hot rocks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you take hot rocks home and how to know if it's a hot rock OR a rock with gold hidden inside it>? For example a few of them are Porphry red colour stone with white spots on the inside (found near taradale on a hill), Another is a conglomerated stone of possible scoria dispersed with sharp quartz pieces giving me a consistent signal on the sadie, so I took them home (found near an open pit mine in the bush at fryerstown). Can't see any gold visually though on the outside. Just wondering if anyone takes stuff like this (rocks that give signals) home or should I be chuckin back on the hole!

Its a tough call, especially for where you found it. They can be very common, I've found them up to 3" large rocks, dark red, heavy and bings under my mates detector like hell.

He said he has broken gold from them before, so keep taking them home and inspecting them. The ones I've personally found, have just been magnetic lumps of irons with small gravel conglomerate stuck over it from the same area.

Crush it or break it with a hammer first and pan it if you see no visible gold. That way your certain its not gold ( unless its microscopic )

Ive smashed up the ones from near taradale which is more just scoria with a thin laminated quartz on the side. No colour as yet though. Probably need one of those small falcon probes to be sure for next time. And the dolly pot. Was just curious as only found 3 of them hot rocks out of 25 pieces of trash so really more hoping then anything else.

I found what looked like a hot rock yrs ago with my sd2200, took it back to the car and got my prospecting mate to check it wih his 3000, it said it was ferrous but i broke it open anyway aaannndd out popped a little oddly fish shaped bit of gold. dont chuck em.

The easiest way to tell is use A VLF Detector and the signal is just as Loud but the whole signal sounds soft and they seem to signal after the Detector has gone past the Rock, and if it has a meter some say hot Rock and some give you a Reading IE -95 or +95 some say 0+.

Hope this helps,, John

Latest posts