History of Bendigo Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tom. The tourist info place had reprinted copies of G Mackay's 1891 'History of Bendigo' (1891). A great read especially as the quartz mines were still in full-swing then.

Thanks for posting that, it was a good watch! I was down in Huntly just the other day, wondering about the high, layered walls on the creek,now I know it's the yellow sludge etc, from yesteryear!

Cheers, Paul.

Not sure if you've mentioned this one previously "The Bendigo Goldfields Registry" 2nd Ed. .... a very poor copy was for sale at Fryerstown Antique Fair back in Jan.
They wanted $around $200 but too poor condition for my liking, would have had to spend heaps to get it to a reasonable condition (was thinking of trying a good bookbinder in Bendigo).
I reckon even some of the advertising is great/interesting.

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/246506

Know on anyone that does good protective covers to keep dust jackets etc getting wrecked?
Cheers Tom

Thanks Teemore - that's a cracker of a book. Don't know of any book binders in Bendigo - tried asking at the library? The folks there are pretty helpful.

Howdy slowflow, notice in the text they refer to bendigo as "sandhurst" if your hunting goldfields its a good one to check, i bought a series of gold maps and one is of sandhurst, i overlayed current maps on top only to find some of the gullies to be hundreds of meters out,one in particular was "Brandy Gully" at the northern end of the whipstick's the current topo maps show it to far accross to the west by 2 gullies, i also found some very narrow, named gullies that are lost from the latest topo maps alltogether........interesting read though mate, nice one...... 8)

Hey guys
Does anyone know anything or heard of the qualtrough family from golden square
My grandma has a house in golden square on bell Vue road that which was built by the qualtrough family in 1865
And has been in our family since my mum was 14
If anyone knows anything of its history and the qualtrough family please let me know as I'm very interested in it

I found out that the house was designed an built for Robert lisle a pioneer in bendigo at the time

Victoria's min-veiw is a great resource for mining claims as well. :)
My Grandmothers house was where the Motel is now across the road
from the Fire Station in Gold Square.

Small world Harri. :) :)
All that is left is the drive way in the gutter in the street. :)
Does the name Grimmett ring a bell. ??
We as kids used to play in the park across the street.
I still remember catching the Tram to go to town. :) :)

Was the Statue of Dick Turner there then??
Grimmett does not ring a bell. My Grandparents surname was Killen.
And my uncle had the butchers shop in Golden Square Frank Johns.
And the rest of the family lived in Shamrock street. The Foundary Arms now has been extended over the family home.

Yes,
I did not know the name of the statue but I knew it was there.
Did you know that there were three shafts under the park. ?
Also The old house was over the top of one as well.
Down the back of the block there was another one. :eek:
They are still there sealed off properly.