Highbanking in difficult water

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Highbankerers, today I was highbanking in enough water to run but Was interrupted constantly by the algae and debis clogging the sieve, the water flow was still clean in the uptake though, has anyone been able to come up with anything to run uninterrupted in this situation?

Cheers eve

Sounds like you need a strainer or filter on your inlet end of your pick up hose. cheers Jemba

A jute sack , like a spud bag on your intake , most farmers using ground water to fill the spray tanks will do this to save cleaning the filters as often.

Pu the sack over footvalve loosely and cable tie the open end to your intake hose, problem solved .works for pine needles to.

Oh yeah jemba I forgot to mention the sieve was on the foot valve in this moment so the solution definitely has somthing to do with being able to classify the algae so the water flow is not jeopardised. Has anyone been able to do this? Probably impossible.

Hmmm thanks for that suggestion Aussie farmer, but I probably tried to highbank in the worst conditions I possibly could have today and I think the jute sack would of been the same as having the sieve on the footvalve. But I wont rule it out until Ive tried.

Depends if the debris is floating or sitting on the bottom.

Potato sack as mentioned above takes out 80-90% but it helps if you have some coarse mesh to support it, after my first attempt I chose to remove the potatos , coz then I had lunch too ;)

Platypus strainer works great in shallow water , its about 34 x 34 x 5 cm high and its the first one I made that has never blocked up in 2 - 3 years of use

1516523632_8604b20d-b084-409c-8d1a-7eab28094b25.jpg

Heads up, haha gotta love those potatoes, plenty of them out in central Vic thats for sure.

Platypus strainer, thats awesome ingenuity on your part for making it, well done.
whats the shallowest pool youve run in?

This is a big ask but could you make one for me? It would mean the world.

Cheers GG

The answer you seek is in the hole size and type of material the strainer is made from. Shade cloth works very well. cheers

Yes no doubt jemba, gotta love the platypus strainer heads up has made, it looks so effortlessly good.

HeadsUp said:
Depends if the debris is floating or sitting on the bottom.

Potato sack as mentioned above takes out 80-90% but it helps if you have some coarse mesh to support it, after my first attempt I chose to remove the potatos , coz then I had lunch too ;)

Platypus strainer works great in shallow water , its about 34 x 34 x 5 cm high and its the first one I made that has never blocked up in 2 - 3 years of use

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3632_8604b20d-b084-409c-8d1a-7eab28094b25.jpg

Hey mate, how shallow of a pool can you work with this strainer? Cheers

Ok occasional panner, trying to picture that, will be great to use my intake.dont have to buy another

eve0001 said:
Heads up, haha gotta love those potatoes, plenty of them out in central Vic thats for sure.

Platypus strainer, thats awesome ingenuity on your part for making it, well done.
whats the shallowest pool youve run in?

This is a big ask but could you make one for me? It would mean the world.

Cheers GG

2.5 inch deep water is the shallowest I have worked in

I would love to make a few but I am behind on some customer jobs and currently not taking on new contracts until I get the current ones finished which is about 3-4 months work , already working 7 days a week as it is :(

Sorry I cant help at the moment

The bigger the surface area the finer the screen can be , so your picture has aprox 8 sq inches of surface area , jembas is aprox 30 sq and headsup aprox 50 sq.

So if you went big enough you could draw sufficient water through bed sheet material. Bigger area also allows longer for the screen to block up with crap. Thats where a good thick spud bag (not one of those see through fellas) with 2 rocks and a stick in it will give you upto 150 square inches of filter.

I love the look of that platypus strainer :Y:

A bag a stick to hold it open inside and a big cable tie will get you out of trouble until you get one.

No worries heads up, thanks Aussie farmer very informative, I was beginning to recognise the need for surface area as soon as I saw heads up strainer

aussiefarmer said:
The bigger the surface area the finer the screen can be , so your picture has aprox 8 sq inches of surface area , jembas is aprox 30 sq and headsup aprox 50 sq.

So if you went big enough you could draw sufficient water through bed sheet material. Bigger area also allows longer for the screen to block up with crap. Thats where a good thick spud bag (not one of those see through fellas) with 2 rocks and a stick in it will give you upto 150 square inches of filter.

I love the look of that platypus strainer :Y:

A bag a stick to hold it open inside and a big cable tie will get you out of trouble until you get one.

Actually mine is more than 293 sq inches . ~ 12 x 12 = 144 ( x 2 ) plus a few inches at the top

In reality though , Perf mesh usually has between 40 to 60 % open area so the area of the holes is 175 sq inches.

The average foot valve sold with a pump has about 7 sq inches open area so you can see the effectiveness of mine is derived from confusing the hell out of the leaves and algae , they just dont know which hole to block up so they go home for a beer.

Latest posts