find large quantities (and the old miners had to find an ounce a week just to keep alive). It is only partly because so many streams are now off-limits, and only partly because gold in active streams could rapidly be mined then and there were few environmental constraints. Instead it is probably because most of Victorias placer gold is not really placer (unlike the case in parts of some other major placer fields such as California), but came from palaeoplacers.

Palaeoplacers are deeply buried or uplifted river beds from at least 15 million years ago, and their present position in the topography is unrelated to modern drainage patterns. Most of these fossil rivers were much bigger than modern rivers, and contained far more gold-bearing gravel than modern streams. The alluvial gold was brought up shafts, and mined on hillsides and hilltops, and not in presently-flowing streams. Most nuggets then and now occur in their original quartz reefs, in soil downslope from them (eluvial gold), and in the old palaeoplacer valleys (where they are often now found in material thrown out around the shaft collar a hundred or more years ago). Hence the greater overall success today of detectorologists relative to people panning and sluicing in streams in many cases they are detecting palaeoplacer gold (as well as eluvial and quartz reef gold).

Hughes, M. J., Phillips, G. N. and Carey, S. P. 2004. Giant placers of the Victorian gold province, SEG Newsletter, 56, (1), 1118.

Thanks, goldierocks. Very helpful information and well-crafted to pass on to others when such questions arise.

Yes! palaeoplacer deposits, TURTON's CREEK in South Gippsland is one famous example. Fabulously rich, the gold was the size of wheat grains andeasily visible in the stream bed. It is said that 6 tons of gold came out of a mile stretch of the creek and in 3 months it was exhausted and the "rush" was over.

casper said:
Yes! palaeoplacer deposits, TURTON's CREEK in South Gippsland is one famous example. Fabulously rich, the gold was the size of wheat grains andeasily visible in the stream bed. It is said that 6 tons of gold came out of a mile stretch of the creek and in 3 months it was exhausted and the "rush" was over.
I'm not sure whether Turton's Creek was a palaeoplacer or a true placer (there are some in Victoria). I have examined it - looked a bit more like a placer to me. although some Geological Survey geologists claimed that it had been a palaeoplacer and the modern stream had followed a similar course, repeatedly cutting through the Palaeoplacer and deriving some gold from it. It did not last long because frankly it was a crummy little goldfield. Be wary - from memory (which is deteriorating with age) it only produced about one and a half tons of gold (local anecdotes often differ from the records of the Mining Wardens, which is what I use for production figures - but they can be incorrect also, just less often). Every local wants to increase the importance of where they live. An interesting field though, in that the ultimate primary source of the gold was never found....the reason that I explored around there. Perhaps those figures included the more important Foster production nearby. The gold was coarse as you say, with some nuggets, and minor osm iridium was also produced (initially discarded).

Thanks for the corrections .... It is a magic place though isn't it, it feels positively primeval when down in the creek gully at N01 Claim, and it's home to tallest tree ferns I've encountered, a T-REX would'nt be out of place :D

The "stripping" (the over burden) was said to be 6 feet on a slate base, I tried to get down to it but gave up...

casper said:
Thanks for the corrections .... It is a magic place though isn't it, it feels positively primeval when down in the creek gully at N01 Claim, and it's home to tallest tree ferns I've encountered, a T-REX would'nt be out of place :D

The "stripping" (the over burden) was said to be 6 feet on a slate base, I tried to get down to it but gave up...
The only thing that I cannot guarantee is the production figure - that was simply out of my head, and it is hard to retain all the production figures for every goldfield in Victoria, especially since I make no attempt to remember those that produced less than 10 tonnes :)

Yes, it is an amazing place.

I just checked - about 60,000 ounces - so slightly less than 2 tonnes. The one and a half tonnes (approx 46,000 oz) that I suggested was not so far out - the grey matter has not completely seized. From memory there were also fragments of native antimony in the wash in a tiny gully o the southeast side of the field (Pinchgut? - now I am guessing). I have some idea where the gold might be coming from, but on thinking about it the last time I seriously looked at the area was more than half a century ago, although I have visited since just for the scenery.

casper said:

This brings me a grin! Very interesting as I was just about to revive an older thread on Turtons Creek as I will be heading there in a couple of weeks for the first time.

Good to know a little bit more about the area from the above posts and sounds like a beaut spot to spend a day or two. Any pointers on working this particular creek are welcomed. Thanks.

goldierocks said:

I just checked - about 60,000 ounces - so slightly less than 2 tonnes. The one and a half tonnes (approx 46,000 oz) that I suggested was not so far out - the grey matter has not completely seized. From memory there were also fragments of native antimony in the wash in a tiny gully o the southeast side of the field (Pinchgut? - now I am guessing). I have some idea where the gold might be coming from, but on thinking about it the last time I seriously looked at the area was more than half a century ago, although I have visited since just for the scenery.

60,000 ozs :) I knew that there was a 6 in there and it was a largish number O:) I'm well on the wrong side of 60 and so my next trip to Turtons will be for the scenery too ..... 'tis young persons country in there. I had it in mind to sample up to those dykes at the heads of the gullys but the undergrowth is impenetrable.

casper said:
goldierocks said:

60,000 ozs :) I knew that there was a 6 in there and it was a largish number O:) I'm well on the wrong side of 60 and so my next trip to Turtons will be for the scenery too ..... 'tis young persons country in there. I had it in mind to sample up to those dykes at the heads of the gullys but the undergrowth is impenetrable.
Yes, the dykes are a possibility. Except I think one is not a dyke.

reynard said:
Best advice i can give is watch out for the tigers this time of the year.
Jim. :argh:
Tasmanian or Quoll or Tantanoola (unlikely to be the first with the borders closed)?

I live about half hour from turtons. Been there a couple of timeswith the kids mainly sightseeing. Beautiful place. Managed to sneak a couple of pans in. Got a couple of colours. Nothing great but always sits in the back of my mind. Interesting i might have to try a deeper hole. Thanks for the advice guys. Went looking for the mine but never found it. It was supposed to be after some deep ancient river gravel. Correct me if im wrong please

Nothing terribly deep there. so many of the shallow shafts collapsed. Don't know of any deep river gravel - in fac t the older gravels seem to be just above modern creek level.

Being a amateur prospector the place was like visiting a different country compared to the creeks that i usually go. No quartz mo iron stone lots of clay balls. Very unusual

Does any body know or have a theory as to why Victoria was chosen for these Palaeoplacers to occur? Are there many in other states also? I find it interesting and it might explain a few things I've often wondered about.
Cheers skip

Gold info Yella (pardon the pun)

That's a recent study and I'll take it on board,
So what I'm basically understanding is the older the land the more chance of gold.

Skip said:
Does any body know or have a theory as to why Victoria was chosen for these Palaeoplacers to occur? Are there many in other states also? I find it interesting and it might explain a few things I've often wondered about.
Cheers skip

Alluvial gold continued up into eastern NSW and Queensland. Firstly, earlier gold in the quartz reefs in the bedrock. Combined to the eastern seaboard region, Pine Creek area and Western Australian goldfields in the main. Secondly, uplift of the immediate coastal region related to a number of factors, including splitting of Antarctica and New Zealand/New Caledonia/Lord Howe Rise from Australia. Caused uplift and therefore active rivers.

Victorian placers partly rich, because more gold-quartz veins were there, partly because of two cycles of alluvial gold deposition. First one formed, then the area uplifted and concentrated gold from the first one into a second set of new rivers. All of this was aided by deep weathering that altered the bedrock to clay, so the only solid material at surface was mostly clay, quartz pebbles and gold. These washed into the rivers, the clay washed out to sea, the quartz and gold stayed behind because it was coarse and heavy. You will notice that in central Victoria, quartz pebbles are often much more abundant than other rock pebbles for that reason.

The sequence being
(1) gold-quartz veins formed in Palaeozoic bedrock - NZ, Antarctica etc, still [art of Australian continent.
(1) big rivers formed on a low-relief area that was weathered to clay, quartz and gold - initial palaeoplacers formed in them (all in Palaeogene - used to be called Early Tertiary).
(2) coastal ranges formed by uplift, new rivers formed, concentrated gold from the earlier river gravels (later in Palaeogene up into the Neogene (used to be called Late Tertiary). A bit continuing up to the present.

PIne Creek region and Eastern goldfields of WA lacked the degree of uplift (new mountain ranges). Most pronounced in Victoria where an east-west range also formed parallel to Bass Strait (not just north-south up the coast)/

Latest posts