Holden dead how sad

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ded Driver said:
I still have a fully worked 186 red motor in my shed. Remnant from my '72 HQ Premier wagon that got t-boned in 1985.

Gold :goldnugget: :Y:

1585546708_screenshot_261.jpg

Ded Driver said:
I still have a fully worked 186 red motor in my shed. Remnant from my '72 HQ Premier wagon that got t-boned in 1985.
My first car was a windowless hq panel van 179 bored and stroked yella terra heads 350 holley. It was a weapon. End up selling it to my little sisters boyfriend. He wrote it off in 2 weeks 8.( 8.( 8.(
I regreted selling it the minute I handed over the keys

Only just started getting full night sleep since Holden left.

The noise of rusting cars Squeaking DunnyDoors has now disappeared :playful:

Early model commodores were good vb thru to vk
I always wanted to chop the roof on one and turn it into a coupe :lol:

savage bitter said:
Rockhunter62 said:
Holden died when they released the Commodore. :N:

Cheers

Doug
it was more around the cruz and captive barina and so on
Amen to that Doug. They tried to compete with the japanese Manufacturers and still make a killing :money: by importing underdeveloped poorly engineered rebadged korean Daewoos :poop: in preference to keeping a manufacturing business in Australia and it turned around and bit them on their corporate LH drive arses. :awful:

Holden died because it wouldn't invest in technology. It has reaped what it had sown. They didn't try competing with anybody. That was the problem.

Yes true Magoo but also labor fees in Oz went out the roof from our then high standards of living.
Jap crap manufacturing eventually became pretty bloody good `i` think it was due their refined motor cycle industry that improved that.
Their engines were in fine machine tolerances with Aviation Standards.
Then i believe the Japanese Living standards rose so cheaper labor was sort giving labour to China.
Some Holden parts i guess had a Chinese Labels.
One difference is though the Japs got their act together in a decade or so & we didn`t here of the Word ``Crap`` anymore.
The Chinese have had plenty of time to get things right but they still skimp on metal quality.
I don`t know what they mix in their smelters but from my observation the steel i see is like tooth filling amalgam crumbles on contact.
Considering China has ( bought or Australia has sold them ) The Best Pig Iron in the World not to mention Coal in that smeltering process and we receive 3rd grade products from them.
`i` think their skimpiness is outrageous and has been going on way to long.
Just wish there was an alternative option to buying products on the bread & butter list from some where else.
Now China is getting back on track manufacturing as this Global disaster is easing for them The Joke on them as no one has any doe to buy their stuff.
Our dollar value has dropped were going to get less for our exchange.
God knows if we ever went to War against them what manufacturing plants do we have left to support our selves in that hypothetical event.
One thing`s for shore i will never Fly China Air Ways & will never place Chinese Bearings in my Vehicles.
To be honest Holden picked a really bad time to close their doors hopefully their Plants still remain we may need them.

Well I'll be buggered!
Bush you made a post that actually made sense!

Congratulations! :trophy:

Thanks mate``No Aversion`` things can only get better. :perfect:
Just Kidding 8.(

The Europeans are very innovative in their vehicle technology. Generally any advancements come through Europe. The Japs take this technology and improve on the reliability at the price of refinement. And it keeps them in the market and generally they can produce the cars cheaper, although more boring than Europe do. Holden did not. When every other manufacturer was working on how to improve emissions and performance Holden stuck with the outdated poor performing push rod motor.
Never going to make it in the huge emission conscious European market. At the same time these emission conscious European and Japanese vehicles could easily comply with Australian compliance. Although I do remember the earlier one's struggled with the poor fuel quality and a jumper pin was fitted so the ECU could adjust to the fuel quality.
The diagnostic protocol Holden used did not fit with the EOBD or OBD protocol thus making it un sell-able to many markets. The writing was one the wall. Nothing to do with labour costs (Opel, Vauxhall, Saab are all still alive), although that would of compounded the problem. GM just wasn't interested.

Holden fell by the wayside because of lack of innovation and failure to keep up with modern expectations and fuel economy was not good as the price of fuel rose. Forget the China/Jap conspiracy theory. GM knew what was going on, it just wasn't worth investing the money in when they could spend the money with a more centralized manufacturer like Opel. Yes, the high labour costs would of compounded this.

Brings back memories. Old reel to reel Movie.
The Cars That Ate Paris is a 1974 Australian horror comedy film.
Shot mostly in the rural town of Sofala, New South Wales.

Latest posts