Honda WX15 Oil

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yass00_Au

Ross
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Pump has been sitting on my lounge room table for a few weeks now as I've been a little busy so I had some time to read manual today and head off to Supershite Auto for oil and I did not do very well there with the guy stocking the floor knew next to nothing about Honda oil specs so I did not get much out of him for alternatives..

In the manual it recommends 10w - 30 SJ or later, I did a bit of a Google search and couldn't find much on SJ reference to the oil so I was wondering what brand and type of oil you guys running Honda WX15 use?

I did however browse through the oil in Supershite Auto and this is what I found:

Marine Outboard 4 Stroke 10w - 30..

10w - 30 Mineral Car Oil..

10w - 30 Fully Synthetic Car Oil..

And then there was references to detergent free or % with detergents..

I was thinking about the old Castrol commercials when I was browsing the oil specs and scratching my head saying "Oils a'int oils"..

Cheers,

Ross

Pretty sure just standard 30 Grade lawn mower oil is the go.
Ring a Honda dealer perhaps - then you'll be covered with warranty

Ag Man said:
Pretty sure just standard 30 Grade lawn mower oil is the go.
Ring a Honda dealer perhaps - then you'll be covered with warranty

Hey Ag Man,

I shot off an email to the Honda Maintenance Department this arvo, not being optimistic they will reply so yeah I will ring them tomorrow..

Not worried about warranty as there isn't any as an american import, more concerned about putting the right stuff in and maintaining the pumps longevity..

I run the Genuine Honda Premium 10w / 30 and get it from the local Honda dealer. It costs about a dollar more than the alternative oils but at least you know it's not Chinese junk oil. I've run it in my wx15 for the last 10 years and the motor hasn't missed a beat. ;)

Cheers Wal,

I just had a look here - Online manual http://powerequipment.honda.com/pdf/manuals/31YF2602.pdf

It says for general operation use Automotive 10-30 oil .
Go with normal mineral oil - it's not a highly stressed sports engine.

Or if using in temperatures 10degrees - 40degrees use 30 grade oil.

If you still don't get anywhere with the Honda help line, just go to your local mower shop - they'll tell ya.

Any of the known brands will be fine, just stay away from the home brand budget stuff. You get what you pay for.

Ag Man said:
I just had a look here - Online manual http://powerequipment.honda.com/pdf/manuals/31YF2602.pdf

It says for general operation use Automotive 10-30 oil .
Go with normal mineral oil - it's not a highly stressed sports engine.

Or if using in temperatures 10degrees - 40degrees use 30 grade oil.

If you still don't get anywhere with the Honda help line, just go to your local mower shop - they'll tell ya.

Any of the known brands will be fine, just stay away from the home brand budget stuff. You get what you pay for.

Hey Ag Man,

Please see PDF link bellow of Nadiene Stewart's reply from Honda.. She went to town on the information provided which I did not even expect a reply to tell you the truth and yeah I read my manual several times but for a n00b like myself it sometimes sounds a bit confusing particularly in new areas of experimentation and hearing what other guys do helps you make an informed decision..

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/320/1371707023_honda_power_equipment_sae_10w-30_mineral_oil.pdf

Cheers mate,

Ross

WalnLiz said:
I run the Genuine Honda Premium 10w / 30 and get it from the local Honda dealer. It costs about a dollar more than the alternative oils but at least you know it's not Chinese junk oil. I've run it in my wx15 for the last 10 years and the motor hasn't missed a beat. ;)

Cheers Wal,

Hey Wal,

I went the same way, I bought 10w - 30 SJ 1L for $15 from a Honda PE dealer as capacity is .25L so if I run banker during during the colder months (early Spring and late Autumn) I have the benefit of cold start up range and I wont need a 5L drum sitting in the garage expiring.. I'll be happy if I use it every month during the season and sometimes during the winter when I am having withdraw symptoms :eek:

Cheers,

Ross

I run mine for a full 12 month season and change the oil once a year. Flogged the hell out of it for close on 10 years, and still doesn't miss a beat. A 5 buck oil change once a year won't break the bank either.

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts